X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    So...

Of the 69320 pledgers:
    • some will want Shenmue III to be the last game in the series and bring the story to an end
    • Some will want Suzuki to take as long as he thinks he needs to finish the story

He's got triple the amount needed for the game to be funded, reopened pledging and is still saying he wants more money.

I can't imagine he would get anywhere near as much money for Shenmue IV, so I'm in the former camp where I want him to use this opportunity to bring the series to an end.
    I think I'm like you with where Shenmue should be taken.

I adored Shenmue and Shenmue 2, warts and all, they were one off games when Sega were at the height and edge of a creative renaissance. Yu Suzuki explicitly stated he had grand visions for the series and I think he mentioned something like 16 chapters.

You could argue that he should see out his vision but creating, let's say, 8 games to finish off the series is just not going to work in todays climate. The original Shenmue and Shenmue 2 were great games but they reached a small audience but also needed the budget a Grand Theft Auto game would require. The 2 don't go into one. Although the kickstarter smashed records, I always wondered how the hell are they going to make a game on the scale of the original games? The money required to model, create and produce a game like that is immense. 6 Million is a small budget on a game with such lofty ambitions.

If I were directing Shenmue III, I would have got a big enough budget to do the game justice, make the scale something approaching the original Shenmue or Shenmue 2 and cut the story down to focus on the hunt for Lan Di and give the player a satisfying conclusion to why he killed your Father and maybe, some form of vengeance. That will give the story an ending to make people satisfied.

What I think is going to happen? The game will focus on the story and gameplay Yu Suzuki wanted to make with Shenmue III originally but won't reveal much and it will be a to be continued. Thus, the saga will end with Shenmue III whether we like it or not.

Comment

They're not actually one-offs because there are two of them. How can it be a "To be continued" and then be the end? That's insanely confusing.

Anyway, I did say that Shenmue 3 would be a disaster didn't I. It's going to be a standard action game with some exploration. The original game was ahead of its time somewhat. Part 3 will not be anything like that at all because the world caught up long ago. Ryu ga Gotoku is basically the same game, but a million times better already.

If Destiny needs a $500m budget, Shenmue 3 is going to be suicide inducing for many, many people with its $6m budget.
      Last edited by J0e Musashi; 06-10-2015, 10:12.
      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I'm leaning more towards re-using the DC assets. That'll save a few bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          Nah, not really. There were a few similarities, but it didn't play particularly like VF.

Ryo could learn some moves in Shenmue 1 via various means that were similar in motion to Virtua Fighter characters, e.g. Akira's dashing elbow and double kick, a VF-style knee-strike...

I also believe in Shenmue 2 you run into several characters who fight with VF character fighting styles (at some kind of fight club?). I haven't played it though so I'm not sure.
          Yes there are 4 characters with fighting styles and animations taken straight from Wolf, Sarah, Jeffery and Lau from VF. In Shenmue 1 Chai fights also fights a lot like Lion. Akira can get Ryo's complete outfit in VF5FS. I do also notice a lot of similarities between Lan Di and Lau. Lau's story is that he's using secretive forbidden martial art that he wants to pass onto a worthy pupil as he's dying from an illness. I did wonder if there was any actual connection between the characters.

Comment

I think Ryo is based on Akira. Shenmue 1 was originallly going to be a VF RPG starring Akira.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
              I'm leaning more towards re-using the DC assets. That'll save a few bob.
              That wouldn't save a penny and anway little of Shenmue III was ever worked on . So its all going to be brand new

Ryu ga Gotoku is basically the same game, but a million times better already.
              It's not quite the same game and for me, Shenmue II is way-way better than any of the Yakuza games . Yakuza games feature much better storyline and scrpts though, unlike the quite laughable at times Shenmue scripts imo

If Destiny needs a $500m budget, Shenmue 3 is going to be suicide inducing for many, many people with its $6m budget.
              OTT. Most games don't even cost $50 dollars to make . I'm sure it be closer to 30 $million needed or the adverage cost of what it takes to make each Yakuza game
              Last edited by Team Andromeda; 06-10-2015, 14:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                Most games don't even cost $50 dollars to make .
                A good example of this is the new Tony Hawk's Pro Skater game

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                  There are tons of virtua fighter references, combat moves etc. in Shenmue. Shenmue started life as a Virtua fighter adventure game or something I think. Like how Panzer Dragoon got a Panzer Dragoon Saga game I guess.
                  You are correct started out as VF RPG with Akira. Hoping some VF6 style stuff would be great if they could make the combat like VF5/ what VF6 could be.

Comment

Quelle surprise.

Comment

I saw that and thought it was a good thing. Having promised they would be KS exclusivez, they should keep that promise IMO.

Comment

I am really not to bothered

You are shown what you can buy and what you get for the money so it is not like you have paid for something then they say you cannot have it.

Comment

Shenmue 3 is real - it still feels slightly strange typing that - and our latest update suggests it's shaping up pretty…

New screens are out for Shenmue 3 and it looks to visually be coming along nicely

Comment

Woah.

Though I'm still quietly thinking

'Please don't turn into DNF. Please don't turn into DNF.'

Comment

It looks nicer than I expected. Oddly, that makes me more nervous for that same reason as Kit. The higher they aim, the less likely it is this will ever finish,

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                                http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...etty-promising

New screens are out for Shenmue 3 and it looks to visually be coming along nicely
                                I'm surprised Yu Suzuki didn't commission another Kickstarter campaign just to publish those screenshots, tbh.

Comment

Working...
                                X