No announcement yet.

Soul Calibur 2- general advice on truly getting better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good way to learn setups in to turn counters ON in training mode.

This way you can easily see exactly which moves will stun when it connects as a counter (Counter = your move stops opponents move)
    So once you know what move does what when it's connects as a counter hit you now need to create setups which will force your opponent to attack - which you will interrupt, stun and respond. The most basic "Keep out" move is down-A, if you want to keep an opponent away you must create a set with high priority/no recovery time moves - you can string a set of moves together for this purpose (they dont need to combinate)

Direction makes a difference - for example a move performed while stepping right may react differently to moves while stepping left. I'm not sure who has this behaviour in SC2 tho, it must be there somewhere (for example a backfist while dodging left will knock the opponent down but one while stepping right will stun)

Also certain moves react differently while you do juggles - some will cause the opponent to lose height while other dont, find the ones that dont! For the juggle freaks: Dont attack head on if you can help it - a diagonal approach is far better (you'll miss verticals and be ready to parry horizontals)

Comment

Originally posted by Saurian
      (Counter = your move stops opponents move)
      Why doesn't someone knock up a glossary of basic beat em up terms that apply across the board - then everyone will be on the same page when we're discussing tactics.

Comment

What do some of the little coloured symbols mean in the commands list? I've worked some of them out (such as detailing if a move connects high, mid, submid or low) but a few others I'm not certain on.

Oh and Saurian... now I'm playing the Weapons Master mode second time around, one of the challenges forces you to play as Lizardman. So some hints, tips and suggestions for moves/combos to use or not use would be appreciated as I haven't managed to beat that one yet
        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Tokuda
          Yunsung- The juries still out for me on how good/bad he is- I`m sceptical hes as bad as Adrien thinks he is because I`ve already played some pretty lethal Yunsung players here.
          Viewed in isolation, Yunsung is not a bad character . I have seen a couple of players use him extremely well. However, many people view him (wrongly) as Hwang Mark 2 and that is blatantly not the case. Whilst 99% of his commands are the same, his actual executaion and timing of attacks is vastly different. For example, Hwang's old 3+A+B was a quick one hit attack that would launch opponents and open up a juggle opportunity. The same command with Yunsung initiates a two hit attack that doesn't offer the same flexibility but is more damaging.

Many have of his moves have a massive lead in time, and his recovery times on certain attacks can be brutal if your opponent capitalises on them.

As a long time Hwang player, my reaction to Yunsung is somewhat apathetic. I simply can't click with his different style yet, and I've yet to meet any Hwang fans who prefer Yunsung. In fact many of Hwang's techniques transfer over better to Xianghua than Yunsung.

However, as mentioned earlier. This does not make Yunsung a bad character. Simply different.

Comment

My old favourite is Ivy I have tried out the new character Rapheal. He has some interesting moves, however his P+K dodge move is very cool. Weapon Master mode has been alot easier than expected, it's time to crank up the difficulty 8)

Comment

Another Ivy fan!

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem
                What do some of the little coloured symbols mean in the commands list? I've worked some of them out (such as detailing if a move connects high, mid, submid or low) but a few others I'm not certain on.

Oh and Saurian... now I'm playing the Weapons Master mode second time around, one of the challenges forces you to play as Lizardman. So some hints, tips and suggestions for moves/combos to use or not use would be appreciated as I haven't managed to beat that one yet
                *evil grin*

Here we go BABY! (using numeric keypad to represent commands) A, B, K and G as normal, linking with + means at the same time.
                HCF = halfcircleforward HCB = halfcircleback

(facing right)

Set ups:

4+B 44B (bite, kick - forces down block, then hits high)***VERY high priority***
                2+A B+K B
                2A A+B then grab (while getting up A+B stuns)
                66B+K then grab
                HCF HCF 8 B+K (5 frames) 2+B B (cancel combo, unblockable after 1st)
                HCF 2+A K B+K B
                66B 44B (no delay, test the water with this. It's better if they block the 1st)
                33K K 44K HCF K (pure kicks - best kicks in Soul Calibur, you can connect 5 different kicks in one juggle)
                66B 11A A (beautiful simple juggle that takes MASSIVE damage)
                Connect 44B+K after a juggle for even more damage.

Vary 4+A A A to 4+A B ***when manz is getting up off the floor: 1+A chase them, 1+A A chase them, 1+A B

Remember 6A B is a very useful move as it has no delay, stick it in whenever you can.

Lizard step

This is DISGUSTING! He can walk forward while blocking
                HCF is his crawl, he can approach at right agles (totally ****ing up the opponent) alternate stuff like HCFHCFHCF to HCF up HCF down. Manz cannot get their heads around it - approach from diagonal as his diagonal run+K is an uppercut which is almost 100% certain it will connect.

HCF+B is insanely powerful if you connect it as a deep counter - it will take around 30% energy if correct. Connect 44B+K afterwards. If you want to scare the hell out of people, pressure them with some of the stuff aboe then stick 4B+K in and throw

T3h Shield

His shield has 2 functions:
                Player 1 side-
                88A stuns
                22A smackdown (use this in mid air juggles, not the other)

Player 2 side
                22A stuns
                88A smackdown

Depending what edge of the shield he smacks you with it's different.

B+K (mid shield attack)
                This can be cancelled for a midmidmid combo that EVERYONE falls for:
                You need to hit the first command, wait a sec then hit 2+B B. If you time it right all 3 combinate and the damage is just racist!

Massive AIRTIME!

66B BK (uppercut, slash, kick)
                66B 11A A 6A (uppercut, lunge strike, slash, shield punch)
                66B 11A 4+A B 9A+B (uppercut, highkick, two hand sword combo, stun)

66B+K A B(timing is key now) B B K
                66B+K A B, B 33K BK

This all connects:
                66B+K A B B 33B B K 66B+K

Try this stuff and you'll be hooked - he's ****ing SICK! He brings balance to the force and is One with The Matrix. This is just a taster! I'm on strike until he's back. I've got stuff with him thats so sick it ****s the camera up

Comment

I seem to be alrite at most beat em ups but never seem to get to a high standard. Is there anything i shud be doing differently, i use Ivy and will use Tokudas steps n see if that helps, but i have never understood the framerate issue, i read about it alot but it seems very confusing. I know that to be a kick ass player u must understand this.

I seem to get to a certain level on beat em ups then can go no further in making myself better, what am i doin wrong? Virtua Fighter 4 is a good example in Kumite with Lion i keep winning a round then loose 2 then win 2 etc, and don't seem to be able to win continously at the level i'm at.

Also bare in mind i have been using controllers for a long time and have only just recently purchased a HORI arcade stick with SC2 got it today, will the stick help alot? As i only go to the arcade a few times and was never used to the arcade sticks there. I was alrite at Tekken 4 on PS2 wiv controller, went to the arcade and cud not barley do a move, i was better at Virtua Fighter n SC2 but still found it hard goin.

Tokuda how do u learn Katakana? Sorry stupid question i know, can u recommend any books sites etc?

Any advice helpful

Thanks

Julian

Comment

Cheers for that Saurian... I'll test out a few and see what happens

Btw what's the HCF actually do... like a quick dodge in the 8wr mode to get round the side of someone? And is it something specific to Lizardman or any character in general?
                    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by wazy15
                      My old favourite is Ivy I have tried out the new character Rapheal. He has some interesting moves, however his P+K dodge move is very cool. Weapon Master mode has been alot easier than expected, it's time to crank up the difficulty 8)
                      Probably the most annoying character to play against. Another way i find that one can improve on there game is to play against some one else as in not the computer. As long as the person is relativly decent at it and sort of learns the game with you kinda improves your reponse time to in between most attacks.

Comment

Maxi being one of the toughest characters to master, i never thought i hear that. Mitsurugi was a character i struggled to do anything with on SC. As for maxi i got pretty good with him when i had SC on DC, even though he has quite a few show of moves he can still be effective if you don`t get caried away with his combos. I was just wondering if has got changed in any way for SC2?

Comment

Originally posted by Hodge
                          Maxi being one of the toughest characters to master, i never thought i hear that. Mitsurugi was a character i struggled to do anything with on SC. As for maxi i got pretty good with him when i had SC on DC, even though he has quite a few show of moves he can still be effective if you don`t get caried away with his combos. I was just wondering if has got changed in any way for SC2?
                          The thing with Maxi is, it's very easy to THINK you are good with him. You press a few buttons and these extravagent looking multi attack strings are played out on screen. Don't mistake things happening on screen with actually mastering a character.

It's interesting that you made a comparison to Mitsurugi saying that you struggled to make him do anything. If you do a straight comparison then Mitsurugi's style is quite different. Whreas Maxi is reliant on the multihit attacks, Mitsu is much stronger with his single or two hit attacks which make up the majority of repertoire. He may not look as flashy but that is just not Mitsu's nature, and you shouldn't expect the Maxi style results when playing as him.

Comment

Btw what's the HCF actually do... like a quick dodge in the 8wr mode to get round the side of someone? And is it something specific to Lizardman or any character in general?
                            It's specific to him - you use it to glide under attacks and approach at right angles using HCF up, HCF down (vary it LOADS)
                            From HCF-HCF up/down he can launch into: (he'll have sneaked round the side of the opponent after the command - so they aint blocking 8) )

Dragon punch (A button)
                            Shoulder barge (B button) - continue with A B if needed. I usually connect just the 1st hit and then cancel into HCB B+K (he jumps on the opponent and tears their face off)
                            *after 1 HCF up/down* jumping leg drop (K button) this move is SICK! do it then hit B+K B, the damage is ridiculous.
                            *after 2 HCF then up/down* Frontflip (K button) You can hit K 3 times or interrupt the 2nd with B

Comment

Tokuda how do u learn Katakana? Sorry stupid question i know, can u recommend any books sites etc?
                              Katakana is absolutely piss easy to learn!

I'm a complete stoner yet I got it in a few hours
                              I did it like this: Got myself a Japanese/English dictionary memorised the Katakana table at the start of it and started trying to read all the katakana in the games I had - it clicks clickly and you'll be able to write it easily. It's purely phonetic with spelling and well easy ^^

Comment

OMG!!!!!!!!!!

I had a ****ing SICK Soul Cali arcade session today!

When I got to the arcade there was a Mitsurugi player on one of the machines who had owned several peeps (he`d won 5 in a row at the time).

I sat down, and we had a Ginooooormous clash of the titans. He was sick with Mitsurugi, but because we both know Mitsu so well, defensively as well as in an attactking sense, we had totally over the top games that drew a crowd of people to start watching our games.

In our first match, I cained him badly(1-0). He chucked a 100yen straight in the play me again.

It then went 2-0, then 2-1, then 3-1, then 3-2, then 4-2, then 4-3, then 5-3, then 5-4, then 6-4, and then he finally gave up the ghost when I beat him again to win 7-4.

I must stress how totally and utterly sickening this match was to watch. For many players, even here, I don`t honestly have to try to hard to beat them, but this guy`s Mitsu and my Mitsu went at eachother full pelt, with all the arrays of sick blocking, lots of parries, lots of feinting moves (by pressing block before you perform certain moves) and the whole shebang. These matches were probably even sicker than the ones I had at Saurians (where we switched players loads as there were loads of different Soul Cali heads and it was winner stays on), as we were so so so evenly matched and we were cancelling eachothers moves out more than we would in other matches. Gaming simply doesn`t get better than this. 8)

This is the beauty of not only Soul Calibur but many fighters. A true test of pure skill. 2 fighters who know EXACTLY what they are doing, and all the double, triple and quadruple bluffs that come with it.

Sorry if I sound a bit OTT here, but my head is still blowing up from these matches earlier.

Comment

Working...
                                X