Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Graphics that almost seemed a generation beyond....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There have been some great mentions in the thread already. However I'd like to mention Jet Set Radio as one of the earliest cell-shaded games that could easily fit in with the PS3/360 era given its graphical stylings. The same is true of its sequel, Jet Set Radio Future.

Comment

Original Starfox. Watched in a shop the demo on a loop, when the ship would crash it would do the pan around the shop. I couldn't beleive my mind. Obviously aged badly, but was amazing the first time around. Same vibe with Metal gear solid 1, watching the demo with snake infiltrating shadow moses, jaw on the floor in a import shop filled with customers doing the same, all just staring thinking we were watching the intro to a playable film. Bought a 32 inch "widescreen" CRT for that game. Thought games couldn't get better ha

Comment

Not so much thinking it looked next gen but Stunt Race FX was outstanding

Animals racing across the road
        Elevated sections and tubes
        Falling boulders
        Planes flying overhead
        Water splash from puddles on the windscreen etc

And all pre-32 bit 3D revolution

Comment

Originally posted by neoyagami View Post
          Original Starfox. Watched in a shop the demo on a loop, when the ship would crash it would do the pan around the shop. I couldn't beleive my mind
          Yeah, although it has certainly aged, I think Starfox is a good call. I remember being really blown away by it. As a child Megadrive fan it was probably the only SNES game I ever wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
            While we're at it, find me anything as artistically accomplished as Arms or Mario Kart 8 on either the Pro/OneX. Only 60fps games accepted.
            Take it you haven't played Dragon Ball FighterZ then.

Comment

While we're at it, find me anything as artistically accomplished as Arms or Mario Kart 8 on either the Pro/OneX. Only 60fps games accepted.
              Shadow of the Collosus, PS4 pro, 1080p 60fps.

Comment

+1 Dragon Ball Z. Also Guilty gear, Shadow of the Colossus remake, Inside, Doom, MGSV, Nier, all have incredible art direction at 60fps. Good art direction should be technology independent, but they certainly benefit from for the extra power

Comment

Excellent. Now we're getting somewhere with stuff that will forever stand the test of time.

Comment

None of them really pushed as much geometry around as the Prime games though.
                    I never viewed Metroid Prime as being a particuarly geometry driven game, the second one was likely better as it had a couple of extra years to get to grip with the hardware, but compare an outdoor environment from M:Prime with Far Cry and there is a significant difference.

Metroid Prime nailed the atmosphere and is more artistically impressive + is a vastly better game that Far Cry.

When people say the graphics, I immediately thing of the technical aspects, but the greatest games are infact the ones that best use their art to make up for their technical shortcomings, particularly on console where you are working within fixed resources.
                    Last edited by EvilBoris; 02-02-2018, 13:13.

Comment

Overwatch Springs to mind

Journey is another one that will forever look fantastic

Comment

It's a hard one because of the 60fps limit. The two rules don't qualify each other so for games with art direction I like I find I'd be ruling them out because the host hardware limitations mean 60fps wasn't possible and yet if the game was on PC or had the random happenstance to be on another format it might have been 60fps (or at least have a more consistent rate). On the flip side Nintendo's games consistently meet both criteria and yet are often trying to do a lot less than the games on other formats so its a bar that's easier to meet. I couldn't even categorise Mario Kart 8 and ARMS together.

Journey's probably a good example, the same art direction but it only qualifies via PS4 yet at either rate I'd consider it visually vastly superior to ARMS which is fairly forgettable

Comment

Jet Set Radio

Comment

Last night I saw a vid on YouTube of an old Speccy game called I Of The Mask, a game I never had back in the day. Wowsers. I don't know if it's in fitting with the thread, though Speccy 3D often wasn't that far behind 16-bit 3D, sometimes surpassing it.

Comment

For me before Generations was even a thing

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                                For me before Generations was even a thing

To be fair, I think it came out on the AMIGA 1st.

Comment

Working...
                                X