E3 2018 General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
    Another disappointing presentation in what is turning out to be a disappointing year for E3. As expected though, Sony easily steamrolled MS in terms of conference because - content. Sony's issue was the lack of anything new to show, the games are unquestionably there but we're still catching up with years of premature game announcements which makes for a dull show. MS had neither content or surprise by comparison.
    Microsoft are the only ones who manage to keep some surprises though. The Cyberpunk one was a nice coup and they always have some kind of "and this is available RIGHT NOW" type announcement, which was a bunch of Games Pass games like Fallout 4 and last year was a bunch of BC games, but nobody else does that.

As I fell down the YouTube black hole last night, I watched this video about how in Microsoft's disastrous 2013 One reveal was possibly the right move but too early. I totally agree with the first half when she lists all the mistakes, but got a bit confused at the end. I get that the "always connected" element is true, but it was so much more than that, it felt like a way of monetising users, rather than aiding them.

It wasn't - "hey you're online, let me get that patch for ya!" it was "I can see you're trying to play a game registered to another user. Game termintated" or "You have NOT connected for 24 hours. Game terminated."

Comment

I will never purchase a console that requires me to check in with its manufacturer every 24 hours in order for me to be able to use it.

It was a stupid idea then, it's a stupid idea now.

Comment

With MS, I think their boost was pretty much just that they went first. Barring some show agreements those key games like Cyberpunk apply just as much to PS4 as Sony showing CoD does to MS so I don't really consider them much of a coup as much as plugging a gap, especially when they're done like Cyberpunk was which is still just a cutscene trailer so wasn't very impressive to see.

As much as there's plenty releasing in the coming year (especially Jan-Mar next year) this E3 is actually giving me the strongest sense yet that the sun is setting on the current generation. I can see this coming line up they've both relied on as being the final peak for both consoles with E3 next year having some more reveals but those games representing the last notable releases the systems will see before the next-gen arrives. Both MS and Sony have felt reserved.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          Microsoft are the only ones who manage to keep some surprises though. The Cyberpunk one was a nice coup and they always have some kind of "and this is available RIGHT NOW" type announcement, which was a bunch of Games Pass games like Fallout 4 and last year was a bunch of BC games, but nobody else does that.
          Tbf Sony have just put out COD:BLOPS3 on PS4 free for PS+ subscribers. And Bethesda opened up Quake Champions for free during their show.

I just caught up with the Sony show, and thoughts are - wow, what an awful show setup. The whole panel of presenters and theatre was just odd. Didn't work for me. I did prefer the far greater focus on their first party games though. I don't personally care for multiplatform CGI/pre-renders at a platform holder show. TLOU2 looked great and Spiderman was intriguing too. Death Stranding starting to look like a game. There was some good stuff in there.

It wasn't as strong a showing as some of their previous years, but at the same time I haven't always understood Sony's E3 shows being rated so high previously (i.e I never felt the love for that 2015's Shenmue and FFVII remake show that some of you guys did).

I also caught some of the PC Gamer show despite saying I wouldn't and actually thought that was well done. I thought the hosts there had an OK night, including the Twitch chat quip at the end. Lots of indies on show which was good, even if I can't say that many interested me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mgear View Post
            Tbf Sony have just put out COD:BLOPS3 on PS4 free for PS+ subscribers. And Bethesda opened up Quake Champions for free during their show.
            Yes, I saw that after I'd posted and set it downloading!
            That's a nice touch too.

It's hard to do surprises when people are clamouring for news all the time. It means announcements get further and further away.
            "There will be a new Busby game in 2024!" *sycophantic paid crowd screams*
            "That's an exclusive because I made it up 3 seconds ago!" *euphoric cheering*

Comment

Yea, internet and modern comms as well. Also E3 isn't as important as we like to think. The timing doesn't work for everything and there are number of big guns that have their own plans (Blizzard's use of Blizzcon, Activision and a few games being shown at other shows later on). There were a few surprises, although not many.

Comment

Does Namco do anything at E3 or does it hold back till a later event in the year?

Comment

Apparently they have a stand, and one of their games was in the MS show. From the sounds of it, minimal stuff, but might be wrong.

Comment

I guess Ace Combat 7 is absent again then...

Comment

I'm sure Smash Brothers is going to be great on Switch - but did it really need over twenty minutes of coverage?

Some stuff I'm definitely interested in getting such as Octopath Traveler, but that really did drag on a bit.

I give it 7 you will buy more Amibos out of 10.
                      Last edited by MartyG; 12-06-2018, 16:45.

Comment

No, no it didn’t. That was far too much Smash in one go for anyone.

Comment

Agree way too much smash but it was always going to be

Comment

What was that?! Real disappointment here. Nothing bad there but there was hardly anything shown.

Comment

Are they STILL talking about Smash Bros? Where is Animal Crossing?!

Comment

Well Nintendo proved me wrong again. I didn't think the bar could get any lower...… and then it did.

Comment

Working...
                                X