No announcement yet.

Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tim Sweeney, CEO of Epic Games, says PS5 has "best in class" storage system. Certainly for console and even versus high end PCs.

I dunno, maybe Sony have his pet dog or something because, y'know, it's all about the terror flawps.

Comment

That Mark Cerny knows his stuff it seems.

Knack was **** mind.

Comment

A couple of interesting points from the DF video above.

1. They mention previous UE3 and 4 technology demos ended up being accurate of the visual fidelity you could expect of the forthcoming generation (if not exceeded in the end).
        2. UE5 works across numerous hardware but we don't know the performance drop on current gen machines (obviously not like the demo we've seen).

Fortniteis the testbed and will be migrated to UE5 on PS5 & XSX in mid-2021. Although the game will be on both at launch.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
          Knack was **** mind.
          You shut your dirty mouth!!

Oh, Knack. Yeah.

Knack 2 though was decent.

Comment

Fortnite looks like it'd run fine on a PS2 though. How is that the testbed?

EDIT: I've only seen it running for about 10 seconds and that was a windowed youtube video a log time ago so maybe I'm wrong and it's a graphical powerhouse.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
              The demo is a t 1440p30 and no hardware raytracing, correct. The Lumens engine is an impressive piece of real-time light sourcing but won't be as accurate as real raytracing; perfectly fine with that, right now RT is incredibly expensive in terms of computing power. I wonder how much processing-intensive the Nanite micropolygon technology is. Not all developers have the budget to develop normal maps from Megascans, hopefully resorting to "standard" assets will allow the engine to ramp up to 4K and/or 60fps.
              I think this new gen has definitely proven one thing, long time gamers now want options. Certainly all of us here would welcome with open arms the option to stick to 1080p or 1440p but with 60fps. Some people would like 4k but at 30fps.

But we’d all at least like the option to choose now, its time console gamers had at least a few toggles.

Comment

Do they (devs) just end up using all the extra next-gen powah for visuals, super detail, more polys, etc (what we all expect) and then end up leaving the engine pushing it all about the screen chuggingly at 30FPS? ..... except on PC lol. Every generation! Except DC.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                  Fortnite looks like it'd run fine on a PS2 though. How is that the testbed?

EDIT: I've only seen it running for about 10 seconds and that was a windowed youtube video a log time ago so maybe I'm wrong and it's a graphical powerhouse.
                  Taken from their website announcement today; https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/e...t-gen-consoles.

It's their flagship game which runs on UE4 so makes sense for Epic to move onto UE5.

HOW WILL FORTNITE TAKE ADVANTAGE OF NEXT-GEN CONSOLE HARDWARE?

While we can’t share specifics at the moment, more powerful hardware will allow us to improve performance and visuals. At launch, the version of Fortnite we release on next-gen consoles will be built with Unreal Engine 4. We will migrate Fortnite to Unreal Engine 5 in mid-2021.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                    I think this new gen has definitely proven one thing, long time gamers now want options. Certainly all of us here would welcome with open arms the option to stick to 1080p or 1440p but with 60fps. Some people would like 4k but at 30fps.

But we’d all at least like the option to choose now, its time console gamers had at least a few toggles.
                    I said the exact same thing in the Xbox Series X thread. Give us the options to favour graphics or frame rate like some games have done this gen... Make that a standard feature set even if the game by game options might differ a little.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                      Do they (devs) just end up using all the extra next-gen powah for visuals, super detail, more polys, etc (what we all expect) and then end up leaving the engine pushing it all about the screen chuggingly at 30FPS? ..... except on PC lol. Every generation! Except DC.
                      Not all games need 30 fps and I could never get Geoff's F1 GP 4 to run at 60 fps. Not that it hurt the game when the game played and looked so good and If you're a console player, you would be used to not all games running at 60 fps even in the 16 bit days

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                        I said the exact same thing in the Xbox Series X thread. Give us the options to favour graphics or frame rate like some games have done this gen... Make that a standard feature set even if the game by game options might differ a little.
                        I know higher frame rates will always lose out to better graphics, so I'm glad we had the mid-gen PS4/XBO refreshes. It seems they've helped normalise the 4k@30fps/1080p@30fps choice.

As a proud 1080p telly owner, I barely gave the PS4 Pro and XBOX a second glance until the 60fps options started popping up more frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                          As a proud 1080p telly owner, I barely gave the PS4 Pro and XBOX a second glance until the 60fps options started popping up more frequently.
                          To be fair, this gen had a lot of games running at 60 fps, very early in. Ok.. admittedly, some of them couldn't maintain it all the time.
                          It was nice to see the likes of Battlefield, F1, Dirt, Halo, Doom Ect run at 60 fps Even if, Halo really should have been 60 fps just for the multiplayer IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                            To be fair, this gen had a lot of games running at 60 fps, very early in. Ok.. admittedly, some of them couldn't maintain it all the time.
                            It was nice to see the likes of Battlefield, F1, Dirt, Halo, Doom Ect run at 60 fps Even if, Halo really should have been 60 fps just for the multiplayer IMO
                            True.

But we know that console devs will generally choose the extra power gained by halving the frame rate unless the frame rate itself is the priority.

The Halo games up to Halo 4 have always been 30fps on consoles. Halo 5 is 60fps but that was a design choice - they could have stuck with 30fps but chose 60 because it would be smoother. You make a good point about Halo multiplayer at 60fps - it's more hectic than the single player campaign. I'd always liked the Halo campaigns at 30fps. It suited the pace.

I'm thinking about all those games on PS4/XBO that were 30fps because there wasn't enough power to run them at 60fps without sacrificing graphical quality. Those games could run at 60fps on the PS4 Pro and XBOX if the resolution/textures/etc all stayed the same.

Comment

Were not going to see any games playing on PS5 or the console itself (bar that ue5 demo) until after LoU & Ghosts is out and have spent their sales surge.

Only then will they start the hype train properly.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                                Were not going to see any games playing on PS5 or the console itself (bar that ue5 demo) until after LoU & Ghosts is out and have spent their sales surge.

Only then will they start the hype train properly.
                                Don't forget that the Ghost of Tsushima State of Play is on tonight at 9PM GMT.

20 odd minutes of new info.

Comment

Working...
                                X