No announcement yet.

Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the 1st UE5 showing was definitely a ps5 running it, this is just a different show in china running the tech demo on a (very expensive) gaming laptop.

I'd heard/read rumors about the texture files being huge for what a 7 to 10 minutes of graphis, but i can't see anything from Epic on that yet. We definitely have size limits ps5/xboxSx so i could easily see this tech being hampered or at least the texture's done at a lower resolution.

Comment

Especially with an 800gb SSD in the PS5. 8 games (maybe) and its full. Is the seriesX a full TB? At least you'll fit 10 on that...

Comment

I only play 1 game at a time so that hard drive is 8 times bigger than it needs to be

Comment

But have Sony specified if it's 800GB completely available to the user or you need to subtract space needed by the system?
          Either way, I can easily see both MS and Sony selling overpriced "expansion SSDs".

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
            I only play 1 game at a time so that hard drive is 8 times bigger than it needs to be
            Saved me typing it. People love a whine though, first world problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
              Its not whining, its an issue gaming devs need to sort out, and now, not in 5 years.

File sizes are too big.
              Downloads are too big.
              File sizes are only going to get bigger.
              The new gen ssd’s are going to be VERY expensive.

Even with the elimination of the dupe assets Cerny talked about off the hd, file sizes are still going to be huge.
              Last edited by fishbowlhead; 17-05-2020, 11:07.

Comment

Plus I think it's only the minority that only play one game at a time.

Comment

It’s one of those things fishbowlhead where you’re setting yourself up for disappointment again. The games aren’t going to all be 60fps and sub 50gb in filesize. They’re going to be 150gb or more and run at 30fps, it’s better you accept it now

Space will def be short on the new machines and, yeah, they will definitely sell expensive storage add ons. We’ve already seen the slot on the back of the Series X where you can put extra SSDs in.

It is what it is really.

Comment

Isn't the new COD like 200gb? and that current gen.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                      See also; "It's got less terror flawps!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                        Isn't the new COD like 200gb? and that current gen.
                        Yeah it's gigantic

Comment

Don’t let you use regular ssds. They need to be a particular spec and they’ve listed some compatible ones. Ms might be proprietary but I thought they’d moved past all that. Pretty sure I was able to plug a usb drive into my 360?

Comment

Yeah COD MW is insane in terms of storage requirements, it is 200gb now with all the (mandatory) updates installed.
                            [MENTION=9465]Brad[/MENTION] Not sure but my impression from the card slot on the back of the Series X was that it would be some type of proprietary one? On the current gen both machines let you use generic storage add ons, but maybe that will change next gen. Prob a good way to recoup money as the margins seem like they’re going to be pretty thin on hardware for both manufacturers at launch. Just speculation on my part.

Comment

Microsoft have partnered with Seagate to make the memory card things for the Series X.

Sony have said any SSD will work in PS5 as long as it is certified as fast enough - PCIe 4.0 NVMe is what they're saying.

Comment

I’ve tried to understand this thread. I’ve really tried. It’s just nerdvox overdrive. I don’t understand a word.

The video looks great, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X