No announcement yet.

Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assuming it gets announced I'm expecting the visual banner carrier on Series X (aside from Hellblade II) to be Fable IV. I don't think Forza 8 or Halo Infinite will wow.

Comment

Another Lockhart leak states that the specs of the presumably names Series S console are:

-7.5GB of usable RAM
      -unclocked CPU speed
      -4 Teraflops of GPU power

Though this information comes from the Lockhart development mode being used on Series X dev kits suggesting Series S is a 2021 proposition. Senior Editor Tom Warren for the Verge has said that whilst the system will be cheaper than Series X it does not mean it will be cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
        I don't think Forza 8 or Halo Infinite will wow.
        I'm hoping that the lighting will be much more realistic with environmental effects such as heat haze etc... That is vitally important, seeing how sterile Forza 7 looks.

It will be interesting to see if Series X games will have more effects and detail over what you see when they're running on an XB1/X. Maybe Series X games running on the XB1/X will have certain graphical niceties turned off to boost the frame rate. I guess it will be similar to how PC games work on low and high end systems.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 26-06-2020, 16:23.

Comment

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/26/2...t-specs-rumors
          Another Lockhart leak states that the specs of the presumably names Series S console are:

-7.5GB of usable RAM
          -unclocked CPU speed
          -4 Teraflops of GPU power

Though this information comes from the Lockhart development mode being used on Series X dev kits suggesting Series S is a 2021 proposition. Senior Editor Tom Warren for the Verge has said that whilst the system will be cheaper than Series X it does not mean it will be cheap.
          So it's less powerful than a One X (that has 6 terror flawps doesn't it?)

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
            So it's less powerful than a One X (that has 6 terror flawps doesn't it?)
            In the old AMD architecture , excluding the new hardware , I/o ram speed and SSD

For Multi platform games It’s could be

Xbox series S 1080p
            PS5 1400p
            Xbox Series X 2160p

Or variations of that depending on what developers target

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
              I'm hoping that the lighting will be much more realistic with environmental effects such as heat haze etc... That is vitally important, seeing how sterile Forza 7 looks.
              I think both Halo and Forza will look and run utterly amazing on the Series X . Hopefully dynamic weather will feature now in every track

Comment

I think both Halo and Forza will look and run utterly amazing on the Series X . Hopefully dynamic weather will feature now in every track and Turn 10 sort out the menu system (which is crap in 7)

Comment

I’m done with Forza Motorosport, it’s a game I’ve bought far too many times only to realise I have no interest in the game

Comment

I like Forza but i think they release too many. Racing games tend to have a long life on them.

Comment

Talk of it de-emphasising graphics on the Series X will not go down well in some circles, sounds a bit like a concession of expectations. The other two are important but rely on art direction far more than anything else which Sony has them beat at by a mile. I bet you can count on one hand how many games outside of small XBL games support 120fps too, far too much of a compromise on the systems abilities to support something I'd wager less than even 1% of users would ever use.
                      Well yes but I think it's more about de-emphasising the pursuit of higher resolution, graphics as a banner encompasses a lot of things.

There is little point aiming for above 4K but a lot of reasons to target higher frame rates, better effects, lighting etc...

It's really about putting the power to good use somewhere else and still have something clearly not possible on last gen tech.

I've said it before, they might be supporting current gen for a while but I'm pretty sure we will see certain features or enhancements locked in for Series X.

Maybe not higher resolution, but more periphery enhancements that make it run smoother, look better, sound better ... Overall more immersive as they state.

Comment

120fps I would wager:

Halo Infinite
                        Forza Motorsport 8
                        Forza Horizon 3/4
                        Gears 5
                        Dirt 5 (this is confirmed)
                        Sea of Thieves

Comment

It’ll probably end like like some 1X and Pro games with a full on super shiny graphics mode at a lower frame rate and a less graphically splendid higher frame rate setting. There’s a lot of things in the new consoles designed to boost efficiency and throughput so hopefully 60Hz does become the new baseline. With refined temporal reconstruction techniques and DLSS style up sampling the actual rendering resolution will be less important.
                          Seems kind of daft Microsoft going to all the effort to reduce latency with the controllers and how the system responds to that for 30Hz games.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                            I think both Halo and Forza will look and run utterly amazing on the Series X . Hopefully dynamic weather will feature now in every track
                            The really basic lighting in Forza 7 really spoils the experience, so I'm hoping the developer implements much more effective lighting, shadows, and environment effects into Forza 8. Dynamic weather would also be a nice inclusion.

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                            so hopefully 60Hz does become the new baseline.
                            If 60fps isn't the new baseline, I'll lose complete faith in the games industry.

No developer should ever even contemplate 30fps again. Using that frame rate would be like making a 720p game next gen.

Comment

If 60fps isn't the new baseline, I'll lose complete faith in the games industry.

No developer should ever even contemplate 30fps again. Using that frame rate would be like making a 720p game next gen.
                              I quite like 30fps with motion blur depending on the game. I was watching a video of Zelda BotW on PC running in 60fps and it looked very weird to me.

Mind you, I used to think Halo at 60fps was weird but now I love it!

Comment

The really basic lighting in Forza 7 really spoils the experience, so I'm hoping the developer implements much more effective lighting, shadows, and environment effects into Forza 8. Dynamic weather would also be a nice inclusion.
                                I know what you're saying, but Forza still 7 still looks great on the OLED. Turn 10 need to sort out the menu system and front end of the game (which is horrible in 7) and while the wet weather was nice in Forza 7, it needs to be there for all the tracks. I've no don't the next Halo and Forza will look amazing mind

If 60fps isn't the new baseline,
                                I think it's pretty clear 60 fps will be a focus for 'most' of the 1st party stuff. I don't think every game needs to be 60 fps just for the shake of it mind

Comment

Working...
                                X