Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forza dropping the number is telling.

It's going to be an evolving GaaS type thing is my guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
      I know there will be alot of people coming to the defence of Halo but I'll put my neck on the block... The graphics are poor for a next gen flag ship game.
      You compare that to the Horizon graphics, both are flagship games for each company, and Horizon takes a big steamy **** on it. This is Halo... On 'the world's most consistently powerful console' for god sake!
      Yeah I get that, I wonder how it runs on the older machines, they've significantly change the art style in that and gone for a more painterly and almost cartoon like look compared to the gritty sci-fi of 4 and the dialling back of that in 5. This was pretty clear in the last trailer too.
      We know people struggle to "read" that art style, there have been other titles in the past that have been criticised of it too, Dishonored springs to mind.
      Problem with using Horizon as an example is that was primarily cinematics/in-engine (according to DF) AND it's not a launch title.

This has been a recurring thing with the next gen reveals, games look like games, and my enthusiasm for what was shown dwindled significantly after Halo.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
        That's said - Obsidian doing a Skyrim is great.
        That was the highlight for me. I said they should have started their own high fantasy IP after playing The Outer Worlds. TOW ended up a bit wet, in the end. Still, worth playing.

The good part is I don't need to buy a console to end up with the best version.
        Last edited by dataDave; 23-07-2020, 18:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
          Problem with these new Halo games and every one is that they still look like combat evolved. Unimpressed looks technically the same as something like Apex Legends.
          When i went to the stream and saw footage ...i did not realise it was halo and for a few seconds i thought it was some Kind of Singleplayer Apex legends off shoot.

Tbh Stream did bore me.....I like halo but with 5 games plus spin offs i cannot get excited for another ...same with Forza,(am I the only one who thinks racing games just look very similar to each other when going for the more true to life graphics ? ) and CGI trailers cannot get me hyped at all i have to see a game running.

Also the amount of "Console Launch Exclusives"
          Last edited by eastyy; 23-07-2020, 18:09.

Comment

I've said before. Next gen looks meh so far. Everyone jumping in and end up playing their last gen games on them (hopefully with a boost in FPS).

Are we at the point where artist can't keep up with the tech and there's no new ideas anymore? Telling ya. the Fortnite generation are making our games now lol.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
              Yeah I get that, I wonder how it runs on the older machines, they've significantly change the art style in that and gone for a more painterly and almost cartoon like look compared to the gritty sci-fi of 4 and the dialling back of that in 5. This was pretty clear in the last trailer too.
              We know people struggle to "read" that art style, there have been other titles in the past that have been criticised of it too, Dishonored springs to mind.
              Problem with using Horizon as an example is that was primarily cinematics/in-engine (according to DF) AND it's not a launch title.

This has been a recurring thing with the next gen reveals, games look like games, and my enthusiasm for what was shown dwindled significantly after Halo.
              If Halo Infinite doesn’t look like that on OneX ms can just pack up the xbox division. Its hardly pushing the boat out, I appreciate the stream apparently had tearing problems on the gameplay, but there was a ton of pop up as well, if thats the SeriesX version then i think were done here MS.

Comment

Last of us 2 ps4 vs Halo Infinite Xbox seriesX. MS dropped the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                  Last of us 2 ps4 vs Halo Infinite Xbox seriesX. MS dropped the ball.

https://youtu.be/xi1T2jey1NA
                  Not really fair, ND have ex nasa mathematicians that work on their graphics engines.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                    Not really fair, ND have ex nasa mathematicians that work on their graphics engines.
                    Halo is the biggest game MS have. Its their flagship console selling big hitter. If I was MS you better believe I'd have Nasa and **** working on it. I'd want 4K rendered textures and Ray Tracing all over it.
                    Its a poor showing.

Comment

Aren't they just different art styles?

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                        Aren't they just different art styles?
                        There is a big difference in the art style and the type of game. No doubt. One is open world, one is a cinematic game. But grass is grass, stone is stone and skin is skin. If it was a cel-shaded game or something I'd let it pass, but it's not. The car didn't even leave tracks in the mud.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                          If Halo Infinite doesn’t look like that on OneX ms can just pack up the xbox division. Its hardly pushing the boat out, I appreciate the stream apparently had tearing problems on the gameplay, but there was a ton of pop up as well, if thats the SeriesX version then i think were done here MS.
                          It’s probably running on a Pc or Series X.
                          I only saw that one bit of pop in (the obvious one) did it happen lot?

It’s crazy that those views would have been Matt paintings in previous games and you are gonna be able to run, jump drive and grapple up to anything you can see.

That unreal demo and the pie in the sky talking has really pulled a number on people , LOD and pop in isn’t going anywhere.

Comment

I thought it was a pretty decent showing it be honest. From a format perspective they showed the games, one after another with very little filler in between.

So Halo. They at least did what they said they'd do which is show us gameplay and plenty of it. From an strict gameplay standpoint I think it looks great. Seriously I've no issue with it as it's literal fan service and clearly going for a full open world Halo ring to play in.

As for the aesthetics. The art style is interesting, it's clearly gone back to a more cartoon style which I am not sure about just yet. Equally I don't think it looks as good as everyone had hoped (me included). That isn't to say it looked bad, and it didn't look like an old game to me... But it did seem to suffer from some pop-in on distant vistas. Still, does that mean it'll be like that at launch? Unsure. Does it mean it'll suck? Doubtful.

I think it will be interesting to see it running on Series X and current gen but that will of course have to wait.

Moving on, lack of gameplay in other trailers I think is a bit harsh. If you compared it to Sony's event we're seeing similar styles here. Most trailers were not gameplay in either event and equally "console exclusive" was a term bandied around in both events... Pretty much all of the 3rd party titles are coming to both, so not much to write home about there.

For one I am glad Fable got officially announced and I'm glad we didn't see anything from half the studios under MGS... This wasn't MS revealing everything it has, they're just giving us pieces of the puzzle.

I loved the look of Ever Wild. Grounded, I loved that little Cyberpunk nod and we've already seen a tonne of gameplay for it as you can already play it now and it'll be in game pass by next week.

Destiny 2... Well I am sure glad I didn't buy stuff for it last week!

I really loved the look of Avowed as well. Seems like the perfect next setting for obsidian to get stuck into.
                            Last edited by nonny; 23-07-2020, 19:19.

Comment

I cannot fathom how it will look on an Xbox one S or worse.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                                It’s probably running on a Pc or Series X.
                                I only saw that one bit of pop in (the obvious one) did it happen lot?

It’s crazy that those views would have been Matt paintings in previous games and you are gonna be able to run, jump drive and grapple up to anything you can see.

That unreal demo and the pie in the sky talking has really pulled a number on people , LOD and pop in isn’t going anywhere.
                                It looks like an end of gen OneX game, which is what it is. Im sure it’ll be a good overall game, just not a system seller which is what it needed to be.

Comment

Working...
                                X