No announcement yet.

Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both of these systems feel like they’re being rushed to market as neither company wants to be lagging behind the other, not because they’re ready to impress consumers yet.

Comment

This is correct. I can't remember a flatter console launch.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
        This is correct. I can't remember a flatter console launch.
        PS2 , DC , Mega Drive, Saturn Japanese consoles launches spring to mind

Comment

I guess if we did wait another year, Devs might take their foot off the gas etc. Yeah ,maybe it's good it's coming now. But maybe the tech would be better next year oooh I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
            PS2 , DC , Mega Drive, Saturn Japanese consoles launches spring to mind
            No way! I was out of my mind hyped for Dreamcast after Official Saturn magazine showed me those sweet screenshots for months!

Fantavision and Tekken Tag had more hype than anything now, though I do concede that may be because I was a teenager. Im willing to bet that teens in general have no idea about PS5 and XboxSX at the moment, though.

Comment

No way! I was out of my mind hyped for Dreamcast after Official Saturn magazine showed me those sweet screenshots for months!
              For most games that came months down the line . Take out VF and the Saturn launch in Japan was crap. Pen, Pen, VF3 and July were hardly system sellers for the DC and Space Harrier II and Super Thunder Blade was not the finest hour for the Mega Drive .

I remember laughing at how poor the PS2 launch line up was too and how it barely did anything the DC couldn't .
              That all changed mind when ICO and DMC hit the system .

For most of those systems it was one half decent to good game at launch. I was happy with Pen Pen mind
              Last edited by Team Andromeda; 26-07-2020, 11:59.

Comment

Getting a new console feels a lot more like getting a new phone now. It’s better, and slicker, and it’s nice to have something new and shiny, but it’s fundamentally very similar to what you had before.

Comment

Fantavision and Tekken Tag had more hype than anything now, though I do concede that may be because I was a teenager. Im willing to bet that teens in general have no idea about PS5 and XboxSX at the moment, though.
                  You have to remember that the media now is completely different, during the dreamcast/PS2 era people mostly got their news and first looks through magazines and having to wait for months just to get new screenshots and you would hype yourself up just by imagining the possibilities of these games just by looking at a handful of screenshots and impressions from the author. Nowadays everything is instant and people want 4K direct feed videos, youtuber playthroughs and the release of the game all to happen yesterday and huge new AAA games are released and forgotten about after a couple of weeks.

I must say though I was seriously disappointed by the xbox showcase, Halo Infinite looked ok but its so desperate to try and recapture the magic of the original that it just looks dated, also didnt help that there was heaps of pop-in in the demo thats meant to be a showcase of the new tech and the groundwork for the next 10 years for the series. Everything else was either pre-rendered cutscenes that will look nothing like the final games (State of Decay 3 especially considering how janky the previous 2 were) or they were games that look absolutely no different to how they look on current gen hardware. Also doesnt help how confused the messaging seems to be from MS, one moment they are saying ALL of their first-party titles will be cross-gen, but most of the titles shown were series X and PC only and now they are saying that all of their games are Series X focused, we dont even know which games that were shown were even running on Series X, if any (Halo was the PC version).

Sony on the other hand has been very clear with their messaging and the PS5 truly feels like a new gen system, they showed plenty of titles running on the machine and also gave us examples of games that are only possible with the new tech (Ratchet and Clank being the best showcase).

Comment

I think MS dangling 12TF and saying its the most powerful console also meant peoples expectations were high.
                    Sony have been quiet mostly and let people build they're own hype.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                      [MENTION=221]nonny[/MENTION] I’m with you on that. Allow choice. I would say you need to lower your expectations further. I think ray tracing and 1440p and 60fps is still asking too much
                      I'm only saying that resolution because that's essentially what the digital foundry video alludes to... Also isn't some ray tracing capability baked into the hardware directly on the XSX so some amount isn't going to require GPU... I mean I'm sure it's still expensive when the game is fully open world and dynamic like this but I would think halving the resolution may get you there.

Seriously who knows... We've 3-4 months to find out the how and the what. Obviously if 343 are already saying it's something they're looking to patch they've got an implementation in mind and an understanding of the cost on performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                        I think MS dangling 12TF and saying its the most powerful console also meant peoples expectations were high.
                        Sony have been quiet mostly and let people build they're own hype.
                        I think both these machines are looking and sounding great. I mean that from a hardware perspective they seem like a decent jump up from even the One X or PS4 Pro. I just think the software is mostly lagging behind.

I mean Ratchet and Clank looks great. Spiderman they've cheated a bit using a lot of what was in the PS4 version... Which is fine, but there's been a shortcut to hit the launch window there. AC Valhalla seems like Black Flag all over again to me... It'll be good but it's new ideas in an existing template.

Nothing really stands out across both as the AAA system sellers of the past but like many upgrades the potential is there for greatness but not day one

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
                          of their first-party titles will be cross-gen, but most of the titles shown were series X and PC only and now they are saying that all of their games are Series X focused, we dont even know which games that were shown were even running on Series X, if any (Halo was the PC version).

Sony on the other hand has been very clear with their messaging and the PS5 truly feels like a new gen system, they showed plenty of titles running on the machine and also gave us examples of games that are only possible with the new tech (Ratchet and Clank being the best showcase).
                          State Of Decay was pointless, but you can't also go on what happened in the previous 2 games, since most of their development was handle when not having access to In House studio funding .

I think you overplay the heaps of pop-in in HALO myself . Sure it shouldn't have been there but it was hardly massive and GT7 had pop in on the trees and LOD moments on the track side barrier.
                          R&C was the real showstopper, the rests while good didn't scream next gen . I think both SONY and MS are holding back stuff and having issues with staff not inthe Studios and yet both have good stuff to show off and offer

And don't get this expectation that consoles need an AAA game with the best visuals of all time, on day one of the system launch . Other than Nintendo and Ridge Racer on the PSP it doesn't happen.

Comment

PS4 Killzone looked pretty great. So did Ryze.

Comment

Medium gameplay on Eurogamer. As expected its nothing to write home about. Standard controls move the characters on both sides of the screen at once. It's basically an entire game made out of a simple puzzle concept, like controlling two Toads in Captain Toad

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                                PS4 Killzone looked pretty great. So did Ryze.
                                I've gotta be honest I've still got a soft spot for Ryse. I actually wish they'd make a sequel... It obviously got bogged down with Kinect early on I'm actually surprised it turned out as good as it did... In many ways it's a precursor to what Ninja Theory did well in Hellblade.

Ryse still looks good now... Pity it was so limited in gameplay.

Comment

Working...
                                X