Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by endo View Post
    Now come on, I'm sure TA, like all of us, can remember exactly what other people were posting on here 15 years ago.
    We don't even need to remember. The forum does it for us

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
      We don't even need to remember. The forum does it for us
      I know I was on 15 years ago, probably talking about the same old ****... And in no way is that depressing.

Comment

In terms of media exposure here's where Microsoft is at:

After 5 days the video showing what the PS5 looks like achieved 23.5 million views. The various videos from the Xbox Showcase which was also 5 days ago stand at:

Everwild - 232,000

Hello Neighbours 2 - 342,000

Halo Infinite: Step Inside - 304,000

Halo: Infinite Gameplay - 1.1 Million

State of Decay 3 - 285,000

Forza Motorsport 8 - 567,000

Grounded - 166,000

Fable - 814,000

Crossfire X - 162,000

Phantasy Star Online 2 - 104,000

The Medium - 122,000

STALKER 2 - 1.2 Million

Psychonaughts 2 - 108,000

Xbox Showcase Full Show - 908,000

Now, it's far too late to get matching timeframe figures for Sony's games which have now been uploaded for one month but for Xbox's offerings the bar to meet is set at:

Spider-Man: Miles Morales - 13 Million

Project Athia - 3.3 Million

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - 3.8 Million

Sackboy: A Big Adventure - 1.6 Million

Returnal - 844,000

Kena: Bridge of Spirits - 2.4 Million

GhostWire: Tokyo - 1.3 Million

Gran Turismo 7 - 6 Million

Demon's Souls - 2.8 Million

Horizon II: Forbidden West - 7.2 Million

Astro's Playroom - 1.7 Million

Pragmata - 2.3 Million

After one month the PS5 Hardware reveal video now stands at 29 Million views, after seven months the Series X Hardware reveal video stands at 13 Million views.

Now, this kind of stuff has to be critical to Microsoft as even if set aside the Series X and say 'yes, but Microsoft's plans are focused more on Game Pass than hardware going forward' it places an immense importance on software and the appeal of the games Microsoft brings to market in order to drive Game Pass subscriptions and maintain them and so assuming figures like the above continue to be the norm it shows they face a staggering disconnect from the required audience which has many times more interest in a method of play that requires $60 a pop to play on.

Comment

I feel these numbers are also driven by the previous generation. People most interested in the Xbox showing are the people who already own an xboxone, of which there are fewer than people that own the PS4.

Another numbers game is the number of members on the SubReddits

Ps5 - 305,600 members
          XboxseriesX - 33,500

Now I know its only reddit and doesn't have any direct bearing on anything, but I do feel it give an indication of the level of interest people have in each console.

Comment

At this point I think Xbox and pc have to be lumped together. Everything shown of interest is coming to pc, including halo; steam shoved that in my face moments after the Xbox presentation. That has to dilute the series x interest? Like some people will just spend the money upgrading their pc instead of buying the console? They’re still in the Xbox ecosystem, game pass etc?

Comment

I'm curious about Game Pass on PC. Game Pass has 10m Subscribers, it's really hard to find figures from before this year for it but according to MS it rapidly grew from launch through to 2019 which you'd expect as a new service starting from zero. The only other thing I can find is this:

VGC investigates Microsoft’s two-pronged strategy for its next Xbox console, including tech specs, release date and price.

Which if true would suggest Game Pass was at 9.5m a year prior around the time the PC version launched. No idea on how reliable that is but if remotely true it would suggest that the Game Pass has already plateaued on Xbox and the PC version brought minimal additional users.

That being said, some of the games launches on Steam seem to have gone well, another link said Sea of Thieves had shifted 1m units on Steam in about a month which is great news for MS though ironically shows an issue with Game Pass where PC users would rather pay for the game than access it via Game Pass. Though that being said, again assuming theirs accuracy to these figures, it suggests that PC isn't going to be how Game Pass expands and neither is Xbox at that rate.

I think at this point it feels like MS has made the most advanced console it could and then removed every reason it can think of to buy one.

Comment

Also, just like Netflix and others, whats to stop someone getting game pass for $1, nailing Halo and other launch games on PC for a month, and then dropping it like a hot potato. What money will MS and 343 get from vast numbers of people doing that?

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                  Also, just like Netflix and others, whats to stop someone getting game pass for $1, nailing Halo and other launch games on PC for a month, and then dropping it like a hot potato.
                  That's precisely what I did last year after The Outer Worlds. I cancelled my sub because it was pointless letting it run over each month when I wasn't using it at all. No doubt "hundreds of games!" is great value, but it's a waste of money if they aren't being played.

Comment

Also, just like Netflix and others, whats to stop someone getting game pass for $1, nailing Halo and other launch games on PC for a month, and then dropping it like a hot potato. What money will MS and 343 get from vast numbers of people doing that?
                    I joined EA Origin because the cost for a year was only a bit more than buying Mirror's Edge(which is on that service anyway). Admittedly I've only dabbled in a few other games on there because of my PC's specs. Also, it was a lot cheaper than GamePass PC(which is currently quite cheap but will go up once it's out of beta).

The point is I joined for one game, found other games of value and decided to stay.

Comment

That is exactly what I do each time a major Xbox game launches only it's not really exact because I actually pay $0. Windows Rewards builds up more than enough inbetween new Xbox games to give free Game Pass access meaning I never need pay for a sub at all. Since the last time they released anything worthwhile I have enough points now to almost claim three passes.

Comment

How do you get enough Reward points for that?

I've looked at it and don't ever seen to accrue large amounts.

Comment

[MENTION=345]Neon Ignition[/MENTION] [MENTION=2540]teddymeow[/MENTION] I'm on 7,400 MS Reward points for the month so far, and that's just through doing the daily task via a browser; three trivia/poll questions, 35 EDGE browser searches and 20 mobile searches. You only get 182 - 212 MS reward pts from these daily searches, but usually have another 30-50 pts on offer from 'more activities'.

So you won't earn enough from the daily browser searches. You can earn more from Xbox Game Pass quests and digital purchases. I imagines most people are still enjoying their 'free' Gold to GP Ultimate conversion time, but then it will be a chore to earn extra monthly Game Pass extensions from Game Pass.

Comment

You just have to be logged in to your browser when using IE or Edge. As you navigate the net they give you points for using it. There are trivia bits for extra points but I don't bother with them, I just browse. You can then claim via the Microsoft Rewards page accessed by clicking on the points counter. Currently:

1 Month of PC Game Pass = 6,800 Points
                            1 Month of Xbox Gold = 6,800 Points
                            £5 Xbox / Windows Store Credit = 5,850 Points
                            £10 Xbox / Windows Store Credit = £11,700 Points
                            1 Month of Game Pass Ultimate = 12,000 Points

There are higher tiers but I last claimed a month of the PC pass last August when Gears 5 launched and I'm now up to 15,000 points with absolutely nothing on the horizon from MS at the moment so it'll end up being how I play Halo Infinite. MS literally makes no money from me anymore at all.

Comment

I use Chrome as a browser so I'm guessing that's going to severely limit my earning potential?

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                                £10 Xbox / Windows Store Credit = £11,700 Points
                                1 Month of Game Pass Ultimate = 12,000 Points
                                I don't like your £10 Credit prices! ;p

You can redeem GP Ultimate for 10,800 pts when it's reduced (not very often thinks it's twice per year.

Comment

Working...
                                X