• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fuse View Post
    Grade-A auto-correct over here
    It was intentional

Originally posted by hudson View Post
    Whilst I'm looking forward to this release of SoR4, I did wonder what could be achieved if they went down the Sonic Mania route. It's interesting.
    Thing is, you get a window through that fan project. Not quite all the way to Mania but a fair way.

Comment

Shameful when the original music and pixel art look & sounds so much better

Comment

Originally posted by BIG EDD View Post
        Was thinking of getting the limited edition Switch version but after ordering Darius and shmup collection I'll wait for the xbox version on game pass
        Shmup collection? What's that?

Comment

That retro trailer is INSANE.

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
          SOR2 exists and it’s pretty perfect. That was a moment in time, captured beautifully. Play it. Enjoy it. But things aren’t 1992. Even the same team managed to mess up their own work soon afterwards. SOR3 was good, but not great. We were never going to get SOR2 again. The team are long gone, the creative spark that existed at that moment of time between that group of people has been extinguished.
          I've been thinking about Koshiro Yuzo-san's involvement recently. The music in the SoR games is of its time, which happened to be a great time for music. If he were to do that now, SoR4 would be autotuned DnB or whatever the kids are listening to these days.

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          At the risk of playing devil's avocado, my only gripe with this is that I wish Sega hadn't shut down that fan project. In an era where they brought Sonic Mania in-house, it's a real shame they didn't do the same with that.
          I think it's to do with companies needing to prove they're actively protecting IPs that are collecting dust.

Despite having been contacted by Bomber Games and knowing about SoRR, Sega waited until just after the final version had been released - and therefore downloaded a bunch of times - before shutting it down.

It was a win-win situation: Sega could prove they were protecting their IP despite not doing anything useful with it; Bomber Games avoided legal troubles by honouring the take-down notice; SoRR's final form was allowed to live on through torrents and mirror hosts.

Sonic is different because Sega has been actively releasing Sonic games so wouldn't need to prove they were protecting the IP.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
            Shmup collection? What's that?

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
              The loss of sprites being a dealbreaker, though? This thread has been full of tedium about people criticising them for not using pixels. God’s sake, just see how it plays. There’s no way the original team would have stuck to pixels when they planned their sequels after SOR3 when 3D became the norm.

It just seems that this could be a cracking little game given a rum deal by some sourpusses who can’t handle change.
              Its an interesting situation isn't it? As a fan of fighters you can imagine how the FGC takes change (see SFII to III, IV and V, KOF XIII to XIV, Soul Calibur IV to V and VI, Guilty Gear XX to Xrd and -Strive-, MvC2 to 3/Ultimate and Infinite, etc.) When a favourite/gold standard emerges fans want that to be maintained when the future entries come out as they've enjoyed and experienced the heights that can be achieved in the genre.

We can't really blame developers for wanting to try new ideas though. Imagine how dull it would be for a dev. team to make a new entry in a series and it be nigh-on identical to the last one but with a new graphical take? Little to no room for creativity to satisfy long-term fans.

As has been mentioned already, SoR II already exists as does SSFII Turbo, Third Strike, KOF '98 UM, '02 UM and XIII, Guilty Gear XX Accent Core/Xrd Rev2 and so on. The beloved versions of these series will continue to be accessible for us all whenever. I'd rather see a company try something different and it work/not work than play it super safe and gamers claim the new game has little to no originality (see The Force Awakens).
              Last edited by Paddy; 10-04-2020, 13:21.

Comment

So if the Nintendo Website is indeed telling the truth, then a week today 23.04.20, we will finally get to play Streets of Rage 4!

Which character are you playing first?

Ahem, Adam...

Comment

Slight delay, but at least it is now official...

30.04.20 is THE day...

Comment

Wicked!

Comment

Still up for this. A ray of light in a very strange era. Bring it on!

Comment

There are some great videos of the raw animation lower down in this article. The animation quality is top notch: https://blog.us.playstation.com/2020...-out-april-30/

Comment

Still looks like crap to me. Give it a go mind,since it be on Gamepass

Comment

I mean let’s be honest TA I can already tell you it’s a waste of your hard drive space, regardless if it’s free or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
                              I mean let’s be honest TA I can already tell you it’s a waste of your hard drive space, regardless if it’s free or not.
                              True, but hopefully it's a quick downloaded and then fast uninstall. I fancy a quick play, just to see how crap its really going to be

Comment

Working...
                              X