Xbox Game Pass (Xbox / PC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
    I have this issue too - Xbox Series X is in standby. Sometimes there are 20+ titles and many are multiple GBs too (not such an issue now I have a Gb connection, but still). Had it on Xbox One as well.

I do wonder if it's down to having 2 x 2.5" external drives attached.

It'll happily remotely install games started from the mobile app, so I don't think it's a standby issue.
    Ah yes I remember your issue now Marty. We were having this conversation a year or so ago... There is an option to keep external drives powered in standby but I guess having multiple might be an issue and screw it up.

Might be something worth raising with support as they're generally pretty good in logging things and giving it visibility.

I raised an issue with them a few months back around Series S video recording skipping due to synch issues between 1080p and 1440p (it's plain broken if you're using a 1440p display) and I got a response saying they're looking at the entire DVR app as a priority and would include it.

Comment

I have this issue too - Xbox Series X is in standby. Sometimes there are 20+ titles and many are multiple GBs too (not such an issue now I have a Gb connection, but still). Had it on Xbox One as well.

I do wonder if it's down to having 2 x 2.5" external drives attached.

It'll happily remotely install games started from the mobile app, so I don't think it's a standby issue.
      Mine only has 1x4tb hdd external attached and never had a problem with the hdd or remote install from the app, its just the updating.

If I didn’t know any better from how the system is behaving i’d say the internal ssd is on its way out but I’m sure its not, seems to be just an issue with the updating of games itself.
      Last edited by fishbowlhead; 23-01-2022, 12:14.

Comment

SSDs don't fail like that - one day they just won't be working any more, there's no gradual decline as you get with HDDs.

Comment

Ah right, I’ve had a few hdds go over the years but never an ssd, hence why I thought the behaviour was similar but sure it wasn’t the case as games play just fine.

Comment

You've got a similar setup to me then, I've got an 8tb external drive but it has its own separate power as it's a 3.5" model.

Maybe do a hard reset on the console and see if that fixes it? The only other reason I've seen things stall on the Series X is if you've got your default install location as the external drive but it's a Series game that needs to be installed internally to run.

You'll get a prompt on console whether you want to install on the internal (which admittedly is dumb if you're triggering it remotely). Doesn't mean it would do that on updates to already installed games but I guess the workaround is keep whatever games you're playing currently on the internal.

I'd still raise it as an issue though.

Comment

SSDs don't fail like that - one day they just won't be working any more, there's no gradual decline as you get with HDDs.
              Depends. HDDs can fail suddenly and SSDs can fail over time. Depends where the failure is. Most SSDs (like HDDs) will fail because they wear out and start having to not use certain parts for storage anymore. There are ways to ask the drive how healthy it is (nobody ever does) that will tell you when it's time to replace it; HDDs and SSDs. If a controller dies then it's insta death for both types of device.

Comment

I guarantee this update issue is not down to SSD failures - SSDs do not wear out mechanically in the same way as HDDs do and is well documented: https://techreport.com/review/27909/...eyre-all-dead/

It's true there is a limited life due to the number of writes that can be made to the drive which is why SSDs have an under-allocation of writeable area. They have reserves which overtime will get used up and eventually go bad - but that takes 100s of Terabytes if not Petabytes of writes to happen even on small drives.

Endurance does reduce the more layers of data the drives are storing (SLC, DLC, TLC, QLC), given they are storing more data per cell (the Xbox drives are QLC), tho as you see on the above, you don't see that gradual decline in performance that you notice when a HDD starts to go bad.

No, this is a software issue, one I suspect is down to game volume on local storage and the way the checks are done in the APIs leading to timeouts on the server when that game volume is high.
                Last edited by MartyG; 24-01-2022, 07:42.

Comment

Year it has to be software issue with the update process, playing games yesterday at random that didn't need any updates the system was completely normal.

On another note don't let a marine zoologist play I am Fish, they will tare it to pieces for obvious inaccuracies but still carry on playing for obvious funsies

Comment

I had more issues with the physics in that game

Comment

Did a search for issues on the MS community snd reddit pages. Seems this is a known issue with how some consoles aren't receiving the prompts that some games require the update from the central servers... no actual fix recorded as yet. There was some posts suggesting it might have something to do with joining and/or moving from different levels in the insider program, as you'd be getting update information from different server sources... but that isn't confirmed.

Pretty annoying if it's affecting you.

Comment

My Xbox isn't and never has been in the insider program, so it's not that. Think I was at some point in the Xbox 360 one, but had too many issues with it so dropped out and avoided it since.

Comment

Mines not in the insider program either and has never been, at least its a known issue so will probably be fixed, but its a very annoying bug in this day and age as once the games that need updating have received the notification when the console comes on, they wont start or play regardless whatever you do.

Comment

Couple of February 2022 titles

February 3
                            Dreamscaper

February 10
                            Besiege Console

Comment

[MENTION=8265]CMcK[/MENTION] is dropping off his Series S to me on Wednesday and I’m going to sign up for game pass which I’m quite looking forward to. What are the hidden gems available right now I should be looking out for? (I’ve not had a new Xbox in a LONG time)

Comment

[MENTION=9865]Colin[/MENTION]

The Gunk
                                Artful Escape
                                The Medium

All good.

Comment

Working...
                                X