No announcement yet.

Next Gen Advent Calendar II: Playstation 5 Release Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That'll be one of the reasons the PS5 is so starkly different from PS4. Underneath the gloss there's not much difference and a fair degree of the same continuation of experience but particularly because the PS4 Pro wasn't that long ago and narrowed the technological jump from last-gen to next-gen they've refreshed the physical experience so that there's no mistaking that the new console is a new, separate experience from what has come before.

It'll be interesting to see how MS moves forward as if they continue with iterative Series naming convention systems (i.e a Series S with the power of a Series X, a Series X with updated GPU etc) it means they could stay technologically ahead but never experience that consumer attention grabbing launch hype again

Comment

I think MS have just acknowledged that things are iterative now... The biggest things these machines bring right now apart from more power is refinement.

Quick loading, silent running and so on. I think MS has fully embraced the ecosystem they have as being iterative and cross generational... Hence the machines having the same UI but supporting all previous generations.

Sony have kind of dipped their toes in this approach but also have taken a bit of time to reinvent a little. So the controller has a few more features, the UI has embedded help etc... Some cool tweaks but equally I think Sony have realised there is a need to support the previous generation as well so the PS5 UI still looks like it's in the same family and backward compatibility is there, if only for PS4.

I dunno, there's merits in both approaches and both systems have some flaws right now but they're all things which can be added to fixed during the generation.

Comment

I'd say one of the biggest things that is a shame about the Xbox launch is the exclusives situation which really has no reason to exist.

Halo: Infinite being delayed is the right move but it's absolute madness to not have another major title or two ready for launch. The systems have been being lined up for years, MS will know that they need compelling software not just for the new console launches but also for the existing Xbox One base and for Game Pass during the key season too. I don't want to put too much weight on the acquisitions because realistically it will take 3-5 years for those to bear real fruit but Forza 7 was out three years ago, Forza 8 should have been out now and preferably something else too. Though it's good MS see's software as key now, it speaks volumes as to how poor things had become that during this most critical moment their well still runs dry. Seems from the reviews that that seems to be the key takeaway too, that system lacks a showcase and with none on the foreseeable horizon hopefully MS can confirm one in the new year before they lose momentum.

Comment

And it wasn't long ago that Xbox fans were saying the One is running dry because MS are focusing on games for the new console... That didn't turn out to be true.

Comment

I do think it'll be Sept-Nov 2021 before MS have any major games arrive, particularly S/X orientated ones, but hopefully there's a 'green wave' as adding Halo they could easily time to have Infinite, Forza, something from Rare, Bethesda etc hit in pretty close succession and that could really make an impact next Xmas.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
              And it wasn't long ago that Xbox fans were saying the One is running dry because MS are focusing on games for the new console... That didn't turn out to be true.
              The last big flurry of stuff seems a while ago now, and all of it turned out pretty disappointing, Crackdown, State of Decay and Sea of thieves being the big three i was most interested in. They really should of had one killer exclusive out of those three but that didnt come to pass. Halo looking so poor and missing the launch doesn't fill me with confidence for its quality either.

Comment

Let’s see what MS shows in their live stream event tomorrow. I’m hoping they’ve bought M2.

Comment

If MS approach is to simply buy every studio under the sun then they really are desperate.
                  All the studios they currently own have produced almost nothing of worth. The idea that if they buy enough eventually they'll strike gold is a bad one.

Comment

I’ve installed a doorbell today so hopefully won’t miss the delivery driver tomorrow.

Comment

Whilst i think its fair to say im far more excited by the PS5, im still very much looking forward to the Series X, despite it not perhaps the wow/newness factor, its still exciting. Im most looking forward to playing around with the SSD and gaming in 4K, something i have yet to experiance The launch line up is clearly lacking any exclusives (how i wish Halo Infinite was ready) but i cant wait to play AC Valhalla in 4k, not to mention the plethora of games on Gamepass, most notably Doom Eternal. What ever happens its going to be a very exciting couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                        I'd say one of the biggest things that is a shame about the Xbox launch is the exclusives situation which really has no reason to exist.

Halo: Infinite being delayed is the right move but it's absolute madness to not have another major title or two ready for launch. The systems have been being lined up for years, MS will know that they need compelling software not just for the new console launches but also for the existing Xbox One base and for Game Pass during the key season too. I don't want to put too much weight on the acquisitions because realistically it will take 3-5 years for those to bear real fruit but Forza 7 was out three years ago, Forza 8 should have been out now and preferably something else too. Though it's good MS see's software as key now, it speaks volumes as to how poor things had become that during this most critical moment their well still runs dry. Seems from the reviews that that seems to be the key takeaway too, that system lacks a showcase and with none on the foreseeable horizon hopefully MS can confirm one in the new year before they lose momentum.
                        But you have Gears Tactics launching tomorrow... On console at least that is an exclusive. As much an exclusive as it can be with their current strategy.

Agree though, if supporting last gen is proving too difficult or costly they should just focus on Series S/X and PC...

Even though they said 18 months all first party would come to all platforms I think that needs to be flexible.

Flight Simulator for instance I wouldn't bother with Xbox One

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                          I’ve installed a doorbell today so hopefully won’t miss the delivery driver tomorrow.
                          Mate you're knocking off these DIY jobs in rapid fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                            If MS approach is to simply buy every studio under the sun then they really are desperate.
                            All the studios they currently own have produced almost nothing of worth. The idea that if they buy enough eventually they'll strike gold is a bad one.
                            I'm glad they're not listening to you on this one then... I sincerely doubt the master plan is to buy everyone in the entire world Dr Evil style.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                              Unless Microsoft rewrite the player, and why would they? you have to imagine it’s the same as in the one. The stuttering is absolutely tiny so I imagine many people wouldn’t even notice it but once I’d seen it my brain was wired to look for it and of course then I saw it every time it happened.
                              I wouldn't say it's tiny enough not to notice I immediately notified it and thought the disc might be scratched.

I'll test it tomorrow when I get the X

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                                But you have Gears Tactics launching tomorrow... On console at least that is an exclusive. As much an exclusive as it can be with their current strategy.

Agree though, if supporting last gen is proving too difficult or costly they should just focus on Series S/X and PC...

Even though they said 18 months all first party would come to all platforms I think that needs to be flexible.

Flight Simulator for instance I wouldn't bother with Xbox One
                                It's got very mixed reviews it doesn't look very next gen and It's quite a niche game it will proably do ok but its not gonna set the world on fire like a full next gen reboot of halo or gears would. I thought Mario and them bloody rabbid things was a stretch so at least Marcus Fenix's world kind of fits this sort of game a lot better.

Comment

Working...
                                X