No announcement yet.

Next Gen Advent Calendar II: Playstation 5 Release Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, Gears Tactics isn't going to get much attention beyond being GP filler. I couldn't even imagine how Flight Simulator would work on base XBO, it'd be horrific

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
      The last big flurry of stuff seems a while ago now, and all of it turned out pretty disappointing, Crackdown, State of Decay and Sea of thieves being the big three i was most interested in. They really should of had one killer exclusive out of those three but that didnt come to pass. Halo looking so poor and missing the launch doesn't fill me with confidence for its quality either.
      I saw some footage of State of Decay 2 now running at 4K60 on Series X and it actually looked so much better than I remembered.

Might have to check it out again.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
        I saw some footage of State of Decay 2 now running at 4K60 on Series X and it actually looked so much better than I remembered.

Might have to check it out again.
        It wasn't just the graphics that spoiled it the co-op was broken as you couldn't make any progress on your own world if you joined a friends so there was no reason to join up. I really enjoyed the first one as although it was janky it had that feeling of being in a walking dead style zombie apocalypse. The whole loop of community building, base upgrades, scavenging really appealed to me.

If they had just made the first game again but with a larger play area a more stable game engine and a frame rates that didn't drop down to single figures then they could of had a really amazing property on their hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
          It wasn't just the graphics that spoiled it the co-op was broken as you couldn't make any progress on your own world if you joined a friends so there was no reason to join up. I really enjoyed the first one as although it was janky it had that feeling of being in a walking dead style zombie apocalypse. The whole loop of community building, base upgrades, scavenging really appealed to me.

If they had just made the first game again but with a larger play area a more stable game engine and a frame rates that didn't drop down to single figures then they could of had a really amazing property on their hands.
          Haven't they patched it to hell since launch though? I don't know if they fixed everything you mentioned as I only gave it a whirl in game pass a few months back to get some rewards but I ended up staying a while as it was really good fun.

Comment

What are your honest positives and negatives to the new consoles this far?

PS5

+ Whisper quiet
            + 4K HDR UI
            + Help embedded into the UI
            + Haptics and Triggers on the DualSense
            + Astrobot as a decent packed in title
            + Great backwards compatibility implemented for PS4
            + Demon Souls - a great exclusive at launch

- Limited SSD space for games
            - No VRR or ALLM support at launch
            - No 1440p support at launch
            - Can't copy PS5 games off to an external HDD
            - No NVME support at launch
            - The sheer size of the console
            - Backward Compatibility only for PS4 and only a few major titles getting key patches
            - Game prices hitting £70 in some places

Xbox Series S/X

+ Whisper quiet
            + Game Pass getting EA Play
            + Game Pass getting key launch titles (Gear Tactics, Tetris Effect etc..)
            + Improved latency and USB-C for the controllers
            + Backward compatibility for practically all Xbox games (4 generations)
            + Auto HDR
            + Great backward compatibility patches for key games (Gears 5, Forza Horizon 4 etc...)
            + 1440p support
            + VRR / ALLM support
            + High level of 120fps titles supported
            + Series S pricing

- No Halo Infinite
            - Missing any real must-have exclusives on launch day
            - Same UI and feel as current generation even if faster performance
            - Series S only getting One S level backward compatibility
            - Series S performance seems varied game by game (900p Yakuza v 1080p 120fps Gears v 1080p ray tracing Watchdogs legion etc...)
            - Really limited SSD space for Series S
            - Expensive 1TB expansion card options

Thoughts? That's just off the top of my head.

Comment

Only things i can think of is;

Xbox Series X
              +Releases tomorrow

PS5
              -Have to wait until next week, unlike our US friends.

This is only down to my impatience

Comment

PS5:
                + high speed USBs
                +WiFi6 enabled
                +solid 60fps BC
                +8k compatible (eventually. It's on the box so they have to)

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                  PS5:
                  + high speed USBs
                  +WiFi6 enabled
                  +solid 60fps BC
                  +8k compatible (eventually. It's on the box so they have to)
                  You lost me on the last one

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                    You lost me on the last one
                    Well it says 8k on the console box but it's not available. They'll have to enable it eventually or its false advertising.

Comment

8K for the most useless functions, so daft any console maker mentioning it all

Comment

PS5 has Demon's Souls, Miles Morales plus Spidey Remaster which I missed. Nice BC. Controller! Astrobot. Bugsnax for free.

Xbox. GamePass. A generation of content I missed after 360. Erm, hopefully one nice MS Studio games.

But I'm hopefully now equipped to get the best of both worlds.

Comment

Xbox Series S/X Release Day

It's the big day, the new consoles will be arriving with the couriers and post workers daily rounds and eager gamers will be freeing up a mains socket and a HDMI port to start the fast process of filling up those SSD's with software to try out.

Share your launch day stories

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                            Xbox Series S/X Release Day

It's the big day, the new consoles will be arriving with the couriers and post workers daily rounds and eager gamers will be freeing up a mains socket and a HDMI port to start the fast process of filling up those SSD's with software to try out.

Share your launch day stories
                            Knew you’d be on the ball 12:01

12 hours before I get my hands on it

Comment

I did half expect someone to post they were freezing their knackers off outside a GAME store right now even though a lockdowns on

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                                I did half expect someone to post they were freezing their knackers off outside a GAME store right now even though a lockdowns on
                                My store was open at Midnight(Wales) but because I had an all access order I had to wait until lunch time today. Otherwise I would have been standing outside in the heavy rain

Comment

Working...
                                X