No announcement yet.

Next Gen Advent Calendar II: Playstation 5 Release Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kids have me up f-ing early this morning but thankfully the schools and nurseries are open and they're all getting shipped out before 8.30...

To everyone recieving consoles today the very best of times to you and I hope there's no complications with your delivery.

Comment

New console day! Hope everyone who’s receiving an Xbox today has fun

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
        + Game Pass getting key launch titles (Gear Tactics, Tetris Effect etc..)
        On what planet is a non VR version of Tetris effect a game that came out on the ps4 in 2018 a Key launch title???
        likewise how is some spin off tactics game from a declining franchise a key game? Gears five despite being free on game pass as well pc failed to bring in numbers like the first two games did and they where giving it away!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
          On what planet is a non VR version of Tetris effect a game that came out on the ps4 in 2018 a Key launch title???
          likewise how is some spin off tactics game from a declining franchise a key game? Gears five despite being free on game pass as well pc failed to bring in numbers like the first two games did and they where giving it away!!!!
          Because neither have released on Xbox console until today? And have done so straight into Game Pass?

I would say that was key enough but it's all personal opinion. I also thought Gears 5 was great so don't really see what the problem is there?

Comment

What’s your new console ETA gents? I’m expecting my consoles to arrive by 1330. Pretty impressive seeing as they didn’t arrive in Scotland until 0545 this morning.

Comment

Because neither have released on Xbox console until today? And have done so straight into Game Pass?

I would say that was key enough but it's all personal opinion. I also thought Gears 5 was great so don't really see what the problem is there?
              Whether you liked gears 5 or not means nothing as it doesn't have the pull it once had. We haven't even got a main line gears game as well its a spin off tactics game! likewise a port of a 2018 PS4 Tetris game is not something that should be seen as a positive. Sorry but I'm calling it for what it is and what it will be remembered for a launch with nothing of merit to really get you to update, trading on last gen games as your main selling point isn't a launch strategy i can get on board with.

I remember the launch of the 360 with games like, Project Gotham Racing 3 and Amped 3 being exclusives, it also had stuff like call of duty 2, ridge racer 6 and condemed. there was stuff to look forward too as well i remember getting super excited for games like Lost Planet, and Dead risings their is nothing like this on the Horizon for the series x?

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if part of the reasoning to the acquisitions was because of franchise fatigue. It's been a long while since accurate figures were given but Halo, Forza Motorsport and Gears were all mooted as being in decline this gen. To be fair, all of them are in genres that typically don't see series last as long as these have and all have traditionally been very iterative rather than re-inventing themselves as genre pushing so it's impressive they've lasted this long. It's certainly time for MS to be looking beyond them though in the same way Sony isn't still relying on Jak & Daxter, The Getaway and Syphon Filter

Comment

Whether you liked gears 5 or not means nothing as it doesn't have the pull it once had. We haven't even got a main line gears game as well its a spin off tactics game! likewise a port of a 2018 PS4 Tetris game is not something that should be seen as a positive. Sorry but I'm calling it for what it is and what it will be remembered for a launch with nothing of merit to really get you to update, trading on last gen games as your main selling point isn't a launch strategy i can get on board with.

I remember the launch of the 360 with games like, Project Gotham Racing 3 and Amped 3 being exclusives, it also had stuff like call of duty 2, ridge racer 6 and condemed. there was stuff to look forward too as well i remember getting super excited for games like Lost Planet, and Dead risings their is nothing like this on the Horizon for the series x?
                  I mostly disagree. I'm actually looking forward to Gears Tactics as I like the genre and it's looking great on the new consoles... Spin off or not, I think it's a decent enough game in its own right.

I also really enjoyed Gears 5 and the changes made in that game. I'm not big into the multiplayer of it but the Hivebusters stuff was fun and I really liked the campaign. So personally, I'm not fatigued by that franchise but I will agree with you that MS cannot just rest on their 3 main franchises in Halo, Gears and Forza.

I think the launch line-up is a bit disappointing with Halo Infinite MIA but it's not without merit. The hardware is great, game pass is awesome and there's just about enough in 3rd party titles to make it worth the upgrade.

Comment

I mostly disagree. I'm actually looking forward to Gears Tactics as I like the genre and it's looking great on the new consoles... Spin off or not, I think it's a decent enough game in its own right.

I also really enjoyed Gears 5 and the changes made in that game. I'm not big into the multiplayer of it but the Hivebusters stuff was fun and I really liked the campaign. So personally, I'm not fatigued by that franchise but I will agree with you that MS cannot just rest on their 3 main franchises in Halo, Gears and Forza.

I think the launch line-up is a bit disappointing with Halo Infinite MIA but it's not without merit. The hardware is great, game pass is awesome and there's just about enough in 3rd party titles to make it worth the upgrade.
                    your missing the point this its not about if you like a niche game its that their is no system seller here, a key launch title would be a new Forza, a new Rare IP a new Halo or a new mainline gears. Calling anything coming to game pass today a key launch title shows a misunderstanding of what a key launch title is.

Microsoft key launch title being game pass in place of anything big coming to the system is not what i would consider a strategy that has gone down well for them in the media either.

Comment

Is there really any MS or Sony first party title that’s a genuine system seller? Nintendo has Mario or Zelda for that. The top selling games on PS4 and X1 have been the usual multi platform suspects like Call of Doody, FIFA and the utterly remarkable staying power of GTA V.
                      GTA VI as a platform or maybe even timed exclusive could probably shift a few units.

Comment

With Sony I think it's the volume and frequency that sells systems. Player A might buy it because Uncharted comes out, whereas Player B doesn't care for the series but then buys it because God of War arrives, Player C meanwhile doesn't mind UC, dislikes GOW but buys it because GT arrives etc. Sony have a quality bar across a wide line up of IP's (though the dependency on third person action games is getting heavier).

With MS I'd argue that Halo and Gears both have very dated styles of play and aesthetic to them that plays to a certain crowd. If you're into neither you may like Horizon but broadly if those key 3-4 IPs don't work for you there's not much else to sell the system. The most diverse system they've had content wise was the 360 which also sold the most but MS has wasted a lot of IP and resources over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                          Is there really any MS or Sony first party title that’s a genuine system seller? Nintendo has Mario or Zelda for that. The top selling games on PS4 and X1 have been the usual multi platform suspects like Call of Doody, FIFA and the utterly remarkable staying power of GTA V.
                          GTA VI as a platform or maybe even timed exclusive could probably shift a few units.
                          Its not jut about one game anymore. though odyssey, Breath of the wild and Animal crossing have all done well to spike sales its more about a system having a number of exclusives that provide a compelling reason to purchase it over another.

Comment

your missing the point this its not about if you like a niche game its that their is no system seller here, a key launch title would be a new Forza, a new Rare IP a new Halo or a new mainline gears. Calling anything coming to game pass today a key launch title shows a misunderstanding of what a key launch title is.

Microsoft key launch title being game pass in place of anything big coming to the system is not what i would consider a strategy that has gone down well for them in the media either.
                            So you've taken issue with the term "key"... well ok, lets move on...

Comment

So you've taken issue with the term "key"... well ok, lets move on...
                              No its not just the phrase key the issue is you thinking anyone would buy a system for gears tactics and a 2018 version of Tetris and you putting it in a list as a positive

Comment

Positives - Series S/X
                                -The design of the systems is much better than it was seven years ago with the XBO
                                -The strategy is much improved in terms of being much more pro-consumer
                                -Way down the line MS may have a really compelling software slate in a huge turnaround from the very weak XBO era

Negatives - Series S/X
                                -The marketing and naming convention is simply awful
                                -As great as Game Pass is I don't think it will sell the system
                                -MS is very clearly very poorly prepared for this generation and I'm still currently very doubtful that S/X will outsell XBO which is bad for the market

Comment

Working...
                                X