Next Gen Advent Calendar II: Playstation 5 Release Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
    I do think there'll be a good few cases like that but mostly for kids I think Series S will end up stunted due to the dominance of the Switch
    It's going to be interesting to see how that plays out. My non-gaming colleague went from buying a £15 Nintendo Selects titles for his boys' 2DS consoles to having to purchase Switch games, and he finds them pretty shockingly expensive (especially if you're buying two copies of something). I do think that Game Pass could be a draw for parents.

Of course, Switch has loads of other benefits - like you don't need a TV for it, and you don't have a library of games where a good 50% of it is rated PEGI 18.

Originally posted by Cassius Smoke
    I think overall its going to be a shuffling of the abacus as I've said. People who bought xbox will buy xbox, people that bought Sony will buy Sony. There will be a slim amount of people who buy both and a few people who hop to the other side. Any new gamers will either play what their parents already have in the house or get the console all their friends have.
    Yeah I broadly agree. I do think some PS4 players might go for the Series S (like our own Hudson) due to the lower cost, the draw of Game Pass, and the curiosity factor of trying something new.

But at the moment, I just don't think Microsoft have nearly enough to convert PS4 players en masse. Almost everything bar a few franchises which are declining in popularity is playable on PS5 - whereas PS5 has a strong clutch of popular franchises that many PS4 owners may not want to miss.
    Last edited by wakka; 10-11-2020, 11:48.

Comment

Nintendo consoles are such strange beasts in terms of appeal. WiiU showed that none of its franchises are necessarily console sellers making them very dependent on the hook of each machine compared to the other two companies.

Also, I'm somewhat disappointed that the launches haven't seen extensive XBO/PS4 game sales

Comment

This console is something else and Wispa quite. Forza Horizon 4 looks utterly incredible on it

Comment

The switch will continue it's dominance because lets face it Nintendo make great games for all ages. But having just sold my Switch recently what I will say is Nintendo continue to have sticker-shock when it comes to pricing 3rd party titles.

I have picked up Doom 2016 on Switch and a few other "remasters" but seriously the pricing could do with being revised because some older games getting ported are sickeningly expensive in comparison. Burnout Paradise remastered is one that springs to mind.

If Game Pass and the Series S does anything it might sway kids away who have less interest in the core Nintendo franchises... remains to be seen but it's possible.

As for people sticking with brand. Yeah I think that is how it will pan out in these early years (first two years?) but honestly I truly think this is the generation to own both. Whether you're on PS5 as your main and consuming Xbox games on the side via console or PC, or the other way around I think the way things are going it's a good time to be a multi-platform owner.

Comment

picked up my series cat 10am. Got everything up and running just downloading some series X updates for games.

Comment

01 Week till Playstation 5

Well, unless you're luck enough to live in one of the few territories receiving the system tomorrow, the rest of us have one more week until we reset the clock. Sony's console will soon spill its load into users home and the internet largely spoiling that sense of exploration for those who wait but deliveries on peripherals and games have begun. Now we begin the final countdown by first discussing a digital offering:

Will you be buying Spider-Man: Remastered?

Comment

I got Miles Ultimate as a birthday gift which comes free with Spidey Remastered. Lucky for me, I've never played the original.

Comment

I've got the complete PS4 version on my account, still not seen enough that's convincing the PS5 version is worth shelling out for over it and the path to owning it seems needlessly messy too.

Comment

It’ll be interesting to see which mode people prefer. 30fps with added shiny shine or 60fps for more responsive gameplay. I feel a poll coming on.

Comment

06 Days till Playstation 5

One of the surprise perks of owning a PS5 for many will be the PS Plus Collection that offers twenty free games to run on the system. However, given the popularity of the brand many will have already milked some of the games on offer.

Which of the Collections games are you most focused on downloading?

Comment

I've got all the first party stuff in the collection but I fancy having a go on the Crash trilogy and Persona 5.

Comment

So far I'm planning on:
                          GoW
                          Persona5
                          Days Gone

I might pick up a couple of others later. I think I've only played 2 on the collection list.

Comment

Of the games included:

Batman: Arkham Knight - Maybe, I fancy a replay but I own it on PC
                            Battlefield 1 - Already owned, weak entry so skip
                            Bloodborne - Was never a fan but sometime post Demon's Souls I'll give it another go, especially if a patch ever does appear
                            Call of Duty Black Ops III - Already owned, no need to return to it
                            Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy - Probably not bother, did this on Switch and the games aren't great even though the remaster is
                            Day's Gone - Already owned and high on the list to play through
                            Detroit: Become Human - Previously completed, not interested in revisiting
                            Fallout 4 - Did this on PC, it's really not that great an entry so doubt I'll want to revisit
                            Final Fantasy XV - Also complete, no need to go back
                            God of War - Already owned, high on the list to replay
                            inFamous: Second Son - Already owned, not interested in replaying
                            The Last Guardian - Not already owned but high on the play list
                            The Last of Us Remastered - Owned, done, dusted. Keen to replay the sequel but happy never to revisit this one.
                            Monster Hunter: World - Played enough to be done
                            Mortal Kombat X - No interest
                            Persona 5 - Never played, so will try but wasn't sold on attempts with P4
                            Ratchet & Clank - Going to revisit this one
                            Resident Evil 7 - Done on PC, no need to play it again
                            Uncharted 4 - Not a high priority but I'll revisit it at some point
                            Until Dawn - Not a game for replays

Comment

The big ones for me are God of War and Bloodbourne. I haven't played either and really should have.

The latter I'll park for a good while though, as I'm kicking off my PS5 experience with Demon's Souls.

I've played most of the rest of the games that I'm interested in, to be honest.

Comment

I haven't played any but if I had to pick it would hands down be God of War, especially as they've added haptics in as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X