This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fuse View Post
    It's getting thrown around enough that I think we're overdue now on a thread where someone (virtually) sits down and explains what DLSS is, as if explaining it to a child. That'd be really useful for me for you all.
    It's what used to be called the dole in the 1980s. HTH.
    Last edited by endo; 23-03-2021, 12:25.

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post
      It's what used to called the dole in the 1980s. HTH.
      Close. DHSS.

Comment

...couldn't help myself.

Comment

DLSS is pretty much God's gift to compensate for sending us COVID. The extent to which it improves both the possible image quality and performance hand in hand cannot be understated.

That being said, it's still an utter waste of time on Switch. There's so much chatter about the games that might come to it but let's say that games are coming you have two scenarios:

1 - The game has to be compatible with existing Switch's
          2 - It's exclusive to the new model

In scenario one you're pretty much ruling out anything first party. Nintendo has literally never made a game that the Switch couldn't run, often to 60fps already. Let's be absolutely honest, they aren't going to make one either and no matter of wishing by Era will make the plainly still WiiU possible BOTW2 that game either. Anything falling in this category will get stable performance but you're broadly still looking at the same title choices already coming to the system.

In scenario two we're realistically looking at ports of games the Switch lacks the power to run currently. Now, the audience for such games is going to be fractional. The new model won't boost sales in any meaningful way, this is going to be more about lifespan lengthening than getting core gamers who would already have played such games on better suited formats already. EA still aren't going to bother, neither will Rockstar etc so what? Cyberpunk 2077 port? Meh.

The resolution on TV's will be nice though...

Comment

Given the latest Mario game only runs at 30fps in handheld mode I’d say this new model Switch with DLSS is overdue.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
              Given the latest Mario game only runs at 30fps in handheld mode I’d say this new model Switch with DLSS is overdue.
              3D World runs at 30fps?

Comment

Just the Bowser's Fury part, and only in handheld mode, I'm pretty sure.

I think the 'New' Switch, Switch 'i', or whatever Nintendo call it is an inevitability, and I don't think it'll be a bad thing at all. It's not going to be a game changer, but something which refines the design and boosts performance a little bit should do just fine for helping to keep the machine relevant. It's relatively long in the tooth now.

Comment

The main thing will be extending the Switch to a 7-10 year lifespan. I mean, if they plan to do that then they must have some proper new games due to come out at some point... right?

Comment

You would think so. On the one hand, it feels like Nintendo really don't need a Switch 2. The current machine is so successful, they've built a terrific userbase, and their games really don't need a whole lot more in the way of horsepower to deliver great, modern experiences.

On the other, it feels like the next wave of really significant first party software won't arrive until that new machine does. BOTW 2 feels like it'll be a cross-gen game again, the next Mario and Mario Kart will certainly be Switch 2 exclusives, as will Metroid Prime 4 (if that even ever happens).

So, it's kind of a weird one. I don't feel personally that Nintendo need a whole new piece of hardware, but I feel like I'm going to be waiting for the games I really care about until they do finally release it.

Comment

I don't know whether they'll give us many more games and I'd definitely be keeping expectations firmly in check on that one. But when Nintendo are doing well, one thing they tend to be quite good at is selling the same userbase more of the same systems. An embarrassing amount of us will likely end up buying several Switches over its lifespan and I'd see a new model more as a way to make that happen rather than a way to deliver all those hundreds of wonderful new games they've been hiding.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                        Just the Bowser's Fury part, and only in handheld mode, I'm pretty sure.

I think the 'New' Switch, Switch 'i', or whatever Nintendo call it is an inevitability, and I don't think it'll be a bad thing at all. It's not going to be a game changer, but something which refines the design and boosts performance a little bit should do just fine for helping to keep the machine relevant. It's relatively long in the tooth now.
                        Super Nintendo Switch would get my vote.

Seriously if they can use DLSS to get 4K out of a docked mode I'll be impressed. It is definitely future proofing against the competition which I guess is more cloud streaming tech than directly with the next gen consoles (or maybe it's both, the lines aren't so black and white these days).

Either way I'd be up for a better switch. I enjoyed my time with the current model but sold mine in November as I got a offer I couldn't refuse and I wanted to upgrade the lounge TV.

If this is priced right and maybe more importantly fixes some of the problems with the current model then I'll be tempted.

I don't really think the handheld needs a higher resolution, just maybe a better quality screen. But I would like onboard Bluetooth support for audio and mic. I fix those goddamn joycon sticks (dreaming).

Comment

The lack of Bluetooth headphone compatibility is demented. That’s a must for the new model IMO.

Comment

Do the joycons still wobble?

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                              Do the joycons still wobble?
                              No drift, but the batteries last 12 seconds.

Comment

Haha! I mean between the screen and the joycons.

Comment

Working...
                                X