Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somewhat tangential, but watching that Direct I was reminded of the musical shift in Mario games towards big band jazz and bombastic/sweeping orchestral stuff. It always sounded inappropriate to me. Do you guys like this music in the later Marios? I have to grit my teeth through it.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
      Somewhat tangential, but watching that Direct I was reminded of the musical shift in Mario games towards big band jazz and bombastic/sweeping orchestral stuff. It always sounded inappropriate to me. Do you guys like this music in the later Marios? I have to grit my teeth through it.
      I think that the Galaxy/Galaxy 2, SM3DW and Odyssey soundtracks are fantastic.

Not necessarily the style of music that you'd initially associate with Mario, but it's done so well.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
        I love the music in Odyssey. It's just really joyful. That being said, it is something of a shift.

Comment

It's only a shift in terms of instrument sampling. The bits where Odyssey goes 8-bit is pretty good testament to that. You could probably retro-fi all of the modern tracks and they'd fit into any 8-/16-bit Mario game.

If they were to ever do a 3D remake of Super Mario World all of those tunes would likely receive orchestral renditions.

Comment

It's a big shift but I actually really love it. The orchestral music in Mario Kart 8 was a revelation after the simpler fare in MK Wii. I really enjoyed hearing familiar tracks like Moo Moo Meadows with an orchestra in particular.

Comment

Anyone wanting a japanese game & watch for any reason amazon J has gone live

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                It's a shift only in terms of instrument sampling...You could probably retro-fi all of the modern tracks and they'd fit into any 8-/16-bit Mario game.
                I'm not sure about that. I don't think there's anything in the two Galaxies' sweeping orchestral scores, for example, that is as iconic and memorable as Koji Kondo's original ditties. That's just my preference, though. It's clear there's a lot for love for the new musical direction.

Comment

I've pre-ordered Mario 3D All Stars. Yes, the lack of Mario Galaxy 2 is disheartening and Mazza 64 not being widescreen is a bit jarring, but at the end of the day, these are great titles and they need to be in my library. It could be an investment too. Plus! My kids love mario and all 3 have Switches. They will want to experience these too.

Comment

Apparently the version of mario 3D world thats currently on the uk nintendo store is the digital version despite it not saying so i have had a reply back from customer support, they have thankfully cancelled my preorder for it. Just a heads up for anyone who wanted a cart copy.
                    Last edited by importaku; 04-09-2020, 09:56.

Comment

Im guna wait to pre order Mario 3d World nearer the time seeing as thats a non limited release, it is a standard release right? 🤔

Looking forward to getting 4 people together online as well.
                      Last edited by fishbowlhead; 04-09-2020, 10:00.

Comment

Yeah 3D world is a regular non limited release.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                          Apparently the version of mario 3D world thats currently on the uk nintendo store is the digital version despite it not saying so i have had a reply back from customer support, they have thankfully cancelled my preorder for it. Just a heads up for anyone who wanted a cart copy.
                          Thanks for finding out.

I knew that something was up when the toggle that allowed you to choose physical or digital was missing.

I'll wait for physical pre-orders to appear.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                            Anyone wanting a japanese game & watch for any reason amazon J has gone live
                            https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B08HH5QR...9212010&sr=8-6
                            I can live without one, but I don't like how many products are now back-pedalling on Amazon JP's capacity to send to the UK

Comment

It seems totally random, one minute they are fine next minute nope no international shipping for you then it’s oh yes this will ship ok. One of the reasons I just end everything to tenso.

Comment

Mario 3D Allstars ordered from Amazon. Yeah, I know £50 but I was reflecting: I never completed ANY of those games for various reasons (work, kids, coming late to N64 etc) and now, I have no excuse!

Comment

Working...
                                X