No announcement yet.

Microsoft Flight Simulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw someone flying into that real world hurricane in the US and it looked scary as fook... Great stuff

Comment

Comment

Great! I wonder if the Gundam statues in Japan and China are in there too?

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
          Great! I wonder if the Gundam statues in Japan and China are in there too?
          That Godzilla's a mod, and right now Tokyo is not photogrammet...uhm...photogrammified...ehr...has photogrammetry data, so no. The same guy will probably do a King Kong on the Empire State Building mod, if no one else does it first.

Comment

Japan update yesterday. Tokyo looks more like a city and not an oil painting now.

I even managed to fly over the Shibuya crossing and it's all there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ono View Post
              Japan update yesterday. Tokyo looks more like a city and not an oil painting now.

Yeah, was pretty disappointed when I flew from Chitose to Haneda and the Diet building was the only real landmark there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ono View Post

That looked stunning. Thanks.

Comment

The VR patch came out for this yesterday (22nd Dec) and I've given it a go.

It's the only way to play this game with one massive caveat, you need a RTX 3080 or 6800XT, with my GTX 1080 on low settings it chugs at about 25 fps (at a guess, it's around here). On a top end GFX card this game is going to be untouchable in VR - the sense of being in the plane even with my setup is well ahead of X-Plane 11.

I did a flight VFR in a Cessna 172 Skyhawk from Manchester to Wittering in real time, reaching Wittering for a nice touchdown just after the sun had set. The towns were lighting up and I made the runway before it got too dark. Just a superb experience.

I keep checking the availability via stock checker, but continue to be disappointed that the eBay scalpers have all the cards - I need a 3080 for this game. I want to land at Lukla at a decent framerate.

Comment

Reports from i9 3070 user that on minimum settings it’s quite poor performance and on a 2080ti it’s unplayable. Not tried it myself yet. I know VR is a struggle in DCS so it wouldn’t surprise me.

Comment

I've managed to get it running at a usable framerate, but it's not ideal. You can super-sample in the Steam settings to 220% and down sample within the sim. I've gotten it running over 30 fps and it doesn't look completely awful, just a bit jaggy. Better having the smooth framerate I think. There are a couple of threads on the MS Flight Sim forums for what's needed to be done.

I don't have any issues running DCS with the 1080 in VR or X-Plane 11, but MS FS 2020 is a struggle with a lot of hardware even before VR, so it's not surprising adding extra rendering workload hurts a lot of machines.
                      Last edited by MartyG; 23-12-2020, 23:38.

Comment

It is absolutely unplayable in VR with my:

Ryzen 3900x, RTX 2080S and 32GB ram - Valve Index.

I swear the in-eye framerate is below 20fps although the representation of the goggles on my monitor seems smoother.

Comment

Try turning down the TAA to under 60 in the settings and super sample in SteamVR - TAA really hits performance - you should be able to get over 30 FPS on the 2080 super.

Comment

I used to feel a bit funny in the stomach if I tilted a plane down towards the earth in Flight Sim 95 and looked closely enough at my 15" CRT. Bet it's bloody terrifying in VR.

Comment

50% of the reviews on the Xbox app give this 1/5 (559 reviews).

Comment

Then they are clowns. The only downside to MS Flight Sim is that it needs a fairly high-end PC to run smoothly and it takes up a chunk of HDD space.

In VR the experience is incredible - maybe the were expecting to be Maverick - that's not what Flight Simulator is. It's a simulator.

Comment

Working...
                                X