Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's gonna be some salty Xbox fans queuing up to about at Keighley after that.

Comment

Like this?

Comment

Sony have secured his allegiance with the promise of a lifetime supply of Doritos and Mountain Dew no doubt.

To be fair, based on the notes above and without watching it, I'd say he's right. MS and Sony are taking really different approaches. But it seems pretty certain that it's Sony's approach that will move more machines.

Comment

The SeriesX reddit page is full of hopeful disappointment. It's a really bad sign when a fan page is full of people saying they'll hold off for a year and criticising the build up.

Comment

I usually get a new generation console on day one, but yeah, this year I feel like just plodding on through my backlog.

This generation seems rushed by two companies wanting to be first to market, but with one or the other lacking somewhat where it counts. Games.

Comment

The Red Dragon is pretty terrible at fueling rumours and spreading BS like wildfire. I used to watch his channel a few years but he went really negative in MS over a few things and he's had it in for them ever since...

I think Geoff has a point but we already knew Sony has solid first party titles... This isn't new.

I don't think MS is all about power either otherwise they'd be only about the Series X and not bringing a cheaper console to market with the Series S.

Yet I agree, both lack launch support at this rate but then 2020 has been an awful year for development. I'm amazed either are still coming at all this year.

Outside of that we haven't seen all that MS has coming for first party yet.... There is plenty Geoff maybe hasn't seen yet as they're not sharing information yet.

I think people choosing to wait is a sound plan as it's going to be sparse this year... Me, I can't wait for a new console. I've plenty of old stuff to throw at it so it's not like it'll be an ornament gathering dust till the good stuff comes along.

Comment

I don't know the Red Dragon, but the video he posted did look real :P

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                  Outside of that we haven't seen all that MS has coming for first party yet.... There is plenty Geoff maybe hasn't seen yet as they're not sharing information yet.
                  Yeah, but it's always going to be the case that we're not going to know everything that's coming.

Being realistic, Microsoft don't have a million awesome games that are nearly done up their sleeves that they've just neglected to tell us about. If there was a time to tell us about them, it would be now, right on the cusp of releasing their new machine. They're not going to be hiding their light under a bushel at such a crucial moment.

I think the fact is that instead of focusing on exclusive software, they've chosen to focus on having the most powerful machine (which will probably deliver the best version of third party software and win all the Digital Foundry head-to-heads in the coming years), and offer a great value subscription.

It's a strategy, for sure. I just don't think it's going to be as effective as Sony's strategy of focusing on prestige exclusives.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                    I don't know the Red Dragon, but the video he posted did look real :P
                    Yeah it's the IGN Unfiltered interview, I'm just saying he's very biased against MS these days...

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                      Yeah, but it's always going to be the case that we're not going to know everything that's coming.

Being realistic, Microsoft don't have a million awesome games that are nearly done up their sleeves that they've just neglected to tell us about. If there was a time to tell us about them, it would be now, right on the cusp of releasing their new machine. They're not going to be hiding their light under a bushel at such a crucial moment.

I think the fact is that instead of focusing on exclusive software, they've chosen to focus on having the most powerful machine (which will probably deliver the best version of third party software and win all the Digital Foundry head-to-heads in the coming years), and offer a great value subscription.

It's a strategy, for sure. I just don't think it's going to be as effective as Sony's strategy of focusing on prestige exclusives.
                      I mean that basically at the showcase MS chose to not show stuff we know if in development at some of their studios. Maybe strategic or maybe it's just nowhere near ready but basically they're not telling the press everything right now... So there's definitely exclusives we don't know about right now other than speculation.

I think Sony are hurting as well btw ... This year has smacked both launches around for sure. I think Sony were smart to show 2021 content like Horizon early though. They haven't said when it's coming but it shows intent.

Honestly I don't see anyone who owns a PS4 jumping ship for an XSX or anyone with an Xbox switching to a PS5... I think neither show anything in 2020 that is a system seller... But both show enough intent to convince some to upgrade in that ecosystem.

For me it's a no brainer to get an XSX and stick with game pass as my first platform of choice. I don't have a powerful PC or a PS4... But I might be swayed to get a PS5 next year mainly because I've missed a load of back catalog exclusives from this gen. The way I see it MS can potentially convince a similar setup as a second system to current PS players, whether that's on PC, Xbox or Cloud.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                        I mean that basically at the showcase MS chose to not show stuff we know if in development at some of their studios. Maybe strategic or maybe it's just nowhere near ready but basically they're not telling the press everything right now... So there's definitely exclusives we don't know about right now other than speculation.
                        Obviously MS and Sony both have stuff in development they haven't shown. Neither are going to tell the press about absolutely everything they've got in development at any given moment - it's the nature of the business.

But we can only judge both lineups by the information that we're given. On the basis of that information, Sony's is a hell of a lot stronger. I don't think you can say, oh, but, MS's is probably secretly really strong. If it was, it wouldn't be a secret. They'd just tell us!

Don't get me wrong - I love my Bone, and I'm super keen for Series X to succeed because I really want a competitive marketplace with lots of exciting games on all platforms. I'd love to have a reason to buy a Series X! I just don't think anyone saying that PS5 has a stronger exclusive line-up right now is off-base at all.

Comment

You'd think amidst the somewhat negative vibes hovering towards MS, they would tell us more about games being made, or more examples of the machine's capabilities. Even, if there are no gameplay examples. Why would they hold back? Apart from the price, I'm finding difficult to believe they're holding back a lot of cool stuff to turn the tide. I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

If they had stuff to show, they'd show it. No better time than right now.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                              If they had stuff to show, they'd show it. No better time than right now.
                              See you say that but I think there's a massive game of cat and mouse going on with MS/Sony right now. I'd argue it doesn't do MS any favours trying to compete with Sony on first party content because we all know they're in second place... And it doesn't make sense for them to spoof all of their announcements early in an attempt to persuade stalwart PS4 owners anything different.

I think the Halo delay is damaging them currently but they aren't expecting to come first in console numbers. They're expecting to establish multiple pieces of a larger ecosystem in a way that Sony cannot right now.

I think the first party exclusives will start to look like a more level playing field in 1-2 years but MS will be well ahead in other areas. Perhaps ones Sony isn't even bothered about...

Comment

[MENTION=221]nonny[/MENTION]

You could be right - no crystal ball on my end! (If there was, I'd be looking at lottery numbers rather than MS's first party lineup if I'm honest)

As you say, there's no doubt that MS's acquisitions are working on stuff. Let's hope both platform holders keep their feet pressed to the floor in terms of exclusive development this gen.

Comment

Working...
                                X