Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I imagine the 1440p thing will get lost amongst casuals quickly. It's not a resolution standard users will be using or be familiar with and isn't being pushed as any level of standard by TV makers either. Even if people were commonly knowledgeable about it they'd nearly always have a TV specced either above it or below it.

Comment

Are there televisions that display 1440p? I mean that aren’t 4K televisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        Nein, you can get big displays that do it but none that are technically a TV ( with a tuner ).

Comment

Not to my knowledge, I mean it's effectively 2K but I think it's only popular for PC monitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
            I think I agree. If there was never a one x there probably wouldn’t be as much of an issue. Those who splashed for an x will likely do so again for series x. The 2k target is odd though. I mean for me it’s perfect but surely most console gamers use a tv and that is either gonna be 1080 or 4K no?
            I bought one for £150 (mint condition) last week just after the Microsoft Announcement, its going into a 65" LG OLED. I read somewhere that there wont be many games restricted to Series S/X only going forward & so I abandoned my plans to get the Series S. I then sold my One S for £120 and am really enjoying the 4k Forza Horizons, Gears of Wars & Halos along with continuing to play my 4K UHD's, its also Black like my PS4 Pro & Switch. I do not regret my decision.

Comment

Great buy at that price.

Comment

Well you hit the nail on the head there. I don’t actually know.
                Ill have a bet that on Day One .The series S will be doing and handling stuff way beyond that of the One X . You may look and want to be up screen res as the defining factor , but it's not like the Series X will be pushing a screen res, that the One X doesn't push already. What next, that's not more powerful either?

Comment

But is the Series S outputting at 1440p or rendering at 1440p and then up/downscaling depending on the TV?

If I put my One X in 1440p mode it puts the image in a window on my 4K OLED.

Comment

Prob upscaling. My One S renders at what, probably 900p, but outputs a 4K image.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                      Prob upscaling. My One S renders at what, probably 900p, but outputs a 4K image.
                      One S renders at 1080p doesn't it? Digital Foundry will do the in depth on all this for sure but I'd expect either the Series S renders at 1080p and upscales to 4K on TVs that support that, but I guess maybe it'll do it starting from 1440p.

Who knows though I figure if it's connected a 1080p TV it'll be a straight 1080p rendered.

Teddy - I think TV do that with 1440p because it's basically not a standard output they recognise? Dunno really.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                        One S renders at 1080p doesn't it? Digital Foundry will do the in depth on all this for sure but I'd expect either the Series S renders at 1080p and upscales to 4K on TVs that support that, but I guess maybe it'll do it starting from 1440p.

Who knows though I figure if it's connected a 1080p TV it'll be a straight 1080p rendered.

Teddy - I think TV do that with 1440p because it's basically not a standard output they recognise? Dunno really.
                        One S renders most intensive games at 900p or below if you look at DF head to heads. Lighter indie stuff is 1080.

Regarding if Series S will render at 1440p and then display at 1080p, it might do. There's form for this in consoles. PS4 Pro renders higher than the display resolution and then supersamples downwards in some games.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                          But is the Series S outputting at 1440p or rendering at 1440p and then up/downscaling depending on the TV?

If I put my One X in 1440p mode it puts the image in a window on my 4K OLED.
                          You must have just scan , 1:1 or native mode switched on.

It’s the next gen S model; developers target 1440p, but the console outputs upto 4K
                          Similar to PS4 Pro in that regard.

Comment

No, TVs are 4K or 1080p.

The 1440p figure is just to give people an indication that it’s not a “4K native” machine but it’s more capable in this regard than the current gen S.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                              I give them a year, at most.

I'm hoping for some good Black Friday deals on the One X. I only really need a new controller and Perfect Dark in 4K.

If I can get a Cyberpunk console I'd be over the moon.
                              There will be a tonne of used consoles knocking around, you can have mine for whatever CEX cash price is if you fancy?

Comment

Well you hit the nail on the head there. I don’t actually know. That probably answers Boris’ question too. What I’m really talking about here is the confusion of the series s and it’s incredible that some people just wont accept that. Of all the new consoles the series s is kinda the one that appeals to me the most. It’s tiny, it’s cheap, it’ll play loads of older Xbox games across generations and, I think (confusion here again) that it will enhance some or all of them in some way. Not the same way my one x did though. And I think that would be excellent as I game on either a 2k monitor or in vr. I may have talked myself into getting one.

ITS STILL BLOODY CONFUSING THOUGH!
                                It’s the same setup as this gen

S is the standard machine.
                                X is the 4K machine.

There isn’t much more to it than that really.

Comment

Working...
                                X