Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the flipside, if you'd rather prioritise picture quality over HDMI 2.1 within a limited budget, you can get a Philips OLED754 for £989 (same price as the Samsung Q80T). Again you're at 55" with that though.

The pricing kinda looks like this:

£500 - £600: Decent LCD/LED TV, no HDMI 2.1 (40"/43")
    £1000: Improved LCD/LED TV with HDMI 2.1 or OLED with greatly improved picture but no HDMI 2.1 (55")
    £1400 - £1500: LG CX with greatly improved picture (and probably better picture than the Philips) and HDMI 2.1 (48" - 55")

All of the above including 4K HDR.

I'm repeating myself, but I really reckon it's worth doing some demos. It will help to crystallise in your own mind whether those £500/£600 models, with their acceptable price and ease of fitting into your current setup, are worthwhile to you - or whether the upgrade needs to be pushed back and a solution found to the space issue (VESA arm or similar).

The other advantage of pushing back a decision and an upgrade is that we will inevitably see HDMI 2.1 filter down to smaller/cheaper TVs as we move forward. It really is built into so few sets right now. Even most of the high end ones are missing it.
    Last edited by wakka; 12-10-2020, 12:23.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
      Yeah, stick with what you've got now and look to upgrade the TV in the new year.
      If you can't splash the cash for a £1200-1500 set at the moment, this is probably the best bet. The tech that's in the high-end sets now will be in the mid and lower end sets in 12 month's time or so for half the money, or you may be able to pick up last year's high-end set at that point for a discount, I'd do that simply so I could afford a set with VRR.

Comment

Yeah this is good advice. HDMI 2.1 has only really come to the forefront and once these new batch of consoles are out you can expect most new mid-range TVs to have it supported next year.

I would definitely look to see how you can fit a 55" slim TV into the space though. 40"-43" seem like a dying breed and really the LG CX 43" is a rare thing... you'll end up paying through the nose just to go small!

As wakka mentioned you can get VESA brackets to sit just outside the wall, presume that might help but without seeing the space it's hard to say.

Comment

Honestly the simplest option might be to buy a new house. Just explain to your wife it's so you can have variable refresh rates and I'm sure she'll understand.

Comment

Dirt 5 Xbox Series X gameplaying running through the 3 graphics modes (including 120fps)

Comment

Haha. My wife is blind without glasses. She says she don't see the difference between SD and HD. There is no hope lol.

Comment

Yakuza: Like A Dragon Series X preview...

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                  Haha. My wife is blind without glasses. She says she don't see the difference between SD and HD. There is no hope lol.
                  Ok simple upgrade it while she's out of the house and hopefully she'll never even notice.

Comment

Is that going straight on Game Pass? Haha I feel like a meff, expecting everything to land on Game Pass so I never buy a game on Xbox.

I think I might actually get this if it isn't.

Comment

Yakuza's looking class. Really looking forward to playing it.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                        Is that going straight on Game Pass? Haha I feel like a meff, expecting everything to land on Game Pass so I never buy a game on Xbox.

I think I might actually get this if it isn't.
                        Don't think so but the Medium is going straight into game pass... Unfortunately it's out after Cyberpunk hita so I doubt I'll look at it until next year.

Comment

Comment

I still can't get one here

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                              I still can't get one here
                              Yeah its getting ridiculous, not just PS5 or Xbox but PS4s are still pretty much sold out with some book-off stores near me selling the standard ones for ¥38,000. Looks like the Pros have been discontinued completely and only the black standard ones are still for sale (when they are in stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
                                Yeah its getting ridiculous, not just PS5 or Xbox but PS4s are still pretty much sold out with some book-off stores near me selling the standard ones for ¥38,000. Looks like the Pros have been discontinued completely and only the black standard ones are still for sale (when they are in stock)
                                Man, what a **** show. Just as well I bought a PS4 a while back.

Comment

Working...
                                X