Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It really is. Countless model numbers that are actually the same makes it a minefield. Apparently its to prevent price matching.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
      It's a case of future proofing yourself a little bit - whilst they might not be an issue now, that might change in two or three years. So it's a case of how long you intend to keep the TV for and how willing you are to sacrifice the ability to do 4K120 with VRR without buying a new set. VRR is a good feature to allow uncapped framerates whilst avoiding tearing (which I personally hate), if I was buying a new main TV and spending a good amount of cash on it, VRR would be a key feature I'd want included.
      Oh yeah definitely. Having enjoyed freesync on my monitor the next TV I buy will have VRR.

I am just sitting it out and waiting right now because my current TV is fine but I got burned as an early adopter. It's a Samsung HU8500 which is 4K and 100hz panel from 2014 but it doesn't do HDR at all. Even so the display of 4K content on it looks amazing and it'll do me for now.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
        Jeez. Buying a TV seems like a daunting task nowadays. I need to have a lab coat on to shop for one Are Sony and MS educating us enough?
        You're going to seriously struggle finding anything at 40".

If you have the space and the budget the LG CX is a one-click buy. It's never been easier working out what the best gaming TV is. Unfortunately not everyone has the space or the money.

Don't feel bad - I can't afford any new console. I have a Wii and an X360 under my TV. Despite that I still want a new TV first.
        Last edited by dataDave; 12-10-2020, 10:30.

Comment

Yeah I totally get what you're saying. It's a bit of an investment isn't it? You want your device to stay relevant for years down the line. Unfortunately, we just bought a PS5, 2 Series S and a PS4 for the launch and Xmas presents (and my daughter has still yet to decide!).

Being on a bravia LCD 1080p for the last gen and then going to a budget LED 4K with HDR might be enough to convince my eyes?

Comment

I think the biggest limiting factor is that physical size of TV you're going for.

You'll need to be wary of manufacturers like Samsung and Sony where quite often the larger units in the exact same model number are actually better spec because they limit the 43" model to only 60hz.

Honestly I realise you've a specific space for it but even going up to a 50-55" TV is going to make it an easier selection process.

Comment

I bought our 1080p 50" Toshiba for Y20,000(£150) from a colleague who was leaving the country a few years ago.

Recently I've been thinking about getting a smaller one with better features like HDR, not least because having this monstrosity in our tiny J-flat reminds me of Fred Flintstone ordering the huge ribs that knock his car over.

Every time there's an earthquake, I secretly hope it'll fall down

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                Being on a bravia LCD 1080p for the last gen and then going to a budget LED 4K with HDR might be enough to convince my eyes?
                This is the conundrum. You'll be going from a great LCD to a (let's face it...) crappy LED. All of the 40" sets on rtings sit between a 3 and 5 rating. :/

I strongly suggest a demo.*

I can't believe we don't see better TVs in the 28"-40" range anymore. As randbombs states, what does Japan do?

*EDIT: Forget the demo. Just save up for the 48" LG CX and make it fit, somehow. Being brutally honest I think it's a little silly spending all that money on new consoles (Christmas be damned) and not having a TV which is going to do them proper justice. Also, jumping from 40" 1080p to 40" 4K... You're going to have to sit very close to the screen to see any big difference. The HDR would be way more noticeable.

I'd stick with the Bravia. 100%. Make the new TV a priority for the new year.
                Last edited by dataDave; 12-10-2020, 11:21.

Comment

The space is probably the biggest limiting factor, yeah. The 'normal' size for a TV has increased to 50"+ and 40" sets are now kinda niche.

The two sets that probably jump out to me are the Panasonic 40HX800 and the Samsung 43Q60T. Not sure if the Samsung might be too large for the space you have available though.

IMO, it would be worth going to a shop that has these and demoing them (and other sets that they have in the correct size/price range) before making a purchase.

EDIT: Worth noting that if you did really want a larger TV, then you could go the route of mounting it on a VESA arm coming out of the wall. This would allow you to position it in front of the space you have available (and also move it around and change the angle it's facing).

Comment

I'd agree with going for the LG CX 48" and just making it fit. That is the kitchen sink option and arguably worth the investment simply because there is zero competition in that size.

Expensive but very, very good.

Comment

Am now pivoting towards the LG CX. Heard nothing but good things about it, and it seems to be better future proofed than the Sony options. Room it’s going to be in won’t result in much direct sunlight on the set either, so that typical OLED limitation isn’t a factor

Comment

I reckon I could squeeze a 43" in the space providing the whole TV is now more than 96 or 97cm ( can't remember exact size. Jeez me and my chimney breast

Comment

Having bought my LG C9 back in April I would never again consider buying a non-OLED TV (until a newer technology that is better is released).

Comment

I totally agree with you guys, but if your budget is £500, your budget is £500. An OLED is triple that. If it was a £200 increase I'd say 'surely you can stretch...', but they are a decent wedge more.

Comment

Yeah, stick with what you've got now and look to upgrade the TV in the new year.

Comment

Originally posted by dazza_cole View Post
                                Am now pivoting towards the LG CX. Heard nothing but good things about it, and it seems to be better future proofed than the Sony options. Room it’s going to be in won’t result in much direct sunlight on the set either, so that typical OLED limitation isn’t a factor
                                The older C9 actually has the full bandwidth spec 2.1 ports and LG gimped this years model but the reality is that isn't going to affect much in the short term. But it's still the TV to beat in terms of features / spec and that all important picture quality.

If you don't want OLED but need HDMI 2.1 then the Samsung Q80T is a good entry but it only has one HDMI2.1 port. Or look at the Sony XH900 mentioned further up (that has 2x) but I have been reading this model isn't as bright in HDR modes.

There actually isn't that many options if you want HDMI 2.1... which is partly the reason I am still waiting a while to see how things develop.

Comment

Working...
                                X