Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's very clever what they have done. They've taken a bit of new technology that ships with the PS5 and made it a feature of the game. Namely the SSD. It's the kind of thing I'm use to seeing nintendo do.

Comment

It is clever because I honestly think it could be done without the super SSD speeds it's more that tech makes it seamless and they've built that feature around it.

It makes you think it's only possible on PS5 which isn't entirely true, but it clever to have a game at launch that clearly looks amazing and has this in it.

Also launch window, how big a window... I would presume before Xmas or at least within 2020. Anything further out is being cheeky.

Comment

Who knows?

’Launch window’, like ‘micro transaction’, is one of those marketing terms of art which have annoyingly crept into the gaming vernacular.

This game looks pretty far along in the footage though. I don’t think it can be that far away. Maybe Spring 2021.
        Last edited by wakka; 28-08-2020, 08:59.

Comment

I think Ratchet is the only game so far that has made me think that can't be done on a PS4 or Xbox.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
            They've taken a bit of new technology that ships with the PS5 and made it a feature of the game. Namely the SSD.
            Which part is that? The phasing between dimensions without any loading? Yep - very convincing. Although that rift tether is basically nothing more than a glorified hook-shot. ;p

It looks great. What a showcase. I'd definitely be on board despite never playing one of these before.

Microsoft desperately needed something like this. I say that as past tense because it's clearly too late for them to rectify now.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
              Which part is that? The phasing between dimensions without any loading? Yep - very convincing. Although that rift tether is basically nothing more than a glorified hook-shot. ;p

It looks great. What a showcase. I'd definitely be on board despite never playing one of these before.

Microsoft desperately needed something like this. I say that as past tense because it's clearly too late for them to rectify now.
              Yeah the hopping between the rifts with no loading. They've obviously seen the spec of the PS5 and made a game that takes advantage of that feature.
              Nintendo usually do this kind of thing, like using the mic on the DS to blow out candles. It's just a clever use of the tech.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                Yeah the hopping between the rifts with no loading. They've obviously seen the spec of the PS5 and made a game that takes advantage of that feature.
                Nintendo usually do this kind of thing, like using the mic on the DS to blow out candles. It's just a clever use of the tech.
                It's really important to get new tech across in an early title, too. Show other devs what's really possible and lead by example.

Comment

I wanna see those reflections in mirror glass buildings on Mile Morales.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                    I think Ratchet is the only game so far that has made me think that can't be done on a PS4 or Xbox.
                    Oh yeah definitely. I mean besides the phasing trickery there's is so much going on in there it's definitely a next gen title.

I'm just saying you look at fast drive speeds and memory on PC and even XSX and I'm sure developers could get the same level effect and gameplay but here you can tell they've built the game mechanic around the speeds of that mental SSD they've got and put it front and centre.

Just nice that it really adds and is integral to the gameplay as well, unlike say the touch bar on the PS4 which quickly disappeared from developers minds...

Sincerely hope this hits in 2020. I think saying spring 2021 is way too late if the console is out in November. I mean, that's a big window right there...

It looks finished though so fingers crossed.

Comment

Yeah definitely, and if we're talking a launch window spanning into Spring 2021 I would argue that would be Flight Simulator.

Technically that is a marvel in itself though not quite a console seller it's something MS have in the pipeline and I'm sure they're eager to get it into XSX asap with the gap left by Halo... It's definitely coming, though I would say early next year.

Comment

It's really important to get new tech across in an early title, too. Show other devs what's really possible and lead by example.
                        People seem to think Sony just magic this stuff out of a hat, its clearly all planned out carefully likely 4-5 years in advance to ensure each generation has a steady stream of games. MS seem to make a console, then decide to make a few games for it, then buy a studio or two, by which time the entire generation is over.

Comment

I disagree. I think MS went all in on a diverse platform of TV, media and gaming consumption for then start of the last gen thinking they'd gather momentum with that vision from the 360 days...

Of course we know what happened. Since then I think they've been 100% gaming focused under Phil Spencer but it's taken a couple of years to reimagine a vision for future gaming and get buy in to firm up in house development.

I think we will see a turn around to a similar planning model with the studios they've acquired but as it takes time it's not going to be common place till late 2021 onwards.

Fact is, MS have had more exclusives in this year than they did in 2018-2019... But they need more consistent AAA titles dropping.

Sony have the benefit of having 2-3 really top tier houses now and a few others starting to cut through.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                            People seem to think Sony just magic this stuff out of a hat, its clearly all planned out carefully likely 4-5 years in advance to ensure each generation has a steady stream of games. MS seem to make a console, then decide to make a few games for it, then buy a studio or two, by which time the entire generation is over.
                            It really does feel like MS unvailed the console in November, and then started making games for it.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              I'd kill for a Pen Pen Trilcelon about now.
                              Blue Stinger HD Redux.

Comment

As good as it looks though the actual game play does look a bit pish.

One and done.

Comment

Working...
                                X