This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
    Haven't Nintendo stopped selling store credit via third parties?
    Seems noone told CDKeys: https://www.cdkeys.com/nintendo/eshop-topup-cards

I was talking about game keys specifically though, given topup cards for credit don't tend to be discounted.

I am not a big fan of a digital only marketplace, but so long as there are alternatives to having to buy from the wall garden owner, there is a modicum of control over price fixing. Once you have no market alternatives, you're beholden to Nintendo, Sony or MS and whilst they do have sales, rarely are the prices lower than third party stores.

The whole "digital distribution will make games cheaper" myth was just that, a myth, it turned out to be "digital distribution will make our profits higher" - who saw that coming?
    Last edited by MartyG; 14-09-2020, 07:16.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I've paid full whack for some games in the past like a Call of Duty which is going to be perpetually played all year round but say for example with Sony's cinematic games they are the kinds of things that you go through and then might replay a year or two later when the mood takes you. So, for example, take God of War:

Bought for around £47, traded once completed for £42. When the time came that I wanted to replay it I bought it digitally via CDKeys for £6.99. Total cost of game that I now own indefinitely £12 and played through on day one.

There's simply no way that digital only saves money unless you avoid new releases for a long time. Best part is that £42 credit rolls onto the next new release so I'm perpetually paying little outlay for new disc games and getting massive return as long as I don't use it to pick up something like an online title where its playtime exceeds its value.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
        I've said it before, buying digital has saved me money. It isn't more expensive if you take advantage of the global market and discounted credit.

Plus, I still have all the games I've bought. Argue away not actually owning them but I am sure my collection will outlive me so it doesn't concern me one bit
        I think for Day one buys its around £10 cheaper per game. But what I do is either wait or get the game digitally when it's on offer and sell the retail version. Having all your games on the HD is just so much easier and convenient.

Not too bothered about in 20 years time if I can play Xbox One or PS4 games and be more worried if I can game at all

Comment

Yeah I've done buy and replace on discs but now I can't even be bothered doing that.

I can pre-order from other territories for the same price as the disc version locally a lot of the time and lets me pre-install day one... But I do generally tend to just wait a month or so now as well.

The fact MS let's you earn rewards you can convert into credit and has game pass also means I'm spending less real world cash as well. The sum of everything means I'm better off going digitally overall and it suits my consumption.

I honestly could go back to discs now. It just seems so archaic.

Comment

There is a photo taken in a Spanish shop of the till with the prices listed.
            €399 €499 respectively. Could just be a place holder but it also has the Xbox Series prices listed correctly on the screen too.

Comment

Sounds about right doesn't it...

Comment

Ps5 production numbers are rumoured to be at 11 million.
                From launch to March 2014 the ps4 sold ~6 million, so hopefully 11 million should be enough for launch.

Comment

The Bloomberg report on that also had the analyst say his best case scenario on pricing equates to:

Digital Edition - £349.99
                  Disc Edition - £399.99

Comment

If SoaC production yields aren’t great as per the Bloomberg article Sony could be be taking a large financial hit to price the PS5 so low. Early adopters will pay anything so pricing it at break even for launch might not be the worst idea.

Comment

Given how PS4 has been it feels like any loss they take will be mitigated through hardly ever lowering the RRP all generation

Comment

That is still enough for launch but maybe explains the rumour of staggering the launch across territories.

I remember reading something about MS having built in redundancy on their SoC where if up to 2 GPU cores fail they can still be used as they expect it and turn them off. Not sure if I explained that right but basically it's to improve yields.

Comment

Sony will have spare CUs on their chip too. Poor yields could be down to various factors but the high clock speed has to be one if the main culprits.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                            Sony will have spare CUs on their chip too. Poor yields could be down to various factors but the high clock speed has to be one if the main culprits.
                            Good point. I'd forgotten about how hard they were pushing the clock speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                              That is still enough for launch but maybe explains the rumour of staggering the launch across territories.

I remember reading something about MS having built in redundancy on their SoC where if up to 2 GPU cores fail they can still be used as they expect it and turn them off. Not sure if I explained that right but basically it's to improve yields.
                              It may be that the Series X SoCs with failed cores become the Series S chips (where the fails allow that). The RTX 2060 KO edition uses higher end 2080/2070 where the cores have failed. Pure speculation on my part however.
                              Last edited by MartyG; 15-09-2020, 12:46.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                                It may be that the Series X SoCs with failed cores become the Series S chips (where the fails allow that). The RTX 2060 KO edition uses higher end 2080/2070 where the cores have failed. Pure speculation on my part however.
                                The Series S will have it’s own SoC there’s too much of a difference in size and the configuration of the memory controllers to simply bin wonky Series X parts. It would be too costly as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X