This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
    That looks like a cluttered mess. Even with the guy talking me through what he was doing I was confused.
    I won't ever use the team chat or the multiplayer stuff and those hints are never going to be used by 3rd party titles.
    The only thing I liked was the speed of the games loading.
    Yeah, they've come in from the social media angle. Which, to be fair is what's most probably going to give this an edge. If you're a Billy no mates, it's probably overkill. I think they're moving with the times. Not sure if you can call a bunch of linear laid out cards a cluttered mess though.

Comment

The actual home screen is fine, clean and easy with a games tab & media tab, good, fine.

Guide is a total s**t show however and all that crap needs to go off it, complete mess, hopefully the guide is customizable and all that tosh can be turned off.

Comment

Far as I can... it's the same as the PS4 UI for the most part. It's the list of installed games etc in a row and you press a different direction than left and right to access all the nonsense bumph. In essence you highlight your game, press X to play or resume and that's it which with the new speed is pretty much all I needed confirming. All the friends, party and social stuff I just need to be out of my way because it adds nothing of value, same with navigating other screens to get to all my games conveniently on screen. Unless I've missed something that gets in the way it's the better option of new UI's between the two systems

Comment

No wonder you only have 600gb left once all this is installed.

Comment

Digital Foundry boys love it.

Comment

And the box will have a handle apparently:

Comment

Fix that video [MENTION=3537]MoFo2[/MENTION]! A handle reminds me of Megadrive times.... this is important.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                  Digital Foundry boys love it.

they make some good points in that a lot of the functionality is all about enhancing the games on offer and the actual main menu where you launch you content is very clean and snappy. the card system is a gaming overlay for when your plaing games much like the current ps4s quick menu.

i think sometimes its far to easy to look at a UI and come at it form the point of view that the more it dose the harder it is to get into game and the slower this thing will be. the last two generations of consoles have had slow painful menus, ps4 and xbox menus which chug and freeze and become really unresponsive when you snap back to them from in game.

I'm optimistic the ps5 will add features that you will want to use and that using them wont be painful like it has been in past generations. I think we can be a bit too quick to jump on something and say "oh god look at all this stuff on the UI" and look at it with a sense of dread.
                  Last edited by Lebowski; 15-10-2020, 16:54.

Comment

It's nice to see the Settings icon sitting on top of the screen there. Using the search function along with the speech dictation could be powerful too. I'm hopeful that the UI will be quick. Rebuilt from the ground up and I am sure Sony have heard the feedback of users and put a few things that this UI must have going for it straight off the bat.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                      they make some good points in that a lot of the functionality is all about enhancing the games on offer and the actual main menu where you launch you content is very clean and snappy. the card system is a gaming overlay for when your plaing games much like the current ps4s quick menu.

i think sometimes its far to easy to look at a UI and come at it form the point of view that the more it dose the harder it is to get into game and the slower this thing will be. the last two generations of consoles have had slow painful menus, ps4 and xbox menus which chug and freeze and become really unresponsive when you snap back to them from in game.

I'm optimistic the ps5 will add features that you will want to use and that using them wont be painful like it has been in past generations. I think we can be a bit too quick to jump on something and say "oh god look at all this stuff on the UI" and look at it with a sense of dread.
                      The Xbox menus used to chug, especially with a fully loaded external hard drive for instance... But the newest update fixed a lot of the performance issues and reduced the size of the entire UI and Store. This just testing it on a One X and from videos it looks even faster on the new hardware.

It's interesting to see the differences in UI strategy here. Sony are building in features for sharing and party organisation right into the UI but having done that previously to some extent MS seems to be offloading sharing video/images to your phone now.

I figure this is because we're all used to doing that from that device and it was always clunky on a console using a controller.

I do really like the guide/tips integration in the video though. I hate missable achievements so it's nice to have instant access to that stuff and checking it for reference.

Comment

I feel like the integration of challenges/levels from games into the actual console - e.g. being able to go from the PS5 interface straight into a particular race in a driving game - has the potential to be fairly groundbreaking, even if the implementation and usability aren’t perfect from the get go.

It’s something I could see being improved upon, integrated into Xbox at some point, and down the line being a concept we don’t necessarily use every time we play a game, but do take for granted as an available option.
                        Last edited by wakka; 15-10-2020, 20:54.

Comment

Interesting that voice control is built into the console system wide and every controller has a mic for it as well, very nice move. Also looking forward to not faffing with headsets for party chat as well.
                          Last edited by fishbowlhead; 15-10-2020, 20:48.

Comment

Does anyone know if audio works over Bluetooth on PS5? Probably not the best idea, I guess. Unless there's a new Bluetooth protocol in use.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                              I feel like the integration of challenges/levels from games into the actual console - e.g. being able to go from the PS5 interface straight into a particular race in a driving game - has the potential to be fairly groundbreaking, even if the implementation and usability aren’t perfect from the get go.

It’s something I could see being improved upon, integrated into Xbox at some point, and down the line being a concept we don’t necessarily use every time we play a game, but do take for granted as an available option.
                              Yep totally agree with the integration on the achievements tracking and access to solutions/guides... I mean I can do it on Xbox but it's not seamless and requires hopping back and forth into a separate achievements app.

This appears to be on a whole new level and nicely laid out.

Comment

Amazon order cancelled, all in on Smyths now. Only thing left to decide on is the Pulse headset

Comment

Working...
                                X