This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
    It's a nice if temporary perk of the new machines, presumably by 2023 we'll start consistently getting 4K 30fps only titles as standard unles devs really want to increasingly compromise fidelty. Well, even 4K 30fps depends on if they make the required effort, PS4 and XBO could still definitely run Cyberpunk well had CDProjeckt not been so terrible at making those versions
    Having been enjoying 120fps and 60fps titles I don't think I can go back to 30fps even at 4K. As long as there's an option for say 1440p60 or similar I'll take it.

I'm curious to see how things pan out. These are much more powerful consoles but to get the most out out of them Devs will still need to balance out fidelity versus performance when they start adding expensive effects in the mix.

I'm looking forward to Metro Exodus next month with its enhanced edition. That's the first team I've seen go back and use new techniques to hit 4K60 with ray tracing... I'm sure digital foundry will be pawing over every detail.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
      Having been enjoying 120fps and 60fps titles I don't think I can go back to 30fps even at 4K. As long as there's an option for say 1440p60 or similar I'll take it.

I'm curious to see how things pan out. These are much more powerful consoles but to get the most out out of them Devs will still need to balance out fidelity versus performance when they start adding expensive effects in the mix.

I'm looking forward to Metro Exodus next month with its enhanced edition. That's the first team I've seen go back and use new techniques to hit 4K60 with ray tracing... I'm sure digital foundry will be pawing over every detail.
      Miles Morales patched in a 4k 60fps ray tracing mode so your not looking too hard, Returnal also runs at 4k 60fps with Ray Tracing.

Comment

Yeah, the legendary Richard Leadbetter no less. It surprises me that I used to read his Saturn Magazine stuff and now he is counting frames and explosions. He didn't seem to care about crappy 3D graphics back then!

Comment

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with Neon. I almost wonder if it's going to be tough to push players back into 30fps after they've been spoilt with non stop 60fps at the start of the gen though. Perhaps we will see options to decrease detail to allow for 60fps to appear more frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
            Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with Neon. I almost wonder if it's going to be tough to push players back into 30fps after they've been spoilt with non stop 60fps at the start of the gen though. Perhaps we will see options to decrease detail to allow for 60fps to appear more frequently.
            I played Forza Horizon 3 after FH4 and I thought my Xbox was broken.

Comment

I would rather not play the game now than go back to 30fps. 30 is made all the worse on a 4k panel as well, it was just bearable on a 1080p, but 4k? Nope absolutely not, vomit inducing mess.

1440p and 60fps would suit me just fine this whole new gen.

Comment

The betting money is that 4K 30fps is unavoidable as they won't be able to push the visual fidelity unless they abandon 60fps. At some point devs will leave 60fps at the side because it means compromising their efforts too much and most gamers don't really care about it. However, those looking to continue having 60fps as a regular option will no doubt continue to have it providing their willing to shell out another £450 for a PS5 Pro or Series X2

Comment

I wonder if there would be a backlash if 60fps was taken off the table entirely though?

I like a bit of visual fidelity but I almost always go for frame rate of it's there... I personally don't think they can step back to just 30fps even if it does mean 4K visuals. Plus upscaling these days performs some magic where needed and quite often the faster frames hides the reduction in polish.

Returnal springs to mind here. Effectively that's a 1080p game to let it hit 60fps, with it upscaled to 1440p and then checkerboard rendered to 4k.

That wouldn't be the same game at 30fps and it still looks great. They made the right decisions for sure.

I just think this gen is going to make people appreciate higher frame rates more and you can't put it back in the box.

Comment

There’s absolutely zero reasons not to include the options for resolution/performance going forward, the precedent as been set already. For me its 60fps or no sale from now on, simple as that for devs.

Comment

I doubt outside of enthusiast circles there'd be any real pushback at all, that being said console makers need to pursue DLSS aggressively. It's the mana of the gods and the perfect solution whilst sidestepping the need for low demand expensive mid-gen refreshes

Comment

Except dlss is nvidia. I guess you mean amd need to get an equivalent out the door?

Comment

Apparently AMD are working on there own version that will work on pc & PS5/SeriesX gen consoles as well.
                          Last edited by fishbowlhead; 25-05-2021, 15:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                            I doubt outside of enthusiast circles there'd be any real pushback at all, that being said console makers need to pursue DLSS aggressively. It's the mana of the gods and the perfect solution whilst sidestepping the need for low demand expensive mid-gen refreshes
                            Yeah Fidelity FX is the AMD variant isn't it? I see that as being the only way they'll be able to push visuals and effects and maintain a 60fps option. I seriously can't go back to 30fps unless it's a game that doesn't need it ...

Comment

what about the power of

TeH cLouD

The stuff spouted about that on here in this very xbox thread was hilarious

Comment

I think we will see performance/quality modes for most games now with some able to juggle both.
                                I don't see this big thing with native 4k when checkerboard 4k is almost unnoticeable to most. It's almost like neither console maker wants to be the one not to have native 4k for everything as a shear dick measuring contest.
                                Checkerboard 4k/60 is likely more doable for this gen.

Comment

Working...
                                X