No announcement yet.

Playstation 5: Thread 03

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redownloaded this last night and didn’t have a clue what i was doing but holy moly is it smooth as a button. Just need to find time before the next one comes out to finish it.
    Last edited by fishbowlhead; 26-08-2021, 08:41.

Comment

Absolutely loving this. I was part way through my second play through and it's so good coming back to it with the improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
        To counter the bad news for Horizon II: Forbidden West I imagine

I don't think this is that bad to be honest. We knew it was into 2022 for a while now but that's not a bad Valentine's gift.

I figure this is also the reason Halo Infinite isn't getting delayed any further. You slip into Jan/Feb etc and you start to align with competition or get close to other releases.

Comment

I'd love if those were this month's Games with Gold...

Comment

That new, lighter model... It seems Sony just went for a worse heatsink and it runs a good 5 degrees warmer.

Comment

Yeah it's always best to buy the launch PlayStation. I remember the PS3.
              When I saw the heatsink and liquid metal I knew it wouldn't last long before being changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                Yeah it's always best to buy the launch PlayStation. I remember the PS3.
                When I saw the heatsink and liquid metal I knew it wouldn't last long before being changed.
                It's rather surprising they went to the lengths/cost of adding liquid metal and then a year later they do this... I'm wondering how hot they'll run at peak with a second SSD installed and stuck in a shelf unit gathering dust...

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                  It's rather surprising they went to the lengths/cost of adding liquid metal and then a year later they do this... I'm wondering how hot they'll run at peak with a second SSD installed and stuck in a shelf unit gathering dust...
                  Definitely surprised they've done it so soon. In 3/4 years when games are pushing it, it's gunna be hot.
                  My next prediction is that MS make the big metal slab holding the two sides of the MB together thinner. Hunk of metal like that will cost a bit.

Comment

Maybe, and this is a crazy suggestion, they over-engineered the OG model to avoid issues at launch and have spent the past few months gathering data and know that they can reduce materials with only a slight increase in heat / noise?

Do you think they'd have done it if it was going to cause future issues? The system would be stress tested to buggery before being approved.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                      Maybe, and this is a crazy suggestion, they over-engineered the OG model to avoid issues at launch and have spent the past few months gathering data and know that they can reduce materials with only a slight increase in heat / noise?

Do you think they'd have done it if it was going to cause future issues? The system would be stress tested to buggery before being approved.
                      Sony definitely know what they are doing. I'm just surprised it happened only a year after launch.

Comment

The heat increase on the new unit isn't insignificant, as highlighted in the video. It will reduce the overall life of the unit, and may actually decrease performance over time.

Comment

Like you're not expected to buy three or four revisions/replacements anyway. Anyone still chugging away on their original launch PS4?

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                            Like you're not expected to buy three or four revisions/replacements anyway. Anyone still chugging away on their original launch PS4?
                            Yep. Scraped the filth and flies out of her last year and the old girl's running like a dream.

The following image is perhaps not for those of a weak disposition:

Last edited by Golgo; 29-08-2021, 11:33.

Comment

Crikey... Look I'm sure Sony have run the numbers and decided the 5 degree increase is worth it for their bottom line but right now with both this and the original model out in the wild for the same price I know which one I'd prefer.

Comment

Working...
                              X