No announcement yet.

Playstation 5: Thread 03

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I've noticed that in the UK, but it seems the reverse on Amazon France above. The white one is available for del on the 14th Oct, red/blue not till 21st.

To be honest they don't seem massively hard to come by considering they've been available all morning. Think probably a combination of demand being slightly soft (by Switch/game console standards) due to the limited nature of the upgrade, and Nintendo starting manufacturing early enough to produce tons of units.

Comment

Sucker Punch hinted at another ps exclusive coming 2022.
      Obviously Sony still have much more up their sleeve then they've shown so far.

Comment

Just installed an SSD. It's so nice having more storage, the stock 666GB is pretty small.
        I will say, although I found it straight forward, it's never the less an involved procedure. Clipping and screwing and mounting and screwing and clipping. I suspect people will struggle.

Comment

Re: SSD installation: is there a possibility that external SSDs will ever be compatible with the PS5 or is USB too limiting?

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
            Re: SSD installation: is there a possibility that external SSDs will ever be compatible with the PS5 or is USB too limiting?
            Yeah you nailed it, too limiting. The internal SSD needs to have a minimum read speed of 5500MB/S. You can't get that kind of speed through a USB. For that kind of speed it needs direct mounting to the Motherboard. Even Xboxs solution, although plugged into the back, is directly plugging in to the Motherboard.

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
              No, ever, usb hasn’t got the bandwidth.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                Obviously Sony still have much more up their sleeve then they've shown so far.
                Obviously.
                Last edited by fishbowlhead; 09-10-2021, 20:50.

Comment

If they had included a USB-C port with Thunderbolt 4 that would have been fast enough, ish, since it offers 5000MB/s speeds. But I doubt that was in budget. Maybe for the slim or pro model.

Comment

Possibly but it still wouldn’t be quite fast enough and would still need cooling, these drives get real hot.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                      Possibly but it still wouldn’t be quite fast enough and would still need cooling, these drives get real hot.
                      Didn't digital foundry prove that base recommended speed was basically bollocks though? I would think if you could run from an external drive that way you'd be able to scrape by pretty well speed wise.

Of course you can't anyway, but just saying...

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                        If they had included a USB-C port with Thunderbolt 4 that would have been fast enough, ish, since it offers 5000MB/s speeds. But I doubt that was in budget. Maybe for the slim or pro model.
                        Thunderbolt is higly unlikely because that's Intel technology and all current consoles don't use any Intel CPU. You'd need a separate controller, licence, and will make the motherboard way too complex for a console.
                        Maybe next generation with USB 4, but then again SSDs will go PCIE 5/6 and they'll still be faster.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                          Didn't digital foundry prove that base recommended speed was basically bollocks though? I would think if you could run from an external drive that way you'd be able to scrape by pretty well speed wise.

Of course you can't anyway, but just saying...
                          Yes and no. For PCs those speeds aren't getting hit for the most part, mainly because of the way games are designed. However, for the ps5, it's main strength against Xboxs 2 additional TF is its reduced bottlenecks and increased IO speed. Ps5 games, like Ratchet, are designed around the hardware, so the SSD speed in this case is needed.
                          With the hardware designed as it is, and compression its been shown to hit speeds of 21GB/S.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                            Yes and no. For PCs those speeds aren't getting hit for the most part, mainly because of the way games are designed. However, for the ps5, it's main strength against Xboxs 2 additional TF is its reduced bottlenecks and increased IO speed. Ps5 games, like Ratchet, are designed around the hardware, so the SSD speed in this case is needed.
                            With the hardware designed as it is, and compression its been shown to hit speeds of 21GB/S.
                            I don't see what PC has to do with it. We're talking theoretical what-if here with the PS5 having a thunderbolt 4 port instead of just USB. Given R&C has been proven to run just fine on much slower drives it's safe to assume that if TB4 were included it would also run fine on similar speed external drives, provided there was no additional bottleneck.

I realise the game was coded with low level read/write to maximise the game load, but that's a constant here.

Comment

Tom's Hardware tested temperatures of heatsink-less SSDs in the PS5. Temperatures do take a 10-20°C hit (depending on read or write operations) but operating speeds are remarkably similar.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                                I don't see what PC has to do with it. We're talking theoretical what-if here with the PS5 having a thunderbolt 4 port instead of just USB. Given R&C has been proven to run just fine on much slower drives it's safe to assume that if TB4 were included it would also run fine on similar speed external drives, provided there was no additional bottleneck.

I realise the game was coded with low level read/write to maximise the game load, but that's a constant here.
                                Cool it man, I was just talking about what DF had talked about. I didn't build the console.

Comment

Working...
                                X