No announcement yet.

Playstation 5: Thread 03

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah the R&C iT nEEds tHe SSD stuff turned out to be complete BS when I actually played it and it was just a PS2 game with great looking character models.

I bow to other folk’s superior knowledge on the Thunderbolt 4 side of things and what the barriers would be to an implementation on console.

Comment

Things I know:
      Sony recommends minimum 5500mb/s speed
      USB doesn't go that fast
      Thunderbolt 4 goes up to 5000mb/s
      PS5 doesn't have thunderbolt 4

Things I don't know:
      What drive speeds each game actually uses, in particular Ratchet and Clank

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
        Didn't digital foundry prove that base recommended speed was basically bollocks though? I would think if you could run from an external drive that way you'd be able to scrape by pretty well speed wise.

Of course you can't anyway, but just saying...
        Sigh. The min speed for internal is there to make sure the drive will run as fast as it needs to now AND in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
          Yeah the R&C iT nEEds tHe SSD stuff turned out to be complete BS when I actually played it and it was just a PS2 game with great looking character models.

I bow to other folk’s superior knowledge on the Thunderbolt 4 side of things and what the barriers would be to an implementation on console.
          Are you serious?

Comment

I'm 100% serious. I played 5 hours of it and it was a corridor shooter with small environments. The portal stuff from the trailer was hardly ever used, and it felt scripted when it was. It could easily have been dropped from the game and made no material difference as far as I could see.

I gave up after that as I found it quite boring.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
              Sigh. The min speed for internal is there to make sure the drive will run as fast as it needs to now AND in the future.
              Right but as of now the one game that's released that made a big hoo-ha about needing that speed on the internal SSD appears to run just fine on other drives nowhere near that speed... I can't predict whether future games are going to push the limits here, but right now not so much.

Comment

So you’d rather them allow anything and it might not work properly?

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                  Right but as of now the one game that's released that made a big hoo-ha about needing that speed on the internal SSD appears to run just fine on other drives nowhere near that speed... I can't predict whether future games are going to push the limits here, but right now not so much.
                  Ratchet used it as a selling point and gimmick.
                  The real reason for that speed, as Ive said before, is the ability to stream in data on the fly. Entering a room, the game could deload everything outside the room and put the consoles power to just the graphics inside the room, because if you turn round and leave the room, the ps5 can stream in that data so fast you'd never know.
                  The extra SSD has to hit the same requirement as the internal one, because the game example above could be installed on either. At the moment, no ps5 game is doing this kind of thing; it's early days. But it's exactly what it's designed to do, as Mark Cerny described a year or so ago.

Comment

Under rated design feature: the ability to easily clean this console. Just pop the sides off and vacuum out the little holes. I could even take the fan out (with Philips screws!) and clean that too.
                    With the PS4 I had to strip that sucker down to its bones to clean it.

Comment

Yep, it really has had a lot of thought go into it on all fronts.

Comment

I'm finding myself thinking that if Sony wants to revive a franchise to fit its cinematic third person line up I'd like them to properly revive The Getaway. There's a real need for things not to be so dependent on the now once every 2-3 gens GTA franchise.

Comment

I second The Getaway. There's a TV series based on it coming out soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                            I second The Getaway. There's a TV series based on it coming out soon.
                            Eh? When did this happen? Hopefully it’s called Pink Tuesday, the sequel to Black Monday.

Comment

It feels pretty primed as well as the whole Blood & Truth VR series angle ties in as well.

Comment

After releasing all the way back in 2015, it sounds as though PlayStation may finally be looking [...]

A rumour that Bluepoint have been tasked with remaking Bloodborne and that once it's complete will move on to making Bloodborne 2.

I'm doubtful but if it were true... for me it's a waste of the studio.

Comment

Working...
                                X