Playstation 5: Thread 03

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
    If anyone see the official charging dock in stock please let me know.
    I've been waiting to grab one of these too and haven't had much luck. Will let you know as I hear more!

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
      Needs sorting for GoW & Last Guardian. Unless you want to complete both games with your internet off, otherwise no matter what you do they auto update regardless of the settings being switched off.
      They should have targeted any of the titles in the new PS Plus Collection as a priority. I know the Last Guardian isn't included but God of War being the game it is (easily the best in that offering) should have been patched day one.

Comment

It's really bizarre that Sony hasn't patched them to lift the caps, I'm beginning to think they're not going to

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
          It's really bizarre that Sony hasn't patched them to lift the caps, I'm beginning to think they're not going to
          If it were a 3rd party then I wouldn't expect it. Like AC Unity, where digital foundry have showed how well the unpatched version runs with no frame rate lock... reality is no-one is going back to that title any time soon.

But God of War... I mean, its a masterpiece and it's in their new PS Plus collection and the sequel is coming out. What are they waiting for? Obviously there is some work to be done and it isn't a simple switch but from a quality of life point of view it is absolutely something they should do.

All of their major first party exclusives should run to the full extent of the new machines capabilities really but at the very least start with the ones you are promoting.

Comment

I was trying to look up why I thought the God of War 4k/60fps thing was already done. Here's why:

Turns out that was just trying to make a bigger deal out of the out-of-the-box BC than was deserved! Kind of annoying, as God of War was the one game I've downloaded from the PS+ collection, and now I'm feeling more inclined to hang on a bit before playing it.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
              I was trying to look up why I thought the God of War 4k/60fps thing was already done. Here's why:

Turns out that was just trying to make a bigger deal out of the out-of-the-box BC than was deserved! Kind of annoying, as God of War was the one game I've downloaded from the PS+ collection, and now I'm feeling more inclined to hang on a bit before playing it.
              to be fair to Ssony they never really pushed that ps4 games would get boosts but with a lot of games that have an uncapped performance mode we are seeing boost and better performance on ps5>

Microsofts only sale strategy is its Library of last gen games and how it plays them better so you would hope they got this right especially when they have a team dedicated to updating and optimizing games to make them work better. Games like Forza Horizon 4 got a lot of work done on them and you only have to look at the disappointing digital foundry right up to see how that this approach is not always netting them good results.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                Microsofts only sale strategy is its Library of last gen games and how it plays them better...
                Only strategy? Ok I get what you're saying but lets not pretend MS is only trying to give you backward compatibility... They are however clearly doing it much better than Sony what with auto HDR, all generations supported and a simpler route to enhancements so titles like COD Warzone, Rocket League and SW Squadrons can support up to 120fps pretty quickly.

They also patched a much bigger amount of titles for enhancements out of the gate, Halo MC collection being the latest to get 120fps support and field of view options etc... But at least this will hopefully force Sony to do better with their own back catalogue.

Personally I'll be buying PS5 to enjoy the PS4 catalogue first as there isn't really anything at launch which sells me on the system but I am a little disappointed they haven't gone the extra mile on unlocking the potential, yet at least.

Comment

Super Monkey Ball using the touchpad. SEGA make it happen!!!

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                    Personally I'll be buying PS5 to enjoy the PS4 catalogue first as there isn't really anything at launch which sells me on the system but I am a little disappointed they haven't gone the extra mile on unlocking the potential, yet at least.
                    It's bonkers to me that the biggest selling point of the two new consoles, at launch is "play your old games again, but at a higher framerate!"

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                      Only strategy? Ok I get what you're saying but lets not pretend MS is only trying to give you backward compatibility... They are however clearly doing it much better than Sony what with auto HDR, all generations supported and a simpler route to enhancements so titles like COD Warzone, Rocket League and SW Squadrons can support up to 120fps pretty quickly.

They also patched a much bigger amount of titles for enhancements out of the gate, Halo MC collection being the latest to get 120fps support and field of view options etc... But at least this will hopefully force Sony to do better with their own back catalogue.

It's a shame that the game they used to show off auto HDR had the draw distance of Silent Hill on the Playstaion 1, pop in and fog don't really make me think "wow look at the colour range" .

Relying on older games is an ok strat for year one but once the big release start pilling up Backwards compatibility becomes less and less important. Dont get me wrong I'm interested in games that are getting actual next gen updates like Destiny which is coming to both xbox and ps5 next month with improved fps better FOV options and improved textures and graphics. Games likes no mans sky as well that are more relaunches for next gen and give us a taste of what PC users have been getting.

Comment

To be fair to Sony though, they've actually got some generation exclusive stuff. Astrobot is short but great, and then there's Demon's Souls. Coming down the pike in relatively short order you've got Ratchet and Clank and GT7 too.

And there are some funky new features with the new pad and the screen sharing stuff with friends.

To be honest, it feels a lot more comprehensive than the PS4 launch. I ended up cancelling my preorder for that and didn't get one till 18 months in, when Witcher 3 released.

It wasn't backwards compatible with the previous gen like the PS5, but the software was all exactly the same as the PS3 for the first 18 months (except for a couple of immensely unappealing generation exclusives in the form of Killzone Shadowfall and Knack).
                        Last edited by wakka; 24-11-2020, 12:48.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                          It's bonkers to me that the biggest selling point of the two new consoles, at launch is "play your old games again, but at a higher framerate!"
                          For me it isn't really play my old games again when buying PS5 as I skipped the PS4 entirely, so from that stand point it is entirely new! That is part of the reason I would be disappointed if Sony didn't go back and "fix" their major exclusive titles to get the most out of them. Some of them still look great by todays standards that really they would stand up will with the enhancements.

[MENTION=960]Lebowski[/MENTION] As for auto HDR I currently don't have a TV capable of HDR but what I've seen running on friends TVs and general analysis online is that the feature works really well across 99% of titles and can be turned off anyway for games where it doesn't add much. As a feature I am pretty impressed with it to be fair.

Comment

It's very much a core gamer thing, I still don't believe that for the vast, vast majority much thought will weigh heavily on whether the new systems were backwards compatible or not. It's been a useful way of trying to distract from the abysmal launch day line ups though

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                              To be fair to Sony though, they've actually got some generation exclusive stuff. Astrobot is short but great, and then there's Demon's Souls. Coming down the pike in relatively short order you've got Ratchet and Clank and GT7 too.

And there are some funky new features with the new pad and the screen sharing stuff with friends.

To be honest, it feels a lot more comprehensive than the PS4 launch. I ended up cancelling my preorder for that and didn't get one till 18 months in, when Witcher 3 released.

It wasn't backwards compatible with the previous gen like the PS5, but the software was all exactly the same as the PS3 for the first 18 months (except for a couple of immensely unappealing generation exclusives in the form of Killzone Shadowfall and Knack).
                              God knack and killzone that was a bad launch i remember being impressed by killzone but it quickly turned to did anyone play this its awful, so it fell to black flag and battlefield to keep us amused.

I'm pretty happy with the ps5 launch line up, Demons souls, SpiderMan, Little big Planet, and Astro Bot have all been really well received and theirs lots coming in the new year. The ps4 classics library with God of War, Monster Hunter and a raft of other ps4 games is pretty nice little bonus too even if i have finished all this stuff so not a bad launch really.

Comment

There's very little PS5-only content though, especially when you compare to previous PlayStation launches.

Astro's Playroom
                                Demon's Souls
                                Destruction All Stars
                                Godfall

Are the only PS5-only content, but Demon's Souls is a remake and Astro's Playroom is a fun tutorial game.

Funny how at the last gen launch, they were both "NO BC FOR YOU!", but this time they all like "Wooo! Come check out those games again at a higher frame rate! The future is here!"

Comment

Working...
                                X