Playstation 5: Thread 03

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    There's very little PS5-only content though, especially when you compare to previous PlayStation launches.

Astro's Playroom
    Demon's Souls
    Destruction All Stars
    Godfall

Are the only PS5-only content, but Demon's Souls is a remake and Astro's Playroom is a fun tutorial game.

Funny how at the last gen launch, they were both "NO BC FOR YOU!", but this time they all like "Wooo! Come check out those games again at a higher frame rate! The future is here!"
    The PS2 and PS3 launch definitely had a lot more. But it was a different time, and honestly I kinda feel the days of launches that step us forward like that are gone forever.

Of the PS4 launch titles, only 3 are PS4 only, the rest are on PS3 and Xbox 360.

The 3 PS4-only games were: Killzone Shadowfall, Knack, and Resogun. Resogun was alright, I guess.

Now, putting aside Godfall, because it looks like a bad Chinese mobile game, and Destruction All Stars, which isn't even a launch game anyway because it isn't out yet, and you're left with Astro's Playroom and Demon's Souls.

That might only be two games - and one of them might only be about 3 hours long - but they're both genuinely excellent games, and I'd take them over the shoddy PS4 line-up any day.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
      For me it isn't really play my old games again when buying PS5 as I skipped the PS4 entirely, so from that stand point it is entirely new! That is part of the reason I would be disappointed if Sony didn't go back and "fix" their major exclusive titles to get the most out of them. Some of them still look great by todays standards that really they would stand up will with the enhancements.
      I know where you're coming from because I went from 360 to PS4, so everything seemed "new", but I'm sure you could have a relatively similar experience on a PS4 Pro and PS5 BC. Personally, it's not enough to justify the £450 expenditure!

I probably would have carried on with the 360, picking up bargains that were still fun to play, just not as shiny.
      It's only because at a certain point, developers moved away from the older platforms apart from Just Dance...

Don't get me wrong, I'm chuffed you new owners are having fun, it's not a dig at you, it's the sub-par launch and reliance on playing old games again.

If you upgraded from VHS to DVD, it was a bigger step as you needed to replace your film library.
      Going from DVD to Blu-Ray felt like less of a commitment, but also the promise of playing DVDs on a BR player makes you wonder why you're upgrading at all.

Comment

It's bonkers to me that the biggest selling point of the two new consoles, at launch is "play your old games again, but at a higher framerate!"
        Its not. PS5 actually has new games to play, people on here just seem to be ignoring the fact for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
          Of the PS4 launch titles, only 3 are PS4 only, the rest are on PS3 and Xbox 360.

The 3 PS4-only games were: Killzone Shadowfall, Knack, and Resogun. Resogun was alright, I guess.
          Yeah, on reflection, that really was poor too, AND you didn't have the BC offered by the PS5!

Now, putting aside Godfall, because it looks like a bad Chinese mobile game, and Destruction All Stars, which isn't even a launch game anyway because it isn't out yet, and you're left with Astro's Playroom and Demon's Souls.

That might only be two games - and one of them might only be about 3 hours long - but they're both genuinely excellent games, and I'd take them over the shoddy PS4 line-up any day.
          Like I say, glad you guys are having fun, but it really does feel like a lazy launch to me.

Comment

It's bonkers to me that the biggest selling point of the two new consoles, at launch is "play your old games again, but at a higher framerate!"
            Play your old games but without the sound of a jet engine under the telly ... that was a big factor for me in changing up my launch Pro.

Comment

[MENTION=10111]QualityChimp[/MENTION]

I get where you're coming from. We're not overflowing with new, PS5-exclusive stuff. The problem is, this is probably about as good as launches are gonna get from here on out.

Third parties are always going to go cross-gen, which will be easy enough because the power gulf between new and old machines is never going to again be as huge as it was between, say, the SNES and the N64.

And first parties will always want to spread their software out, instead of burning 5 games in one go on launch day and then having a 12 month drought.

I think a couple of good quality generation-exclusive titles from the platform holder is probably, unfortunately, the best we can hope for in future launches.

Comment

The PS2 and PS3 launch definitely had a lot more. But it was a different time, and honestly I kinda feel the days of launches that step us forward like that are gone forever.

ps5 got as launch

Dark souls (its a PSTHREEEE Game!!!! all the fan boys screamed)
                Spider man (Miles Molasses) as yum as it sounds its not a full game its a snack at 15 hours
                Little big planet (what another one)
                God Falls (over and smashes your mobile screen)
                Castro Playroom (Cuban cigars and Freedom)

Calling Astro bot a fun demo is a bit mean its supposed to be a few hours worth of platforming fun that shows off the new pads functions, At least they didn't try and flog a tech demo as a full game, I'm looking at you 1-2 switch

Comment

It's good that Sony have made clear some of the steady rate their own key titles will arrive in 2021. This is going still be Xbox's biggest issue in 2021 given we still don't even have a clear view of anything in 2021/2022.

I still haven't played through GT Sport yet though so mindful that GT7 needs to feel like a full sequel rather than an update.

Comment

I think the launch games have been pretty good considering!

I'm a total outsider. I want a console, but I can't get one.

Comment

There's very little PS5-only content though, especially when you compare to previous PlayStation launches.

Astro's Playroom
                      Demon's Souls
                      Destruction All Stars
                      Godfall

Are the only PS5-only content, but Demon's Souls is a remake and Astro's Playroom is a fun tutorial game.

Funny how at the last gen launch, they were both "NO BC FOR YOU!", but this time they all like "Wooo! Come check out those games again at a higher frame rate! The future is here!"
                      Totally agree!

Demons souls looks really nice, but I rinsed it upon Asian release and have no desire to return. I don’t do ‘playroom’ games and can’t stand anything marvel. Don’t know much about godfall, but it doesn’t seem to be causing earthquakes of excitement in the gaming world.

I think the xbox launch line is even grimmer though.

WTF have companies been doing for the last 2-3 years? Lol

Comment

I know where you're coming from because I went from 360 to PS4, so everything seemed "new", but I'm sure you could have a relatively similar experience on a PS4 Pro and PS5 BC. Personally, it's not enough to justify the £450 expenditure!

I probably would have carried on with the 360, picking up bargains that were still fun to play, just not as shiny.
                        It's only because at a certain point, developers moved away from the older platforms apart from Just Dance...

Don't get me wrong, I'm chuffed you new owners are having fun, it's not a dig at you, it's the sub-par launch and reliance on playing old games again.

If you upgraded from VHS to DVD, it was a bigger step as you needed to replace your film library.
                        Going from DVD to Blu-Ray felt like less of a commitment, but also the promise of playing DVDs on a BR player makes you wonder why you're upgrading at all.

Yeah I have almost bought a PS4 Pro several times over the past couple of years but always put it off, mainly because I was moving country, home and job etc... that sort of stuff got in the way. By the time I was in a position to potentially buy one the PS5 was almost out so I took a wait and see approach.

Equally I also really dislike the PS4 controller. I wouldn't say I hate it but definitely I find using it a struggle and so really that puts me leaning towards the PS5 and its' backward compatibility 100% over buying say a 2nd hand PS4 Pro. Plus we're talking about future titles as well, initially I am buying it to go back over the PS4 catalogue but equally I want to play GOW Ragnorak etc...

Even if Sony don't improve some key titles I want to play I'll still be getting a PS5 at some point but really I hope they do as it something that interests me personally.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                          I know, right?
                          You'd think companies would want to get a title out at launch because the attach rate is really high when there's little competition!

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                          Equally I also really dislike the PS4 controller. I wouldn't say I hate it but definitely I find using it a struggle and so really that puts me leaning towards the PS5 and its' backward compatibility 100% over buying say a 2nd hand PS4 Pro. Plus we're talking about future titles as well, initially I am buying it to go back over the PS4 catalogue but equally I want to play GOW Ragnorak etc...

Even if Sony don't improve some key titles I want to play I'll still be getting a PS5 at some point but really I hope they do as it something that interests me personally.
                          It really sounds like you're trying to talk yourself into buying one, whilst I'm trying to talk myself out of it!

By the time you've bought a PS4 Pro and played a handful of classics, the PS5 will be readily available and you could upgrade.

I'm not sure why you dislike the PS4 pad, but you can use an Xbox One controller or even download the PS4 Remote Play app to your PC and use a DualSense controller, if you're desperate!
                          There must be a third party pad that would be more comfortable to use?

Comment

I know, right?
                            You'd think companies would want to get a title out at launch because the attach rate is really high when there's little competition!

It really sounds like you're trying to talk yourself into buying one, whilst I'm trying to talk myself out of it!

By the time you've bought a PS4 Pro and played a handful of classics, the PS5 will be readily available and you could upgrade.

I'm not sure why you dislike the PS4 pad, but you can use an Xbox One controller or even download the PS4 Remote Play app to your PC and use a DualSense controller, if you're desperate!
                            There must be a third party pad that would be more comfortable to use?
                            Thing is their is some really well reviewed games at launch as well as all the third part offerings that The series x has. A call of Duty A new Assassins creed alongside the likes of Spiderman and Demons souls and Sack Boy, is a pretty good day one offering.

If you look back to last gen we had Nack and killzone two very poor first party games alongside a Battlefield and a Creed game, more recently the Nintendo's switch launch had a lot of indie stuff and a cross launch Zelda that came out on the wiiU with Nintendo's only other notable release being 7 tech demo for its joycon's.
                            Last edited by Lebowski; 24-11-2020, 15:56.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                              Totally agree!

Demons souls looks really nice, but I rinsed it upon Asian release and have no desire to return. I don’t do ‘playroom’ games and can’t stand anything marvel. Don’t know much about godfall, but it doesn’t seem to be causing earthquakes of excitement in the gaming world.

I think the xbox launch line is even grimmer though.

You mean wtf have Microsoft been doing for the last 2-3 years? Sony have been producing big hitters for the PS4 and PS5.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                                a cross launch Zelda that came out on the wiiU
                                I think that undersells the majesty of BotW a tad.

Comment

Working...
                                X