No announcement yet.

Playstation 5: Thread 03

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They're testing the waters. If you buy this stuff at full price now, expect it to become the norm. If you don't want to pay those prices in future, don't buy the games.

Comment

Originally posted by bcass View Post
      They're testing the waters. If you buy this stuff at full price now, expect it to become the norm. If you don't want to pay those prices in future, don't buy the games.
      I don't know - I think I would probably argue that if a game performs weakly, they'll be quicker to attribute it to that particular game rather than the new pricing. I think if the attach rate of a new IP like Returnal does diminish versus PS4 equivalents, I think it's more likely that we see more creative conservatism in first party software, than a reduced price.

If it happens with an established franchise entry like R&C or God of War, with a solid Metacritic 85+ under its belt, I think they'd take a harder look at the pricing side. But, honestly, I think the demand is going to be great enough for those titles that their sales won't be harmed by the price increase.

All this is not to say that I think the price increase is a good thing - I think it's far too steep. I also think that while those big franchise games are safe sales-wise, it will make buyers more cautious about trying new titles. And that's bad, because it means we get less of the new or reinvented stuff that's most interesting, and more conservative stuff that sticks to familiar templates.

Comment

I think Returnal will see ok day one sales but then a massive drop off, its risky as its a new IP and it sounds like it may be a bit of Marmite game as its supposed to be quite punishing like a bloodborne or a souls game. If sales are low i just hope Sony don't blame the dev as it sounds like they have delivered a cracking game based on the praise its been getting via reviews.

---edit posted same time as wakka with a similar opinion how bizare
        Last edited by Lebowski; 30-04-2021, 12:51.

Comment

Exactly... And whilst we can argue all day whether Returnal or R&C is worth £70 to you let's also remember that MLB The Show 21 is also £70 on Amazon right now...

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
            Exactly... And whilst we can argue all day whether Returnal or R&C is worth £70 to you let's also remember that MLB The Show 21 is also £70 on Amazon right now...
            Probably being really thick here, but what's the significance of MLB The Show 21 in particular?

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
              Probably being really thick here, but what's the significance of MLB The Show 21 in particular?
              It's one of the more recent 1st party titles they've put out that I'd argue £70 makes it overpriced. Mainly given that a) it's baseball b) it doesn't seem like a massive AAA title...

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
                Games shouldn’t be £70 nowadays regardless of quality, it’s pretty simple.
                Sony, MS and Nintendo are making more money than they ever have before from third parties and F2P titles, 30% of every transaction so there’s literally no reason consumers should brunt that additional cost.
                Of course there is. These companies need to grow in order to be considered successful. The easiest way of doing that is by increasing the price of your product when you know your audience will happily pay, especially during a drought.

If you have 500 of whatever currency just lying around to splash on a console at the back end of 2020, plus the commitment required to actually buy one in the first place, you can easily afford 70 for games.

They could/should be charging more.

Comment

Got Returnal for ~£43 (Norway), looking forward to playing a proper nextgen game tonight.

Comment

It's one of the more recent 1st party titles they've put out that I'd argue £70 makes it overpriced. Mainly given that a) it's baseball b) it doesn't seem like a massive AAA title...
                    Ah OK, I get you. Yeah, I know nothing about that game other than it's a very long running series and at a guess kind of the FIFA of baseball?

Genuinely not trying to be argumentative but again that to me looks like a pretty fair AAA full price title, much like other sports AAAs.

Personally I reckon it's more that £70 is just an uncomfortably high price per se, rather than individual games are at fault.

Still, will I pay it for stuff I want? Yep. Am I a hypocrite? Also yep.

EDIT: To add to this - we're basically in agreement...£70 is too high for any title, is the long and the short.
                    Last edited by wakka; 30-04-2021, 15:31.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                      Yearly iteration but the first time on PS I think? Either way, meh.

Comment

All these sports games are glorified DLC. Change the kits and move the players round, done.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                          All these sports games are glorified DLC. Change the kits and move the players round, done.
                          I agree... And I wasn't using that title because for the first time ever it's on Game Pass either. That is a completely separate discussion but it doesn't help the perception of £70 being above what most view as acceptable.

Comment

I remember seeing Turok: Dinosaur Hunter for £70 back on release, man, how the hell did a franchise spawn from that in 1996 prices?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                                In the words of the great Barry Burton... What iiiis this?

Comment

Working...
                                X