Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    A lot of the older games have been like this when I've gone back to them. As a kid, Knights of the Round was one of my favourite games, but as an adult, I've no idea what I saw in it; it's fine, competent, but it's hardly amazing.
    Obviously, I'm going to disagree with you here.

KOTR holds up against Final Fight and any other Capcom Belt Scroller you can name. The fact that it was the first scroller (as far as I'm aware) to introduce a parry/counter-attack mechanism is wholly significant in the context of belt scrollers.

The medieval/steampunk setting is pretty inspired too and very different from the Final Fight/Double Dragon ripoffs that were around in early 1990s coin-ops.
    Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 17-06-2022, 12:11.

Comment

Played this on GP via my mac browser and feel this is ace so far. A great amalgamation of the two arcade titles and then some added bells and whistles. Don't play a lot of videogames full stop at the mo and this one really grabbed me. Superior to Bare Knuckle 4 for me, but largely for thr nostalgia feels.
      3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Just played the first two stages tonight. It’s basic but I still really enjoyed it. It’s a real shame they didn’t include the option of a scan line filter as it would probably look amazing if they did. (Don’t think I missed it in the options?) Will look forward to playing through the rest when I get the chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
          Just played the first two stages tonight. It’s basic but I still really enjoyed it. It’s a real shame they didn’t include the option of a scan line filter as it would probably look amazing if they did. (Don’t think I missed it in the options?) Will look forward to playing through the rest when I get the chance.
          They didn't add the option. A strange omission considering it's all drawn on a 240px high grid. It'll look great if you can output it to a widescreen CRT somehow (Totally possible on the PC version at least. I think it's the old AMD gfx cards that can output at 240/15Hz).

To be honest the only game that ever got scanlines right was Sonic Mania (they did it proper with a slot mask!). Everything else, including every single one of those mini consoles, just add random horizontal lines which don't match the resolution, resulting in pixels being drawn over or cut through, and horrible banding across the overall picture.

Comment

Managed another few stages of this last night. Stage 3 was rubbish, but it got better, think I'm up yo six or seven now. Perfect for a quick drop in for 10-20 mins, which is about all I can manage on the weekends.

Comment

The more I play the more I enjoy. There's not huge depth to the combat, but it's not the fuller on button mash of the '89 arcade either. I keep noticing little level details here and there that bring a smile.

Only a couple of minor gripes for me so far.

Not being able to see what difficulty game you are joining through the lobby browser (arcade...might be different for story lobbies, not tried).

Story mode. I don't dislike the presentation, challenges, collectibles, character progression / handholding, but don't feel any add any value to the game.

Comment

Played a few missions of this with a mate. It's alright, kinda fun.

Streets of rage 4 is much better though

Comment

Working...
                X