Yakuza Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

?

You're not forced to turn the English voices on you know.

Comment

Thank god that's the case, but my point still stands. Why would anyone do it to themselves, the english voicework for yakuza is middling at best. I made the misfortune of trying it out of curiosity, none of the voices suited the characters at all. It would be like playing red dead redemption 2 and having all the voices dubbed in japanese, it breaks immersion & sounds stupid.

Sega would be better off using those resources elsewhere.

Comment

I don't see the need to get so affronted. I would only use Japanese language option but some people might just prefer a dub, or indeed struggle with reading subtitles and need it as an accessibility concession.

Comment

Because not everyone wants (or can) read a lot of text, and why should they? If people prefer English voice actors in the games they spend a lot of money on to maximise their enjoyment, that's entirely up to them.

The English soundtrack has been absolutely fine in previous Yakuza games - not everyone enjoys games the way you or I do, and I wouldn't force them to.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
            Thank god that's the case, but my point still stands. Why would anyone do it to themselves, the english voicework for yakuza is middling at best. I made the misfortune of trying it out of curiosity, none of the voices suited the characters at all. It would be like playing red dead redemption 2 and having all the voices dubbed in japanese, it breaks immersion & sounds stupid.

Sega would be better off using those resources elsewhere.
            I tend to use subs and I do prefer Kiryu's JP VA, but Like a Dragon's English VA was fantastic so it's not a given.

Comment

The non-optional English VA in Yakuza 1 was truly legendary. Shotteh de fock opp!!!

The Western cast's mangling of all the Japanese names was a particular highlight.

Comment

At least it had Mark Hamill as Majima.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                  At least it had Mark Hamill as Majima.
                  Did not know this, that’s brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                    Did not know this, that’s brilliant.
                    Yeah, and it's kinda a hard to notice if you don't know, he's abviously not as young as Luke Skywalker and despite the character he's playing, it's a very different performance from the Joker in the Batman animated series.
                    But then again, Hamill was always excellent as a voice actor, he covered a plethora of big and small roles each very different from each other.

Comment

Working...
                    X