No announcement yet.

Xbox Series S/X: Thread 05

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a cost saving exercise then, they obviously feel not enough people use the disk drive for it to be there, probably right with Xbox and gamepass now.

Comment

Matches the Sony diskdrive-less option too, that colour is a mistake hopefully thats just a dev unit and not the final colourway, l really like current Xbox colour the black monolith is a lot more slick looking than the current PS5, and it lends itself to special editions well (the halo series x is lovely) i can understand them wanting to make it look unique but white is wrong it discolours and gets grubby really easily.

I'm also quite surprised they haven't found a way to shrink the unit down a bit, the round design was never going to work well with consumers as how do you lay it flat without bringing in some sort of barrel stand type thing that would make it look like a keg, also a round design in shiny black plastic ends up looking like a waste paper bin.
      Last edited by Lebowski; 28-03-2024, 08:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
        Matches the Sony diskdrive-less option too, that colour is a mistake hopefully thats just a dev unit and not the final colourway, l really like current Xbox colour the black monolith is a lot more slick looking than the current PS5, and it lends itself to special editions well (the halo series x is lovely) i can understand them wanting to make it look unique but white is wrong it discolours and gets grubby really easily.

I'm also quite surprised they haven't found a way to shrink the unit down a bit, the round design was never going to work well with consumers as how do you lay it flat without bringing in some sort of barrel stand type thing that would make it look like a keg, also a round design in shiny black plastic ends up looking like a waste paper bin.
        Taking a disk drive out and closing the slot vs a complete re design are orders of magnitude in cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
          the round design was never going to work well with consumers as how do you lay it flat without bringing in some sort of barrel stand
          🤣🤣🤣

Those pictures don’t really add much that a simple description would have done: white series x without disc slot…

Comment

MS Reward for daily playing a game on PC with others has been needed out, 250pts per day gone. Not in a hyperbolic way but I've really scaled back hard on it in the last month or two and this one really won't help. I've gone from 29K points per month to 15K this month and this change will drive it hard down again

Comment

I don't see the point of that re-design. Even if it's cheaper you might as well buy the existing disc version second hand... unless you really want a white one.

Comment

Oof. That doesn't look good at all. Shades of other revisions that only existed to cut features, like the Gamecube-less Wii (not the Wii lunchbox, the one that came before in the same design but without GC compatibility or ports). Or that awful PSP E1000 which cheapened the build and eliminated WiFi.

If they can achieve a breakthrough price cut with it, that might be interesting though. Big if, though. Could be £50 off or something silly.

I actually thought the Amazon Alexa style design was okay. It wasn't going to win any awards but it was an interesting rethink and something that could easily fit into anyone's home decor. I think the main problem with it was Lebowski points out is that people generally lie console hardware flat under their TV, and it wouldn't be able to do that.

Comment

Why are leaked photos always so poor? Modern phones generally have decent cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                    Why are leaked photos always so poor? Modern phones generally have decent cameras.
                    Because people don't clean the lenses and are generally rubbish.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                      In this case it might be because they've already been compressed to go somewhere else (like into an FCC approval application or a slide deck or something), or they might be screengrabs from a video that's been heavily compressed? Just guesses.

It is weird that in 2024 the quality of leaked images of hardware doesn't seem to have improved from the 2000s, when we've had quantum leaps in phone camera quality, I agree!

Comment

This makes perfect sense. Xbox now owns Activision and has enough studios across them, first party and Bethesda to supplement game pass almost on their own.

They don't need to bank roll every single indie like they did before... they have Diablo IV dropping now and I'm sure plenty of the back catalogue is going to drop before June comes around.

That isn't to say that won't still make deals, and there's still a few strong titles coming through the id@xbox program as well.

Comment

Patch Notes 3.11.15: Hello again, Killers! Today’s update only has a few gameplay tuning changes, as the team is very happy with how the new game balance is shaking out. We’ve made some adjustments to…

Killer Instinct gets an update

Comment

Been a bit quiet on the Xbox front?

Megaton!

Meet the newly announced Nocturnal Vapour controller

Comment

They just know what we crave for!

Comment

Working...
                              X