Xbox Series S/X: Thread 05

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

As of late it seems that the Xbox department at Microsoft is being ragdolled around by social
      media like a police dog training dummy. I’m not sure how they swim back out of this whirlpool.

Comment

Only because people continue to use Twitter as a source of news. It was never a reliable source of news and its reliability continues to follow an inverse square in relation to time.

Comment

Maybe, just maybe, its just someone saying whatever to get clicks for add revenue?

Comment

Whatever the case the next Xbox showcase is just around the corner (June 9th) so not long to wait for official news.

Until then I'm just mildly amused at how badly the media likes to whip up a frenzy with this sort of crap.

Comment

Normally I'd probably agree but MS has made this scenario for themselves and it's unlikely to stop because they refuse to properly tackle it. Most likely because it seems abundantly clear that this is the direction they're headed in, it's more the timeline that's in question

Comment

Arkane Austin, Alpha Dog and Tango Gameworks have just been shuttered by Bethesda and MS.

Comment

Absolute ****ing dog **** of the highest ****ting order, this industry is so very broken.

Comment

My guess? This is a very sharp, clear crack across the face of anyone still harbouring any notions that Xbox isn't going third party. They've spent billions buying up studios and now it's clear that the shift is moving hard to shutting down anything that doesn't make that money back.

Activision by and large takes care of itself and little needs little changing given it's already multi-format and profitable, I fully expect that Spencer isn't making the calls anymore and that Nadalla wants the money pitting to stop and for Xbox Studios and Bethesda to become closer to the model Activitision operates under. That means smaller studios and teams will get shuttered if they aren't producing hits and staff will either be let go or moved to support posts for bigger titles. 100% for Bethesda that will mean MS not accepting Elder Scrolls or Fallout games taking 10-15 years to release a new entry anymore.

Arkane Lyon will survive by virtue of Dishonored. Hi Fi Rush was well recieved but the Game Pass dead launch will have slaughtered its ability to make money and presumably the PS5 launch hasn't moved the needle, beyond that - I'm gonna say it - Tango Gameworks was never very good and clearly couldn't do the type of AAA MS will want.

They'll have Acti as a COD machine, Bethesda as an Elders Scroll, Doom, Quake, Fallout, Starfield, Wolfenstein machine and Xbox Studios as a Forza Horizon, Halo etc factory. I expect that we'll hear of cancelled projects soon, time for projects like Perfect Dark, Everwild etc to put up or be put down. I suspect time is limited for studios like Double Fine too who also don't fit the criteria cited by the studio closures today.

Ninja Theory... depends what they have lined up next as I think Hellblade II will sink money like a stone but given the studios history they should be able to adjust easily. Forza Motorsport 9 may need to prove it still holds relevance and Rare should think incredibly hard about its future.

Fact is, the kind of profit focused business making that Activision or frankly any non-MS company operates by is just incompatible with the way Xbox has been making decisions for the last decade. I think it's becoming very safe to predict that it's a case of when Day One launches of Xbox titles on Game Pass ends too rather than if.

Fully expecting 2025 to be a brutal year for Xbox studios

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                      https://www.eurogamer.net/xbox-shuts...ush-developers
                      Arkane Austin, Alpha Dog and Tango Gameworks have just been shuttered by Bethesda and MS.
                      That sucks... Tango made Evil Within and Hi-Fi Rush. Arkane made Prey (which is amazing). Both great studios

Seriously do not understand the logic behind this at all.

Comment

Playing some Fallout 4 with the new updates. A good time to tidy up those uncompleted missions. Only this time I see there's some good old added Bethesda jank.
                        What on earth are these? They certainly aren't replacing other objects. I even had one guy's weapon shooting these things out at me.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post

That sucks... Tango made Evil Within and Hi-Fi Rush. Arkane made Prey (which is amazing). Both great studios

Seriously do not understand the logic behind this at all.
                          This isn’t the Arkane main studio that made Dishonoured & Deathloop though i believe?

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post

This isn’t the Arkane main studio that made Dishonoured & Deathloop though i believe?
                            No it's Arkane Austin that made Redfall, but they also made Prey, which is a masterpiece.

Comment

Arkane Lyon boss leads widespread condemnation of Bethesda closures | Eurogamer.net

Comment

Leaked photo of an MS exec mulling over the decision to put profit over Tango Gameworks

"... Tango & Cash... Tango & Cash... Tango & Cash..."

Comment

Working...
                                X