This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edge = GamesTM ?

Apologies for the sensationalistic thread title, but it seemed to sum up the direction these two magazines are headed in. Is it just me, or since GamesTM came out, has Edge been subtly changing its format, borrowing some of the better (or more successful) elements from its new competitor?

Viz the extended Retro sections, focusing on a collectible hardware format from the past... introduced GamesTM issue one surely? Yes, admittedly Edge's Retro series was there as well, but that was a magazine special, not a regular section of the issue.
    Also, the "retro review" section, introduced in Edge around the same time as GamesTM's "classic game review" section. Or the pages full of screenshots (see every issue of GamesTM, and now Edge's awards page).
    And it goes the other way too, with Steven Poole getting a few column inches in the latest GamesTM issue, and of course the numerous design and stylistic nods which Paragon Publishing surely borrowed from Edge when initially launching their title. Similarly, the initial features line-up of GamesTM was far more mainstream (it was all "Console Wars: which of the 3 is the best" and "Sex & Violence in Videogames") before fortunately taking a turn for the (Edgier?) better.

Mind you, I'm not complaining about this - I like both titles, and neither has outright plagiarised the other. It's just interesting to see how much they influence each other... Or am I imagining things? Has anyone else noticed this, or am I seeing similarities where there are none?

shame games tm is ****e then really isn't it.

Comment

I don't think it is "****e" its not bad. Remember how "****e" edge was on its first outing?!

Comment

Originally posted by NeilMcRae
        I don't think it is "****e" its not bad. Remember how "****e" edge was on its first outing?!
        i've never thought Edge was anything less than average, certainly not ****e. Games TM will soon understand there isn't room for another multiformat mag in the vein of Edge, certainly not a sub-standard one. it will go the way of Arcade et al. see if i'm wrong.

Comment

i haven't seen GamesTM around, is it in the shops?

Comment

Why do you think its '****e'? For a mag only 4 issues old I reckon its already had several interesting articles amd its reviews seem pretty decent.

The only thing I really dislike is the cluttered feel of some of the layout.

Comment

it's trying to hard to out Edge Edge - i find too much of the writing sensationalist, the piece dissing Mario 64 for example. amateurs.

Comment

Games (tm) won the best editorial team award at last weeks MCV industry awards. The other finalists were... EDGE, PC Zone, Oficial X-Box, PSW, OPSM2.

Not a bad start.

Comment

I can see why it might come across as trying to out-Edge Edge but I find it has quite a different more tongue in cheek tone.

Personally I hope there is sufficient interest for both mags to coexist. Its been a while since I've enjoyed reading 2 videogame mags a month.

Comment

Yes I quite like GamesTM as well. Edge has become a bit stale recently and hopefully the competition will do both magazines good.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowser
                      Viz the extended Retro sections, focusing on a collectible hardware format from the past... introduced GamesTM issue one surely? Yes, admittedly Edge's Retro series was there as well, but that was a magazine special, not a regular section of the issue.
                      The neo-geo feature (first in the collectors series) featured in edge before the debut of Games TM. Bearing in mind that features have to be written and completed at least 1 month before Edge hits the shelves, to suggest that games TM influenced the introduction of this feature is lauughable. Its hardly a similar format to games TM's carpet bombing of the years approach. But I'm not the best person to comment.

Comment

Edge hasn't ripped-off GamesTM, it's ripped-off all the magazines GamesTM has ripped-off

Also GamesTM likes to take a dig at Edge every issue. In the latest issue they throw in the phrase Soulless Edge on p45. They need to understand that they are in competition with the likes of Gamesmaster rather than Edge.

Comment

Its always interesting to see these edge Vs gamesTM threads.

As for gamesTM being ****e I think that's a bit harsh (I wouldn't write for it if that was the case). Comparisons to Edge are bound to crop up but I feel there's more than enough room in the market for both mags.

Comment

Originally posted by MIK
                            Games (tm) won the best editorial team award at last weeks MCV industry awards. The other finalists were... EDGE, PC Zone, Oficial X-Box, PSW, OPSM2.

Not a bad start.
                            Yup, not a bad start indeed

Comment

Originally posted by Strider
                              Yup, not a bad start indeed
                              Indeed. Though I find it somewhat strange that they can be given a 'best editorial team' award after just 4 issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X