Essential dreamcast games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Essential dreamcast games

Decided to make the Dreamcast my machine of choice for collecting, I've currently got the following coming.

Wetrix
    Dynamite Cop
    Sonic Adventure
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Skies of Arcadia
    Space Channel 5
    Virtua Fighter 3
    Tomb Raider Last Revelation
    Virtua Tennis 2
    Sydney 200
    Metropolis Street Racer
    Re-Volt
    Rainbow Six
    Ecco the dolphin
    Wacky Races
    Virtua Striker 2
    Daytona USA
    ready to rumble 2
    dead or alive 2
    f355 challange passion rossa
    giant killers football game
    soul calibur
    sega gt
    crazy taxi

Now I know there's some crap there but I got it all for 13o quid (including 2 machines 4 pads vmus etc)

What I want to know is the essentials I need to get (regardless of pricing)

Seaman is a nice oddity.

There's a bunch of great 2D fighters too - Marvel vs. Capcom, Capcom vs. SNK etc.

MDK 2 is terrific. But rock hard.

Sega Bass Fishing with the official rod is a good Sunday afternoon game.

Might want to pick yourself up an arcade stick too.

I'm sure more will come to me but my mind seems to have gone blank. Such a great console....

Comment

Check my sales for all the essential DC games

Seriously, you should get Virtua Tennis 1, in my opinion it is better than number 2 and plays considerably differently.

Pretty much all the Street Fighter games on the console.

Shenmue 1 and 2. 2 of the best games ever made, imo.

Comment

Rez is often raved about, but you may have to pay around ?40.

The Shenmues are also supposed to be good, but again it'll cost you a bit, and the second is on the Xbox now.

Comment

Originally posted by lordcookie
          Shenmue 1 and 2. 2 of the best games ever made, imo.
          Yep, agree with that.

Also Jet Set Radio is a must have.

Comment

As a more contemporary choice, you may also opt for Ikaruga.

Comment

Originally posted by Ish
              Seaman is a nice oddity.
              Indeed. Seaman is freakishly both brilliant and disturbing, when the voice recognition works okay.

Comment

Originally posted by olly
                I was quite disappointed with the game. It isn't a patch on Radiant Silvergun or other shmups like Psyvariar. Its not a bad game, I just wouldnt say essential.

Comment

Seriously, you should get Virtua Tennis 1, in my opinion it is better than number 2 and plays considerably differently.
                  Interesting you think that because I`m pretty handy at both (if I do say so myself) but found after sometime, VT1 lacked depth. VT2 has more scope for better, more interesting and more dynamic rallies (I play against sick Tokyo players on this game often).

Some more games...

though none are totally essential IMO, they are very good games...

Twinkle Star Sprites
                  Mars Matrix
                  GigaWing 2
                  Gunspike

Comment

Originally posted by olly
                    I was quite disappointed with the game. It isn't a patch on Radiant Silvergun or other shmups like Psyvariar. Its not a bad game, I just wouldnt say essential.
                    Again i agree with lordcookie. Ikaruga doesn't come close to touching Psyvariar's greatness.

Comment

Originally posted by Tokuda
                      Interesting you think that because I`m pretty handy at both (if I do say so myself) but found after sometime, VT1 lacked depth. VT2 has more scope for better, more interesting and more dynamic rallies (I play against sick Tokyo players on this game often).
                      You are right, that VT2 does have more depth, but I find the actual tennis to be duller than in VT1. The speed seems to be reduced and the rallies are less frantic. Obviously VT2 is probably the more realistic, but for fun stakes you cant beat VT1. I also think that VT2 in multiplayer doesn't work as well, but this could be due to the added depth and the fact that the people I play against are not used to it.

Comment

There are some nice shooters like Rez, Ikaruga, Bangai-O and Mars Matrix.

And there are lots of good Neo-Geo ports like Kof 98, 99, 2001, 2002, Last Blade 2, Mark of Wolves. Probably more to come like SNK vs Capcom.

Other 2d fighters like Street Fighter 3, SF Alpha 3, Capcom vs SNK 2, Marvel vs Capcom 2.

There are fun party fighters like Powerstone 1, 2 and Ooga Booga.

Any of the 2k/2k1 sports games by Visual Concepts are fantastic.

I found the Shenmue games the most utterly dull things I've ever played so I can't recommend them.

Comment

Yeah I forgot to mention the sublime Jet Set Radio- and I know others already beat me to it.

Probably in my top 3 of all time that game- for me, that and Soul Calibur are the two most essential games on the DC.

Comment

And if rythm action is your thing, Sambo de Amigo might be worth a try.

Comment

While hard to get Samba is always a favourite

Comment

Working...
                              X