Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT employment

or lack thereof.

Joking aside, I'm sick of what I'm doing here and need to do something about it. I refuse to be dictated where I'm going to live and science positions are thin on the ground. I'm not getting any younger, either.

Serious suggestions for getting into something IT related? I know it doesn't pay the earth, but I don't mind building, stripping and sorting PCs all day, I find it quite relaxing. Maybe programming or server support, what's the best route into those areas?

I'm not dull, I've got a good degree and a tump of PC experience, just nothing on paper with the words MS or Cisco stamped on it. See, I've had accronyms like MCSE and CCNA bandied my way, but I don't want to spend a week's wages on a set of books for an exam I've no idea if I'll pass or lead to a job anyway.

Suggestions welcomed.

Council mate - there's literally hundreds of jobs. My Council has 5 IT units with roughly 200-300 staff each.

I wouldn't touch any of the Microsoft Curriculum things. They're useful for some, but IMO aren't worth the money.

Also, consider moving. I've had to accept that there's no way that I'll be able to do what I want to do where I currently live, so I've got to keep an open mind and take anything, no matter where it is.

Comment

I've been applying for council positions left and right, I don't even get short listed. No direct IT experience and no professional qualifications don't help in this respect.

I could have kept my previous science job if I wanted to move.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Salter
        I wouldn't touch any of the Microsoft Curriculum things. They're useful for some, but IMO aren't worth the money.
        Any reason you feel that way in particular mate? Only ive just started one and if MS certified qualifications aint worth **** to a prospective employer I cant see why im bothering.

Comment

They are worth **** to some - but not that many. Hands-on experience prevails, unfortunately. It's just proving that you have experience that is the problem...

Comment

well, im hoping to add an MCSE to 3 years (by then) experience. I figured it would just back up the experience a bit

Comment

I wonder, then, how anyone new enters the field of IT. Are the only ones getting new jobs these days those who have been farmed out during an Comp Sci degree?

Still looking for suggestions as, frankly, I can do **** all else.

Comment

I got into my job by pure luck...I think it's very much a case of knowing the right people at the right time in the right place.

Imagine being an employer and trying to gauge someone's technical knowledge from an application form and a 15 minute interview - it's very hard, so they tend to go with people who they have heard of, or are introduced on behalf of a friend...

IT sucks, I want out already :\

Comment

MCSE's aren't worth the paper they're not printed on, any goofer can get them, and most of them have. If you want qualifications get something abstract, like an IBM, CISCO or something other than MCSE, all you need is the proof you can do computery stuff.

Stu, as for IT jobs its a flooded market full of morons with spurs and 10 gallon hats. That's the biggest problem with this industry, anyone who has a computer thinks they can do it.

So, look for a small company that just needs a "computer dude", depends on your fanacial requirements I guess.

Comment

My mate got a summer job from Uni in IT fixing broken computers and he was recommened by his dad, I would say just mention it to everyone you talk too. You are not going to defo get a job but having friends in high places helps loads like Tom says.

Sorry if you are already doing that though

Comment

Originally posted by Super Stu
                      I know it doesn't pay the earth, but I don't mind building, stripping and sorting PCs all day, I find it quite relaxing. Maybe programming or server support, what's the best route into those areas?

I'm not dull, I've got a good degree and a tump of PC experience, just nothing on paper with the words MS or Cisco stamped on it. See, I've had accronyms like MCSE and CCNA bandied my way, but I don't want to spend a week's wages on a set of books for an exam I've no idea if I'll pass or lead to a job anyway.

Suggestions welcomed.
                      Stu- You are FAR, FAR too intelligent to do things like building, stripping, and sorting PCs all day. Server support I would personally find dull as dish water and I still dont think you would be stretched enough. Programming would be good, particularly with your educational background.

So, before I start, you would not consider relocating, even if you got paid a lot more?

Comment

Degree's, MCSE's etc arnt worth anything, if anything they quite detremental (sp?) as most peeps think your that tit that jumped on the bandwagon recently.

I had to train a IT Science degree student when i was 16, nothing better than training peeps who demand nearly twice what i was on because of a degree.

I got into I.T at the age of 15, and was mostly employed due to the fact that i was a cheap techie. Paying someone ?200 a month for fixing your network and dos apps must be quite nice. Although when i was 16 they did pay me 10k a year which seemed alot at the time.

I have no qualifications now but 7/8 years experience. But 2bh avoid I.T, every one hates you. Everyone who has turned on a PC CAN do your job so im told, or they all ask you to fix there PC or how to(yes i do nothing but fix peoples PC's all the time, its what i was made for )

Although i will stay in I.T im looking at projects to lessen my dealings with it on a dialy basis.

And believe it or not for building PC's (dont do it, im guessing its boring) its mostly done by women, as there apparantly more careful
                        Last edited by Pij; 01-09-2004, 15:22.

Comment

I've been a web designer for 7 years now. I have nil qualifications only 7 years industry experience from leaving school at 16.

Can I get a job in a city? Can I ****. Big city firms look at my portfolio filled with work for 'REAL' companies such as engineering firms, local councils, even Premiership football clubs and just laugh!

I've worked for myself for the past 14 months now and it's a real pain in the arse, you never get paid, you have people telling you how to do your job, it's a ****ing ****e state of affairs.

I'm getting out of it as soon as, I have a job lined up at the local Warburtons factory baking bread for 12hours a day, 4 days on, 4 days off. ?9 an hour. I'm serious about it, if I never return to a PC to earn a living again I'll be a happy man.
                          Last edited by dataDave; 01-09-2004, 15:28.

Comment

as for IT jobs its a flooded market full of morons with spurs and 10 gallon hats. That's the biggest problem with this industry, anyone who has a computer thinks they can do it.
                            a guy i dealt with at a company called pipemedia summed it up for me

"You wont let just anyone operate on you, but you will let any old chimp with a PC look after your network and kit"

Comment

If you really want to work in IT, get your foot in the door somehow and then just aim to keep studying and moving on up with each job/contract you take. The MCSE is nothing like it used to be 8 years ago or so - now its seen as a minimum qualification but its unlikely you'll get any decent positions without experience. And the support area of the industry is swamped with people looking for this sort of work which in turn has driven the rates down. Things like Cisco are good quals, but they're much harder to get without hands-on experience and aren't much use without experience to back them up.

I went the route that I know a few other guys have done and its worked out well
                              - building PCs --> desktop support --> server support --> networks --> technical project management

At the end of the day there will always be jobs out there for good IT people, but you do have to put the work in if you want to keep moving up in the industry. Unless you can find a good permie job obviously.

Comment

Working...
                              X