No announcement yet.

IT employment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, it depends what you want to do. Programming jobs IMO are far easier to get than technical ones. Sad thing is that there's never many programming jobs around

It's easier to prove you are a good programmer than you are a good sysadmin.

Comment

Its depressing knowing that Stu is so knowlegeable about all things PC and cant get a look in, yet around me at work I see people who really have no clue about PCs at all yet are in these positions.

You could consider either relocating or commuting into London for a while to build up a portfolio, contractors I know come down from newcastle to work here during the week and leave to go back on Friday night. Id ask around myself but to work where I do you would need security clearance (SC), Ill see if theres anything on our non-secure sites though saying that.

Comment

Originally posted by ascender
        If you really want to work in IT, get your foot in the door somehow and then just aim to keep studying and moving on up with each job/contract you take.
        Moving up? I'm a temporary admin. I can't move up, or sideways, I can only head down to the dole queue. Studying what? That's why I asked which of the qualifications it's worth doing.

The resounding opinion here is: the qualifcations are wank, get experience instead. Of course, this comes back to a point I made about this terribly ****ing cliquey industry some time ago, that is how do you get the experience in the first place? No one will take you on if you're not experienced, and apparently they won't take you on with quals alone.

I can't afford to move away, even if I wanted to. I can't afford to be where I am, the debt slowly mounts (admin pays really well, as you can imagine).

Nothing like a confidence booster, eh lads.

Thanks anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by marcus
          Its depressing knowing that Stu is so knowlegeable about all things PC and cant get a look in, yet around me at work I see people who really have no clue about PCs at all yet are in these positions.

You could consider either relocating or commuting into London for a while to build up a portfolio, contractors I know come down from newcastle to work here during the week and leave to go back on Friday night. Id ask around myself but to work where I do you would need security clearance (SC), Ill see if theres anything on our non-secure sites though saying that.
          Are you a civil servant marcus?

Just i've noticed, for whatever reason, a lot of people in Newcastle tend to work away down in London, doing various jobs. Met some guy at Stanstead who was working for the government, doing whatever it was....said it was good pay, and good work

Comment

Stu is there not a trial position at where you work, where they could give you a try.

also although most wont give you a job, there are companys that will give you a try, the place i used to work at gave a 31 year old a try and he hadnt got any experience. It will take longer but somewhere will offer you a job at some point.

I would recommend learning things like Linux, SQL etc in your personal time, from experience if someone seems willing to learn the ropes they have a foot in the door.

Ive always said at work that if we employ another support guy then its best to go for a 16 year old who wants to learn rather than someone who thinks they know it all.

Comment

Originally posted by JibberX
              MCSE's aren't worth the paper they're not printed on.
              Aye, cheers mate. I feel uber motivated now.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, however that's not going to happen in the NSPCC. They're cutting back on highly qualified IT support personnel as it is.

Not quite sure how I'll go about trialling, every day I'm not in work I don't get paid, I can't afford to do that for long.

I don't claim to know it all, and I'm happy to prove my knowledge base and expand on it to requirement, however no one is willing to do it.

I get the impression I'd be more employable if I said I was shipwrecked for 4 years, rather than stating I have a degree.

Comment

you work for the NSPCC? can you do what these other techies can do? If so or even if you can only do a bit, then why not try and pickup part of there job while doing yours.

Atleast if you do that for a year or so you can say you have some experience.

Comment

If I was looking for a PC support type guy and I saw 'Graduate' on the CV, it would go in the bin. Why?
                    Why would a highly skilled (academic ) under sell themselves so much?

I'm a Development Centre Manager, paying guys from ?325 a day through to ?1200 a day. Being a graduate means jack to me, it's a good indicator in the younger guys that they have the ability/drive to work/learn. The skillset is the most important, followed by the work pattern (duration, number, gaps, repeat contracts etc).

Have you thought about Project Management. believe me we've got some right chumps here on ?900 a day (yes you did read that right). Useless, no method, no people skills, no clue. (Not that I'm saying you're like this, but I'm amazed how poor these guys are). Prince 2 accreditation is a piece of piss, costs about ?2000 though.

Business Analysts are a good gig, if you have the basics of process analysis and requirements management you are laughing. Firms like QA can fit you up with a set of courses that would set you right here, again a few ???? though.

Let me know if you want any more info.

Comment

No chance of learning on the job Ion, the IT guy only comes round once in a blue moon. Every time he's been round I could have solved the problem but didn't have the administrator access to the machine to do it.

He has years of regional desktop support experience though, I have dick.

Dirty, haven't considered either of the above, careers advice to graduates seems pretty pish tbh. Haven't got that sort of cash though, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Stu
                        He has years of regional desktop support experience though, I have dick.
                        Well look on the bright side. At least you have dick, thats surely a damn sight better than having no dick?

Comment

Any step in the door is worth taking.

Try a helpdesk position in a large London law/financial firm, and work your way up.

PS. MCSE = Waste of time. We always bin CV's full of MCSE's....

The exams just don't reflect the real world, as to get Msoft to work, you always have to bend the rules.

We prefer to set our own paper for the interview.

/C_S

Comment

Ah, that I lived in London (although never would). Thanks, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarkster
                              Aye, cheers mate. I feel uber motivated now.
                              Unfortunately he's right. I regularly interview for C# / .net positions (as in I do interviews rather than apply) and its something I wholly gloss over. It might have been worth something if it actually meant something. Unfortunately its easy to pass and this has devalued it immensely. I know people with it who can't develop for toffee yet got great results.

Comment

Originally posted by capcom_suicide
                                Any step in the door is worth taking.

Try a helpdesk position in a large London law/financial firm, and work your way up.

PS. MCSE = Waste of time. We always bin CV's full of MCSE's....

The exams just don't reflect the real world, as to get Msoft to work, you always have to bend the rules.

We prefer to set our own paper for the interview.

/C_S
                                Cant quite see the logic there. surely a little experience + MCSE = teh win?

youve learnt it legit from MS, then worked out how to get around all the gaping holes in the stuff theyve taught you?

Comment

Working...
                                X