Networking computers for shared internet connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Networking computers for shared internet connection

right, i am wanting to connect my computer in my room to the family computer downstairs so they can share my broadband connection. the computer im using at the moment in my room is a laptop and has a built in network card and i will be using this as the main computer from which the computer downstairs will be connecting to the internet from.

i dont know much about this and would like some advice on what stuff to buy to get this up and running. ive looked at wireless stuff and its a bit too pricey so looking to connect by a cable.

what cards do i buy? and what cable do i buy to connect the computers together?

if theres anything else i need to know then please let me know as i need some help with this.

cheers guys

TBH best bet is to buy a router for around ?50. That way the PC can get on the network without the laptop being about.

The cheapest way would be to buy a cross over cat5 cable to link the PC and Laptop (i'm assuming the PC has a network card). Then use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing - Google it you'll find many guides!) to setup the internet.

www.cableuniverse.co.uk will be to able supply the cable price range ?3-10 dependent on the length.
    Network cards you can get for less than ?10 Tbh you don't need to get high spec/Speed for ICS.
    Last edited by Ginger Tosser; 10-08-2005, 19:54.

Comment

cheers bud, ill probably go the cable route for the moment as cash is a bit thin on the ground and it seems simple enough, just connect the two comupters together and run the ics

thanks again

Comment

I have a similar setup but connected via wireless cards. Cost me around 26 quid in total.

Comment

what do you need to buy for a setup like yours monkey ??

Comment

just done the same using a celeron 566, two free PCI NIC's, and slackware 10.1 / iptables

works a treat, plug into a hub and you're off, firewall/portmapping included

(hard to setup though, I wept sometimes)

Comment

Wireless PCI card for the desktop and a wireless PCMCIA.

Comment

I got a 4 port ADSL modem/router off ebay for ?20. The modem route is definitely your best option as you either computer will be able to connect to the internet independently.

You'll still need the network cable though so it's a bit more expensive.

Comment

Hi can i go online with ps2 with just a network card, connected with a crossover cable into my ps2?

my modem, is bt business broadband, usb adsl frog modem

please help

cheers chris

Comment

In theory yes, I believe so.

Comment

great well i will buy one today and see what happens, where abouts in cornwall are you? i live near penzance

Comment

hi i have bougth a net gear, network card and intalled, it, how do i se it up from now on ? to get the ps2 online? do i need to set up conenction sharing ect?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by yesteryeargames
                          hi i have bougth a net gear, network card and intalled, it, how do i se it up from now on ? to get the ps2 online? do i need to set up conenction sharing ect?

thanks
                          Go to control panel, then network connections> right click your broadband connection and choose properties> click the advanced tab along the top ? then tick the box that says about sharing your connection with other computers

Comment

Hello i tried that and ive had no luck,

im on windows 98, and it doesnt haver all of these options, does anyone know how to do thsi on win 98? thanks for your help

Comment

Is it 2nd Edition 98, because (i might be wrong though) i didn't think it was available on the first edition of Windows98 version (again i could be wrong).

Comment

Working...
                              X