No announcement yet.

Networking computers for shared internet connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi guys got a problem with the wirless router i just bought, its a D-link DI 784

Cant get the router to work, ive tried following the instructions you get with it and no luck, your supossed to connect to a website with the ip address of "192.168.0.1" but that just doent work, any idea guys, i will be uisng a wirless usb adator to connect the other computer up so wont be using any cables.

any ideas ? ?

im using XP on both computers as well

Mark
    Last edited by Margoos; 13-11-2005, 10:58.

Comment

It's unlikely to work wirelessly out of the box. Connect it to your PC with a cable to set it up.

Set your PC NIC to

IP address 192.168.0.2
      Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
      Default Gateway 192.168.0.1

DNS 192.168.0.1

Then launch a browser and type 192.168.0.1 in to the address bar.

You can also set the router up via USB but you have to install the drivers etc.

Comment

Sorry if this sounds stupid but what is NIC?? and how do i set up the subnet mask and defualt gateway?
        Last edited by Margoos; 14-11-2005, 07:51.

Comment

Network Interface Card.

Comment

I dont think i have Network Interface card in my PC, i have the modem pluged in to the pc the Router pluged in to the ethernet port on my pc and the modem going to the phone line as well, can anybody help on this ??? as i really am cluless when it comes to networking

also the router didnt come with any drivers, i apparently have to load up the 192.168.0.1 page to configure the router but it wont load up
            Last edited by Margoos; 14-11-2005, 19:59.

Comment

Your Ethernet port is a NIC, can be onboard or a card.

What broadband do you have? Cable or Adsl

The reason i ask is this router is for cable.
              Last edited by Ginger Tosser; 14-11-2005, 23:55.

Comment

I have Tiscali Braodband, my uncle has the same router and Broadband service and his is working on his, just cant understand why it wont work on mine

its ADSL as well
                Last edited by Margoos; 15-11-2005, 14:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Margoos
                  I dont think i have Network Interface card in my PC, i have the modem pluged in to the pc the Router pluged in to the ethernet port on my pc
                  Modem goes to the router, then router to the PC - fully wired to start with. Cable from modem goes to the WAN port on the back of the router. Then run an ethernet cable from one of the 4 ports on your router to the PC's NIC.

If you messed around with your network settings in Windows (assuming Windows) you'll need to set to as automatically obtain IP address (the router uses DHCP unless you change it).

Then log in to the router through your browser - http:\\192.168.0.1 is correct. Login with "admin" and leave the password blank (these are the defaults from memory - you are prompted to change during the setup wizard). Run the setup wizard to set up your wireless network.

Comment

I have no way of connecting my modem to my phonline and to my router, is there a modem i can get that will allow me to do this??

i have the Green Stingray one that i got with my first Braodband package like 3 years ago. and it onlyallows me to connect it to a usb port and a RJ11 cable to the phone line i have in my room.

Comment

You need a new modem tbh. You can either go for a modem to connect to that router you've got (something like this) or you can go for an all in one solution like this.

Comment

I think i might just return the router and buy the all in one modem and router, or if anyone can reccomend me a decent router without having to change modem then that would be great too.

Comment

This one seems popular, i don't have it myself though.

Comment

Routers off stright back, Gonna buy that one you posted up ginger plus you get a free wirless adpator with it too

will this also let me connect consoles to the router as well so i can go line with them??

Comment

yes if it has hardwired connections on it (rj45) for ethernet patch leads

Comment

Working...
                              X