Dreamcast VGA on a TFT monitor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dreamcast VGA on a TFT monitor?

Is it worth buying a Dreamcast VGA cable for use on a TFT, or is the picture quality terrible?

i've got my dreamcast on my TFT and IMO the picture is amazing, it just looks so right.
    ikaruga in tate mode is stunning.
    not sure what box mine is but i got it for ?9 off this forum

Comment

:/
      Last edited by Moogle; 01-05-2006, 17:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Moogle
        It'll look terrible as the native resolution of the TFT will be higher than the 640x480 output from the VGA box, giving you a nasty interpolated picture.

Just to test, try turning down your resolution on your PC to 640x480 and see how pants it looks.
        mine doesn't.

here is a pic of ikaruga, poor Q as it's taken with my phone(the right side is lighter as my phone light was on)-

Comment

Could you post a pic of the VGA box itself? There a quite a few unofficial ones, I'm guessing that the quality of picture can vary between brands?

Comment

Not particularly, they just pass the VGA signal that the DC produces. They only really vary in different connections they offer (audio, s-video etc.).

At least not of the 4 or so types I've tried.

Sounds like it depends entirely on the quality of TFT monitor (I use CRT myself).

Comment

Sounds like I'll just have to wait until I get it then! Hopefully my LG Flatron will be able to produce a decent picture.

Comment

Originally posted by pentarou
                Could you post a pic of the VGA box itself? There a quite a few unofficial ones, I'm guessing that the quality of picture can vary between brands?
                can't post a pic sorry, but it's white with dc-vga on it, and it's got a vga out, s-video and composite sockets on, also 2 headphone sockets.

Comment

Sounds like the one I'm bidding on, cheers!

Comment

Sorry to hi-jack the topic, but is there a VGA box that has a VGA passthrough so you don't have to keep disconnecting your PC all the time?

Comment

I think 'Performance' made one with pass-through - that might be US only though and rare as rare stuff nowadays.

I use a passive VGA splitter, don't notice any degradation and it only cost about ?15 I think. You would have to buy decent VGA cables though, as cheapo ones have tons of ghosting.

Comment

Sounds like it might be wise for me to get a proper VGA box then, what with the 360 also using VGA.

Comment

Originally posted by trickytree
                          Not particularly, they just pass the VGA signal that the DC produces. They only really vary in different connections they offer (audio, s-video etc.).

At least not of the 4 or so types I've tried.

Sounds like it depends entirely on the quality of TFT monitor (I use CRT myself).
                          Well, I did think that too... but surely the same can be said about any kind of analogue connection then? You could theorietically say the same thing about RGB scart cables, and we all know how much they differ.

Not saying your wrong mind, but as I'm looking to buy a VGA box, I just thought I'd make that point.

Comment

In theory you're right, but I've never noticed a difference.

Comment

Yeah, I'd love to know of such a box, or maybe an vga switch with auto-switching.

What do you recommend guys?

EDIT

Silly me, didn't see this topic has 2 pages
                              Last edited by amorenod; 25-08-2005, 09:28.

Comment

Working...
                              X