No announcement yet.

Pal or NTSC XBox 360?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have asked Major Nelson about it, and Microsoft doesn't know about their region coding plans for XBOX 360 or different between US and PAL XBOX 360 for now.

If it have no region coding and no problem with display I would have a PAL one, but it is hard to know for now. All I have is an order on Amazon.co.uk for now and see what happens.

Comment

I dont think this 50/60hz issue will be a problem. After all if you have an HD ready set it will accept an NTSC 60hz 720p signal. So no need to include a 50hz option for HD (well at least for the games)

I also fully expecte the PAL60/50 option to still be in place for those without HD TV's.

VGA which seems to be the best option for the 360 is only 60hz anyway (at least i think so)

Comment

prices of games is obviously something to be considered too (don't think it's been mentioned above), this news on eurogamer suggests PAL games are going to be ?40 minimum.

It seems that £44.99 is the suggested retail price (SRP) for Xbox 360 games. Microsoft today confirmed that the standar…

Comment

sure you are all going to be using the VGA output?!

Comment

Most will be using component as thats whats included in the HD pack Id imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by NeilMcRae
              sure you are all going to be using the VGA output?!
              I sure as hell will be. My TV has a VGA-compatible DVI-I, why the hell not?

I've always felt VGA looked better than Component, besides it's a pure RGB connection, not compressed YPbPr.

We've always been nagging for a VGA-native mode on our consoles, we've got it.

Comment

I'm still sticking to an american one..... I'd prefer buying cheaper games, plus would hate PAL delays.

Comment

I still want a US model but still haven't found any decent US retailers that are taking orders yet

Comment

VG+ will start soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Light
                      I'm still sticking to an american one..... I'd prefer buying cheaper games, plus would hate PAL delays.
                      Same here.

I always say it, but I just don't understand why people on this of all sites, would buy PAL video game consoles? Is it solely the appeal of being able to pick up games from a store shelf?

If I can I generally avoid the European versions of anything - there's bound to be at least something out of place or overlooked from my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Angry the Clown
                        Well that's what the argument from gamers was about at the time wasn't it? That instead of doing such a thing they cut costs and delivered the same version to all PAL territories (anyone know if Australia got stuck with the censored version?)
                        I enquired about the Australian version when it was released and as they are PAL they too got the censored version of Ninja Gaiden.

Comment

XBOX 360 - do I get a US machine or UK? Thoughts?!

Hello all!

Firstly if this is in the wrong place - shoot me - no seriously I figured it would get more views here than in the pre order threads and other XBOX ones.

Right I have a dilemma!

Obviously like many of you I would love an XBOX 360, now my gut instinct tells me that like all my other consoles I should go for a NTSC US machine, but what with the whole worldwide launch, games being launched very close together (just like with the whole XBOX situation), potential for region free live games - and assuming I'm very much mistake everything going to be in lovely 60hz goodness, I might be being a bit hasty and too ahead of myself thinking I need to import right?

Obviously PAL has it's advantages in this case, cheaper, easier to source, no worries with live, or stepdowns. Just will I notice in the long run?

I've never seen an original PAL XBOX game that hasn't run in 60hz, which is obviously good, however they tend to fall victim to cuts and there is the chance that some quality titles won't get picked up for the UK market.

However I have quite a large library of US XBOX games, whilst I'm more than happy to keep my old machine, I will have loads of games I won't be able to play using backwards compatibility which isn't a major deal but would be nice!

To further add to my indecision my GF let slip that she has a pre order for the more expensive pack (with HDD etc) at the shop where she works and was the first order to go on the system so she's pretty much certain to get it. Not forgetting she gets a nice discount on games (30%) and here's the big one - she's offered to buy it for me for Christmas.....

Do I get the PAL one and always consider getting a US one further down the line?!

What's a man to do?!

Help please!
                          Last edited by Friction; 18-10-2005, 14:19. Reason: Forgot a point or two....

Comment

With the advent of the HD-era we are almost at the point where the 50/60 hz thing isn't an issue anymore. We have also seen that microsoft have been relatively good at bringing games to PAL shores quickly, only the odd game slipped through the net and didn't get released at all. I always used to import all my games , but it gets to a certain point where being able to nip into HMV and pick up a PAL game from the bargain bucked was too good to miss out. Also importing isn't even cheaper now as play.com and the likes sell the pal games for ?30 more than not.

Comment

I hear exactly what you are saying EvilBoris and you are bang on the money - I too miss the chance to pop down my local and get a game on a whim, but part of me knows popping down to get cut versions, or sub standard conversions is not an option!

Futher more doing more thinking, it was always my intention to get my 360 in the new year - the logic being have a total blowout on current gen stuff this xmas - I mean the money spot on a 360 would easily cover choice titles such as Prince of Persia 3, Phoenix Wright, Trauma Centre, Pursuit Force - the list just goes on an on.....

Also thinking if I wait for my 360 I avoid any problem machines - there always seems to be a few launch units that are buggered somehow, and I get better more desirable titles when I do come to invest......

Comment

To be honest, for the first time in a LONG time, I'm actually thinking about getting a PAL console this time around (assuming I get an Xbox360) simply because M$ have been good at the compatibility and release thing. Will probably still get it chipped down the line to play any game though
                                Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Working...
                                X