No announcement yet.

slimline ps2s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bit semi off topic but is there a shortage of ps2slim's at the moment? Looking for one to replace my V4.

Been around many stores and they are all out, all the boxes left on the shelves are V12, perhaps Sony's doing a recall job.

Comment

Try buying from on eof the big supermarkets as they have a much higher turnover of the Slimline PS2's. I got my version 13 from Tesco. Like you say there may be a 'secret' recall going on until the newer updated models are out...

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33
        Can't help about the general reliablilty, but when installing modchips, you need to install an additional fix to limit the voltages, or else you end up frying your laser. There are many fixes avalaible, taking different methods to achieve the same thing.
        Ok, pulling this back from a few months ago but this seems relevant to me.

I've had a chipped (old style, silver) PS2 for about 18 months now (bought new) and about 12 months ago the laser died on me. Managed to get it repaired, worked fine until just before Christmas, then dead again. I'm currently undertaking the arduous task of desperately trying to find a replacement laser for it.

From the sounds of it, I also need to get this additional fix done to it to prevent it happening again so can anyone recommend somewhere that can do it?

Also, anywhere that sells replacement lasers for the old style PS2s that people know of? I need my chipped PS2 back ;_;

Comment

niftyifty did Tesco's have the box on display so it was possible to check model number, or was it hit and miss?

Comment

Originally posted by C'
            Also, anywhere that sells replacement lasers for the old style PS2s that people know of? I need my chipped PS2 back ;_;

Yes - www.ps2repairs.co.uk

Ask for a guy called Lee when you call.

They're kind of pricey, but if you make it absolutely clear to him that you need a proper new laser from his stock, rather than a refurb, then the price isn't so bad.

Replacing the laser on the old size PS2s is easy, too - it's quite time consuming and definitely not something you should rush, but it's pretty straightforward.

Comment

Largo - I got my PS2 from Tesco with no checking so bit hit and miss really. My chipping guy in Birmingham recommended to go there instead of the smaller game stores. you can't tell with the box closed if it's a v13 (unless someone knows otherwise). The way I checked was;
              - When you get the console out of the box ALL v13's have a clear 'warranty void' sticker over the middle screw cover at the back of the console.

My chipping guy showed me on the motherboard of these PS2's where Sony have fixed the laser burning out by putting extra diodes on the motherboard. I'm not very technical so I hope i've remebered that bit right!

Comment

Thanks for the info, I went to Tesco extra today but all out, i swear it must be a Cornwall thing...ive been searching now for days and its starting to get stupid.
                I think it might be easier to just leave the hassle of buying a new ps2 to then be modded, and pick up a JPN and NTSC console....if money was no object.

Anyway thanks for your info nifty, hope i can give some info too; if you check the side of the PS2 boxes it actualy lists the version number there SCPH- etc. If it ends in a CB its v12.
                Glad you got a v13 though. I would hit and miss in a perfect world

Comment

Working...
                X