Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dead Pixels on PSP - is the situation improving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think that a healthy pixel can become dead or stuck over time. The damage is done when they're being made in the factory, not as a result of use. A perfect screen should stay that way.

While we're on the matter. My Japanese launch PSP had a perfect screen while my DS had a dead pixel. I should have ranted and raved on the internet about the DS build quality to even things out.

Comment

Cheers Billy

I've just bought a second hand PSP and it's got four 'stuck' pixels. They show up white when the screen is black, but are fine on all the other colours.

I've just used the dead pixel fixer video and it's generated another stuck pixel.

Does this mean that the pixel in question was poorly made, or likely to fail?

Comment

likely to fail. basically, if you hadn't run the video, it would have stuck after a few months, probably. or maybe a year even, depending on how often you use it and what you play on it

Comment

So basically even if you buy a PSP with a perfect screen, some of the pixels could end up being defective?

The person I bought the PSP off has offered me a full refund, but I'm in two minds now - should I take it and risk buying a PSP that has more stuck pixels (or worse - dead ones) or just keep it?

Comment

btw lads, you can get sharp screens for ?35 now from mrmodchips and also umd lasers for ?35. go fix those dodgy screens!*

*replacements could have dead/stuck pixels too though!

Comment

Originally posted by Duddyroar
              So basically even if you buy a PSP with a perfect screen, some of the pixels could end up being defective?
              Personally i think its something you'll have to accept on the PSP that some pixels might be dead or die.

Comment

everyone will die and everything will be destroyed. that is the way of the samurai.

(haohmaru, samurai shodown)

well it goes something like that anyway, i haven't played it in ages

Comment

Don't get too worried. If a pixel is dodgy then you'll know about it either straight after purchase or in a very short period of time. Odds are that one you'll buy will have a perfect screen.

Personally i think its something you'll have to accept on the PSP that some pixels might be dead or die.
                  That's something you'll have to accept on EVERY device that uses a TFT/LCD screen. PSP is no different.

Comment

Mmm, thats why on the 200(ish) LCD screens i've installed recently only 2 had faults. My PDA and all Colour mobiles have all been fine. Your making a big assumption that all LCD devices have faults.

I accept that they are more prone to these faults but it seems the PSP has more than usual.

Comment

I didn't say that all LCD devices will have faults - just the chance of a fault - especially if it's a high resolution screen, because there are obviously more pixels to go wrong.

If we're talking personal experience then of the 4 PSPs I've seen in the flesh, none had a defect. Both of my TFTs at home do (as do my flatmates') and my DS.

I just think that PSP has a bit of an undeserved reputation regarding dead pixels due to a relatively small number of people being so vocal with their ranting on the internet after having dropped ?300 at launch.
                      Last edited by SubparMario; 01-11-2005, 00:11.

Comment

Originally posted by wush
                        I just think that PSP has a bit of an undeserved reputation regarding dead pixels due to a relatively small number of people being so vocal with their ranting on the internet after having dropped ?300 at launch.
                        Probably, i'd be pissed if any of my stuff had dead pixels regardless of cost.

Comment

Working...
                        X