Apple OSX Leopard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple OSX Leopard

I know there are a few Mac fans on here. Today was the keynote address for the WWDC which previewed the new OSX 10.5 (which will debut next spring).

Here are the new features:

macOS Sonoma brings stunning screen savers, desktop widgets, new ways to share work and web apps along with fun personalization tools and Game mode.

'Time' Machine looks good.

'Spaces' is the abilty to have multiple desktops.

Regards
    Last edited by fumi; 07-08-2006, 22:52.

I'm not impressed at all by this upgrade. Surely 'Time Machine' is going to eat up disk space like it's going out of fashion?

Comment

solaris had a thing like spaces, im sure irix does too

Comment

Originally posted by Square
        I'm not impressed at all by this upgrade. Surely 'Time Machine' is going to eat up disk space like it's going out of fashion?
        I'm sure it'll be self-maintaining so that it'll clear older stuff as you make more use of the drive. (although it's probably designed with an external backup drive in mind)

So far I'm a bit disappointed - all seems very minor updates, although Time Machine seems like a good idea, in my opinion, despite the awful interface.

Spaces seems quite poorly designed to be honest, I would have thought Apple would do virtual desktops better than that.

I've yet to watch the keynote (servers must be swamped - it won't stream smoothly) so hopefully there's more info there. I was hoping to see the new finder, but that doesn't seem to have been shown off yet, and no word of resolution independence.

I don't see why people are comparing this to Longhorn though - Tiger is already ahead of it, and has been out for almost a year.

Comment

Doesn't seem like a huge upgrade over Tiger, which added some huge features over 10.3. Still, it's probably going to have the final version of Boot Camp (or something similar) that will add the ability to dual boot Vista which will be nice. I'll end up buying it anyway, though

What I do want is a maxed-out Mac Pro with 16GB RAM and 2TB hard drive space. Can anyone lend me $16,535?

Was anyone else particularly enjoying the banners that all took a dig at Vista? I saw "Hasta la vista, Vista", "Redmond, start your photocopiers", and "Redmond has a cat, too. A copycat." They can be pretty blatant:

Comment

Looks like I'll be buying a Mac Pro. I've been waiting for them pretty much since they announced the Intel switch....

On Leopard. The stuff I'm interested in is the developer tools. Finally garbage collection in Objective-C and XCode 3 looks yummy.

Oh and Mac OS shipping with Ruby on Rails is fantastic news.

Comment

Spaces looks very similar to the virtual desktops found in Enlightenmnet ( *nix window manager/Desktop shell ) .

Comment

Surely 'Time Machine' is going to eat up disk space like it's going out of fashion?

Not really, Intellimirror (on 2003 Server) allows you to specify an amount of disk space to use. Once this level is reached it deletes the oldest files.

Comment

You're supposed to use it with an external drive so nope I had misgivings about it at first but having watched the video demonstration I am now convinced. It's a very impressive feature.

Comment

The Web Clips quick widget creation looks hot.

Spaces isn't very exciting. We've seen that little quad of alternate desktops on Linux for years.

I liked how when the guy was introducing Time Machine, he mentioned a drive dying, yet all of the contents being safe. Huh? Where's it all stored? Magic Pixie Land? Then he goes on to say it's all on your external hard drive. So, really, the existance of the external hard drive and the foresight to make it a backup location saves the day.... which has been the case for a while now. Thanks, Time Machine!

Comment

Where can I see a video?

Comment

There's a stream of the keynote on Apple's front page. Hopefully the traffic has died down a little now.

As for Leopard, I am underwhelmed. I'm clinging on to the 'top secret' stuff being damn good because Spaces, Time Machine, etc are just bells and whistles. I already use Virtue Desktops for multiple desktops and have Super Duper! clone my drive every week. They're not things I can't do without. Same with all the Mail add-ons.

I'm hoping there's a Finder overhaul awaiting.

Comment

The thing is about Leopard I'm not sure what more I want from an OS in terms of bells and whistles that Tiger doesn't already give me. Its still damn good looking. Has everything I want to support the apps I use on a day to day basis. And is pretty stable (my PowerBook is used for hours every day and I've had one OS crash in 18 months or so).

From an end user perspective what more can my OS do for me....

I'm not sayiing its perfect but surely we're hitting the poiint with OS X (and Windows for that matter) of diminishing returns.

Comment

Rumours of more features: http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1957

I'm glad to see Resolution Independence. Hopefully you will also be able to completely disable font anti-aliasing/sub-pixel text rendering system wide. It's a crime that you can't do this in Tiger.

Comment

Originally posted by wush
                              Rumours of more features: http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1957

I'm glad to see Resolution Independence. Hopefully you will also be able to completely disable font anti-aliasing/sub-pixel text rendering system wide. It's a crime that you can't do this in Tiger.
                              Why on earth would you want to disable the font rendering in OSX!?? It's by far the best around.

Comment

Working...
                              X