• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's pug ugly and gets a bit hot

Comment

Originally posted by evilthecatuk View Post
      It's pug ugly and gets a bit hot
      Ah that's okay then. I thought you meant there was some sort of problem with them. It'll be behind the couch/ telephone stand anyway so it won't be seen/ the heat felt really.

When you had yours installed, did you just have the hub put in downstairs? Just at the minute I have my router upstairs (as that's where my PC/ game consoles/ streaming stuff is. I'm just wondering if I buy a long ethernet lead if the BT engineer will help me install it where I want it (upstairs).

Thanks for the replies

Comment

Originally posted by Synthesthesia View Post
        Ah that's okay then. I thought you meant there was some sort of problem with them. It'll be behind the couch/ telephone stand anyway so it won't be seen/ the heat felt really.

When you had yours installed, did you just have the hub put in downstairs? Just at the minute I have my router upstairs (as that's where my PC/ game consoles/ streaming stuff is. I'm just wondering if I buy a long ethernet lead if the BT engineer will help me install it where I want it (upstairs).

Thanks for the replies
        He probably will I'm sure you can fix the install point there is only certain engineers can do it and they seem to be spot on I mine was out to go on, just ask the guy

Comment

They can resite your master socket if you ask the engineer so you could put the whole kit upstairs.

The engineer I had was really canny so I'm sure they'll help you out if you ask nicely.

Comment

I can't really move the master socket (unless it keeps the one where it is too?) since there's a phone there that's the main phone for the house.

I've just read about something called a "Data Extension Kit" which sounds exactly what I asked BT about and they told me they charge for/ I would have to buy myself...and it seems that it's actually a part of the installation if you need it in another location, which makes much more sense to me as I doubt I'm the first customer who doesn't use their router right next to their master socket.

Comment

(normal copper ADSL win)

Comment

That is good for ADSL.

80/20 infinity via wifi. I have seen it as low as 6ms.

Comment

I win with my ~150m though. Yeah! Or something. And my ISP name has "fits in the name box" ftw. yay.

Comment

Well, last night with AOL, got the BT Open Reach engineer due to come between 1 and 6 to install Infinity .

Would be nice if I actually get near the predicted speed but even if not it's a lot better than 2.5mb!

Comment

My ISP is still tiscali/talktalk.. and amazingly the customer service via their twitter support account is very,very good. They facilitated getting a BT engineer to my house, and rescheduled the appointment a number of times for me at my request without hassle.

BT engineer has replaced the drop line to my house, as it was corroded and pretty much falling to pieces which explains the random disconnects that have been the bane of my live recently - however when asked about infinity, he said that because I am SO close to the exchange and don't have a 'green (distribution) box' in the village we wouldn't get infinity - probably ever. Interesting that...

I proceeded to tell him of at least 3 green boxes that were within spitting distance of my house, so I didn't put a lot in it.

Anyway, the upshot is that I'm waiting for the DSLAM to realise my line is good and take me back up to a higher profile (I'm on 7616kb at the moment). My download speeds are around 6.3mbs on a good day..

Comment

BT been around, all done, great.

Comment

Me too
                          Last edited by gware; 19-07-2012, 20:32.

Comment

I moved into a flat in July and we've got no internet at the moment. My flatmate ordered Virgin 30Mb(?22/month) but there have been delays while they were processing the confirmation letter from the landlord. Last week the contractor was unable to install the cable as our flat is on a red route so no parking at all during the day(only evenings, Saturday afternoons and all day Sunday) and we've been told they can't start work until 16th September at the earliest because the council is not allowing any drilling, etc, during the Olympics and Paralympics.

The guy I spoke with said they've passed it on to their area something manager. The manager decides whether to go ahead with an evening/Sunday install or not. Worse, if the manager says no, they'll blacklist the property due to the parking restrictions! It seems silly because it's in Angel which is quite hip and, once they've installed the stuff, any future tenants will be easily convinced to join as it's already in place(and no BT line rental necessary).

I asked him to add the parking timings to our notes which should hopefully help their decision.

Anyway, I'm looking at alternatives and am thinking about O2.

We have a phone line but it's very likely disconnected. I know in the past it took a few weeks to activate ADSL on a line but not sure what it's like now. Either way, I expect there won't be any major wiring work needed - especially on the pavement - like we'd need with Virgin.

The O2 package I'm looking at is ?25.50/month(first three months are ?13) and they let you do a rolling contract for a ?30 fee. Connection is free as I'm with O2 mobile already so that's ?13 saved. Our contract with the landlord is six months and I'm thinking the three of us should get another flat around then so don't want to do a full year. One of them might have to go back to Japan in January anyway due to her visa running out.

A mate is recommending Be, which would be ?33/month with the phone line but a 12 month contract. They offer 3 month contracts but don't mention phone line so I expect these are meant for people who already have one.

At the moment I'm not fussed about being without internet(I get 500MB/month on my phone for basic stuff/tethering) but my flatmates are going nuts!

:update:

Just spoke with O2. ?43 charge for the BT line install and it's possible they'll hit the same snag regarding 16th September. Might just stick with Virgin in that case.
                            Last edited by randombs; 22-08-2012, 15:52.

Comment

Nifty ping this evening on my normal copper:

Comment

Anyone got Sky Fibre? I'll have to look closer but I think it is cheaper than Virgin.

Comment

Working...
                                X