Wii Ethernet connection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boggy
    Thats exactly the thing i used! its a shame we cant go online straight away but there's no games to play only a few message boards and the like
    But isnt there supposedly a firmware update? And what about if i wanted VC games (which i do???) And if you have used one, they are in production so why not release it?!?! Im disappointed in this. looks like no VC games until this thing is released than ft:

Comment

pick up a cheapy wireless router or the DS dongle....

Comment

Yeah it seems strange they're not available from the off.

Access resources to learn everything you need to know about Wii & Wii mini.

has the information, first week in january.

Comment

i got a wireless router. Just have no idea how to set the bastard up. Everytime i do my internet ****s itself. Something about conflicting IP adresses, and i am as useless as tits on a bull with these things. DS dongle it may have to be but will that give me slower speeds?

EDIT: Oh and if i buy a Wi-Fi thing from Japan, will it work on my PAL Wii and DS?

Comment

i thought that the ethernet was going to be the standard. so im guessing its wireless then?

Comment

The only thing I'd need a router for was the Wii, so seem more frugle to get a DS Dongle.

*gulp* ?27.99 .... The Wii is getting more expensive
              Last edited by MiaBocca; 20-11-2006, 13:39.

Comment

For the extra cost of a tenner or so you might as well just get a router - otherwise you'll surely regret the extra hassle of setting up sharing over a USB dongle.
                We sell long-lasting power supply units that use less electricity than factory standard chargers and plugs.

I know I'm getting tired of forums postings asking for help with these stupid dongles - please make sure you understand TCP/IP, NAT & routing before you order one.

Stroller.

Comment

My problem is my PC & Cable modem are at the other end of the house from the living room where the wii is going - As I said I have a cable running the length of the place which I use for 360 and had hoped to simply swap it over to the wii when I wanted to use it online.

This is balls do I now need to stick a wireless access point in the living room connected to the RJ45 then connect the wii and 360 ?

can't believe there's no RJ45 socket I mean save money but ffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Strolls
                    I know I'm getting tired of forums postings asking for help with these stupid dongles - please make sure you understand TCP/IP, NAT & routing before you order one.

Stroller.
                    lol

Comment

Hi guys,
                      I appreciate this is annoying for anyone with a bit of technical knowledge but it looks like i'm gonna end up buying some wireless kit to get me online with the Wii then and wondered if someone could answer a couple of things for me. (Trawled the net already but still not clear - sorry)

Basically I get my broadband from NTL through a set top box modem (i.e downstairs where my TV is)
                      A connection runs outside my house and into a box in my room upstairs which is basically and Ethernet connection.
                      An Ethernet cable runs from this connection box into a USB converter and into my PC.
                      For 360 I simply run an ethernet from this box into the 360 and having copied the MAC adddress from my PC onto 360 it seems to work fine.

When it comes to Wii what will I need to make it most simple?
                      I expect a Wireless router will plug into this ethernet connection upstairs and then the Wii will pick this up?
                      I do not have a wireless card in my PC though so will I need a USB dongle to get my PC online?

So sorry to sound thick as pig Sh!t but I have let wireless just past me by and no nothing about it.
                      I know NTL set top box users have had issues with things in the past as NTL only issue one IP address or something so will this have an effect.
                      So sorry, can anyone clear this up who has the same setup.
                      Cheers.
                      Ross.

Comment

I was told the other day someone couldnt get their PS2 online with NTL until they registered the PS2's MAC address too, and paid an extra ?10 a month.

I said 'why didnt you just use a NAT setup they wouldnt have known any different"

and didnt get a response.

Comment

When using my 360 I just copy my Pc's MAC address into the alternate MAC address box in the 360 setup. Works a treat. Dunno if I can do this with Wii though. As I said in my previous post, the wireless stuff blows my mind cos I dont really know how it works. Anyone got an NTL set top box setup and made it wireless?

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshimax-UK
                            My problem is my PC & Cable modem are at the other end of the house from the living room where the wii is going - As I said I have a cable running the length of the place ...
                            This is balls do I now need to stick a wireless access point in the living room connected to the RJ45 then connect the wii and 360 ?
                            If distance is a problem & you don't mind the cable then I'd go for the USB ethernet adaptor. I like wires: you know where you are with wires, they're reliable.

If distance is a problem & you don't like wires then take a look at the Devolo HomePlug kit. It also requires the Wii's USB ethernet adaptor, but your cabling is from your router the nearest mains socket & from the Wii to the nearest mains socket.

If you want to save the trouble of disconnecting your 360 to plug in your Wii then just get a cheap switch - this is what you might call an "ethernet splitter".

Stroller.

Comment

Originally posted by Grudge
                              ...Basically I get my broadband from NTL through a set top box modem (i.e downstairs where my TV is)
                              A connection runs outside my house and into a box in my room upstairs which is basically and Ethernet connection.
                              An Ethernet cable runs from this connection box into a USB converter and into my PC.
                              For 360 I simply run an ethernet from this box into the 360 and having copied the MAC adddress from my PC onto 360 it seems to work fine.
                              The easiest thing to do is get a cheap wireless router.

The reason you have to clone your Mac address is because you're using a hub or switch at the moment. As well as ethernet-in a wireless router will usually also have 4 ethernet-out ports, but the great thing about a router is that it hides the MAC addresses of your network from the NTL cable modem. Thus you only have to clone your MAC address once onto the router (or just reset the MAC address that the cable modem will talk to to that of the router - you may have to get NTL to do this, or the modem may reset itself if powered off for 24 hours or so) and then reset the MAC address of the Xbox 360 back to its original MAC (then in future the Xbox will be able to go online at the same time as your PC).

If you shop with DigiDave then this is actually cheaper than buying the USB ethernet adaptor and you don't have to worry about whether it's possible to spoof MAC addresses on the Wii.

You're really in the position in which you should be replacing your current hub or switch (the ethernet box upstairs) with a router - it's the correct tool for this job.

Stroller.

Comment

how can i improve my wireless signal, it wont reach my tv as i have thick walls,

Comment

Working...
                                X